Jerky Treats...They seem dangerous...

LouLanaro

Mar 31, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Hi All

I have purchased Chicken breast jerky treats and found only 4 or 5 in a pack... at 2 to 3 months old I would break them up and give pieces... now I am scared to give to him because he doesn't chew much and tries to swallow them. I've pulled a few out of his mouth before he chocked..

I purchased a dehydrator and made some of my own but now not giving them anymore. He is 6 months old now and just wants to swallow them..

Anyone else have same experience?

Regards
Lou

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I haven't found a solution. I used to give him dental bones and dehydrated sweet potatoes but he doesn't chew them enough. He did chew better if I held it while he gnawed the dental bones. I've pretty much stopped giving him these things.

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
My husband got some jerky treats and the little schnauzer loves them--chew,chew,chew. EBD Frith--not so much--same story as yours: tried to swallow and choked. I think it depends upon the temperament of your dog.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I just won't risk it… bulldogs are notorious for swallowing everything whole. There are SO many more treat options to choose from...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I just won't risk it… bulldogs are notorious for swallowing everything whole. There are SO many more treat options to choose from...

Agreed

OP
L

LouLanaro

Mar 31, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Thanks for replies
Mine lives only for food and treats so to make him happy I give him semi soft treat I make myself from recipe the kindergarten dog trainer gave me..

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thanks for replies
Mine lives only for food and treats so to make him happy I give him semi soft treat I make myself from recipe the kindergarten dog trainer gave me..

Hi Lou, you've been given great advice and I totally agree with not giving these treats, as they are dangerous. Go with your gut instinct, plus you know your dog. Many bullies are food motivated and they just inhale their food without chewing it first. My guys just grab and swallow treats, so I stay away from treats that are hard or big pieces, like jerky treats, Nylabones, milk bones etc. I buy them Benny Bully Freeze Dried Liver and I break them up, they are all natural just liver and preservatives or colours added, and they are soft, I give them fruitables treats ( the little ones) and also Well ess soft chews, or Zekes peanut butter treats, which are also all natural. The only other treats they get are fruits like bananas, cut up apples, strawberries, blueberries, or watermelon. I give them yogurt and peanut butter, and you can make frozen treats out of these in the summer. I take a ice cube tray and place plain yogurt and a tsp of peanut butter in each cup and place it in the freezer. I used to give them baby carrots, but now only give them cooked carrots, because they didn't chew them and they would poop out baby carrot bullets. Lol

whereabouts in Canada are you from? And I was wondering if you would share the soft treat recipe you make? I'm always looking for good recipes for homemade food or treats for my guys. Thank You in advance.

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
Yeah I've given up on giving Boris any treats that requiring chewing before swallowing as he'll usually swallow it whole and puke it up later on in the evening... My GF makes him frozen yogurt and coconut oil treats in ice cube trays mixed with ground pumpkin and they do the job and save us some money on treats :D

OP
L

LouLanaro

Mar 31, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
whereabouts in Canada are you from? And I was wondering if you would share the soft treat recipe you make? I'm always looking for good recipes for homemade food or treats for my guys. Thank You in advance.

Hi Vikinggirl
I live in Collingwood Ontario

Here is the recipe and a few Pictures
I used a jerky gun but The trainer just spread over cookie sheet then cut with Pizza Cutter

"From Her"
2 Cans of Sardines/Tuna/Salmon (I often
do 1 can of sardines and one can of Tuna)
2 Sleeves of soda crackers
6 Eggs

Blend everything together. Add a little extra oil/water just to make the mixture more spreadable (never have really measured how much
unfortunately, but the end result should be a mixture that spreads over a cookie sheet pretty easily). It shouldn't been too thick.

Spread entire mixture over a cookie sheet so that it covers the full sheet. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. Will be lightly golden. Let cool. Score into pieces (a pizza cuter works awesome for this!). Soft treats, so easy to break down smaller after as well.

Lasts about 4 days in fridge, but for ages in freezer!

blender.jpgblender1.jpg
gun.jpgtreats2.jpg

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Lou. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I'll definitely have to try these. I'm sure my cat would probably go crazy for them as well, with all that fish in them. She always sits beside the dog bowls while they are eating and waits for them to finish so she can lick the bowls. She swats me with her paw ( she's declawed) as well when she sees them getting a treat, because she wants one too.

I live in Burlington, Ontario, maybe I will see you and Harley at Woofstock one day, or at a future Bully Meetup. I sometimes go to the Toronto Group Meetups.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
The FDA is still warning about jerky treats purchased at stores.

OP
L

LouLanaro

Mar 31, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Hi Lou. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I'll definitely have to try these. I'm sure my cat would probably go crazy for them as well, with all that fish in them. She always sits beside the dog bowls while they are eating and waits for them to finish so she can lick the bowls. She swats me with her paw ( she's declawed) as well when she sees them getting a treat, because she wants one too.

I live in Burlington, Ontario, maybe I will see you and Harley at Woofstock one day, or at a future Bully Meetup. I sometimes go to the Toronto Group Meetups.

Hi Vikinggirl
I don't get that way that much but never know..

OP
L

LouLanaro

Mar 31, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
The FDA is still warning about jerky treats purchased at stores.

Hi

Don't buy them

Make mine now from ground meat and dehydrate
they are a bit more forgiving than sliced chicken breast or beef

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.