Introducing Winston Bartholomew šŸ¤—

Winston Bartholomew

Jul 29, 2023
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston Bartholomew
Hello all, just joined this morning so finding my way around.

I have a 14 week old british/ old english bully boy who is now 15.3 kgs, he has a waist and can feel his ribs if I apply a little pressure on the rolls , I was wondering if this weight is common and also he has these little blister type lumps that have just appeared on his face around his eye, can anyone share their opinions on this please
Ange

OP
Winston Bartholomew

Winston Bartholomew

Jul 29, 2023
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston Bartholomew
20230730_083928.jpg

OP
Winston Bartholomew

Winston Bartholomew

Jul 29, 2023
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston Bartholomew
Welcome!

Agree, ingrown hair and cysts it could be like @Manydogs said.

It also could be like my dog, My dog gets those on his face and all over from allergy flares, those for my dog are hives/bumps. Is she itchy, red skin or have any more???

Stress can lso cause the bumps/Yes

Welcome!

It also could be like my dog, My dog gets those on his face and all over from allergy flares, those for my dog are hives/bumps. Is she itchy, red skin or have any more???

Stress can also cause the bumps/hives too.

Welcome!

Welcome!

Yes he has anotherone on the other eye, he got into my pig face succulent yesterday also had a baby sitter yesterday so I could go shopping and I didn't notice them the day before. He's not itching anywhere and they don't seem red. He doesn't seem bothered by them too. He goes to the vet for his needle tomorrow so I'll get him checked over to be sure , thank you very much for your reply, also I've only had him for 2 weeks so I guess he's adjusting too šŸ˜Š

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Yes he has anotherone on the other eye, he got into my pig face succulent yesterday also had a baby sitter yesterday so I could go shopping and I didn't notice them the day before. He's not itching anywhere and they don't seem red. He doesn't seem bothered by them too. He goes to the vet for his needle tomorrow so I'll get him checked over to be sure , thank you very much for your reply, also I've only had him for 2 weeks so I guess he's adjusting too šŸ˜Š

Keep us updated on what the vet says tomorrow

OP
Winston Bartholomew

Winston Bartholomew

Jul 29, 2023
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston Bartholomew
Welcome to EBN Winston Bartholomew ļæ¼ . Glad to hear you are taking him to the Vet to get it checked out. Better safe than sorr

Welcome to EBN Winston Bartholomew :welcome4: . Glad to hear you are taking him to the Vet to get it checked out. Better safe than sorry.
Will do, just a quick question, if I feed Winston Orijen puppy as well as raw meat, should I scale down the amount of the normal daily requirements of bickies, I heard feeding your dog raw clean meat can increase their life span up to 3 years. šŸ˜Š

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Will do, just a quick question, if I feed Winston Orijen puppy as well as raw meat, should I scale down the amount of the normal daily requirements of bickies, I heard feeding your dog raw clean meat can increase their life span up to 3 years. šŸ˜Š

Yes feeding raw dog food can definitely increase lifespan and prevent health issues.

Raw meat is not to go to grocery store or butcher and buy just meat only and then feed it to the dog.

Commercial raw diet that contains meat, organs and ground bone is what you want to look for. The organs is the most nutritious part of the raw diet.

You would feed 1 meal raw(50% of the recommended daily amount), then 1 meal kibble(50% if the daily recommended amount of the kibble).

If your in Canada- these are good brands of raw dog food:
-Artisan
-Carnivora
-Big Country Raw

Raw dog food brands in US:
-Vital essentials
-Darwins
-BJ raw.

Definitely recommend rotating proteins to prevent food allergies and picky eaters.

If you can do only raw diet, thatā€™s best but I know thatā€™s not always a option.

OP
Winston Bartholomew

Winston Bartholomew

Jul 29, 2023
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston Bartholomew
Yes feeding raw dog food can definitely increase lifespan and prevent health issues.

Raw meat is not to go to grocery store or butcher and buy just meat only and then feed it to the dog.

Commercial raw diet that contains meat, organs and ground bone is what you want to look for. The organs is the most nutritious part of the raw diet.

You would feed 1 meal raw(50% of the recommended daily amount), then 1 meal kibble(50% if the daily recommended amount of the kibble).

-Artisan

-Carnivora

-Big Country Raw

-Vital essentials

-Darwins

-BJ raw.

Definitely recommend rotating proteins to prevent food allergies and picky eaters.

If you an do only raw diet, thatā€™s best but I know thatā€™s not always a option.

Thats great thankyou, at the moment they get raw mince chopped beef liver heart and kidney, although Wingo ston doesn't get the liver because it makes him

-Artisan
-Carnivora
-Big Country Raw

-Vital essentials
-Darwins
-BJ raw.

If you can do only raw diet, thatā€™s best but I know thatā€™s not always a option.
Thankyou thats great, at the moment they get mince chopped beef kidney heart and liver although Winston doesn't get the liver because it makes him go crazy šŸ¤£, so if I can get the bone meal from the butcher do you think this will be ok,
You said raw only is best, so it won't hurt them not to have bickies at all ?, also Winston is 15.3 kgs at 14 weeks, from what I've researched, he is over weight , I don't want to put too much strain on his little legs too early, is this weight normal for that age being an entire male. Sorry for the questions but he's my first bulldog and I want to give him the very best šŸ˜Š

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Thankyou thats great, at the moment they get mince chopped beef kidney heart and liver although Winston doesn't get the liver because it makes him go crazy šŸ¤£, so if I can get the bone meal from the butcher do you think this will be ok,
You said raw only is best, so it won't hurt them not to have bickies at all ?, also Winston is 15.3 kgs at 14 weeks, from what I've researched, he is over weight , I don't want to put too much strain on his little legs too early, is this weight normal for that age being an entire male. Sorry for the questions but he's my first bulldog and I want to give him the very best šŸ˜Š

No worries- we are here to answer as many questions as you needšŸ™‚

So your just giving liver and kidney only?

Ideally the raw diet should contain 70%-80% muscle meat, 10%-12% ground bone and the rest organ meat(liver, kidney, heart, lung, and spleen) but minimum for organs is heart, kidney and liver if the other organs arenā€™t used.
Organs need to be minimum of 10% and the more the better(some brands use 15% organ which is good).

They donā€™t need the kibble, thatā€™s for convenience for us humans. Raw diet is best if you can feed all raw and no kibble. Itā€™s easier if itā€™s commercial premade raw(like the brands I mentioned).

What is Bickies??? Yes 100% raw diet is best and highly recommended if you can. Itā€™s also good for weight issues cause there isnā€™t carbs to make them overweight. And the moisture keeps them hydrated.

Itā€™s hard to tell without seeing a photo of his sides if he is overweight or not.
You should be able to feel his ribs.

Where are you located?? Canada or USA?

I donā€™t recommend feeding butcher food as itā€™s too high in fat and a lot of butchers use the fat scraps instead of the meats and donā€™t use enough(if any) of the organs and bone.
Especially for a puppy, keeping his food high quality and rotating proteins, and making sure there is enough bone and organ and meat is very important.
I personally donā€™t recommend giving raw dog food from butchers for that reason.

Raw diet can prevent many health issues and even treat some health issues, itā€™s best to start them on high quality food when a pup to keep them healthy. And cause butchers use too much fat that can cause pancreatitis too.
I recommend getting him on a high quality raw dog food brand(I listed some really good ones in my last response).

If you have any more questions- just askšŸ˜Š

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
If youā€™re feeding a puppy raw, it must be appropriately balance for every meal. Once an adult, you can balance over time but a puppy needs a balanced meal to ensure it grows properly.

OP
Winston Bartholomew

Winston Bartholomew

Jul 29, 2023
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston Bartholomew
No worries- we are here to answer as many questions as you needšŸ™‚

So your just giving liver and kidney only?

Ideally the raw diet should contain 70%-80% muscle meat, 10%-12% ground bone and the rest organ meat(liver, kidney, heart, lung, and spleen) but minimum for organs is heart, kidney and liver if the other organs arenā€™t used.
Organs need to be minimum of 10% and the more the better(some brands use 15% organ which is good).

They donā€™t need the kibble, thatā€™s for convenience for us humans. Raw diet is best if you can feed all raw and no kibble. Itā€™s easier if itā€™s commercial premade raw(like the brands I mentioned).

What is Bickies??? Yes 100% raw diet is best and highly recommended if you can. Itā€™s also good for weight issues cause there isnā€™t carbs to make them overweight. And the moisture keeps them hydrated.

Itā€™s hard to tell without seeing a photo of his sides if he is overweight or not.
You should be able to feel his ribs.

Where are you located?? Canada or USA?

I donā€™t recommend feeding butcher food as itā€™s too high in fat and a lot of butchers use the fat scraps instead of the meats and donā€™t use enough(if any) of the organs and bone.
Especially for a puppy, keeping his food high quality and rotating proteins, and making sure there is enough bone and organ and meat is very important.
I personally donā€™t recommend giving raw dog food from butchers for that reason.

Raw diet can prevent many health issues and even treat some health issues, itā€™s best to start them on high quality food when a pup to keep them healthy. And cause butchers use too much fat that can cause pancreatitis too.
I recommend getting him on a high quality raw dog food brand(I listed some really good ones in my last response).

If you have any more questions- just askšŸ˜Š
I'm in Australia, they get human grade mince and diced rump, kidney heart and liver, but if you can recommend the best raw dog foods for us Aussies that would be very helpful because I'm getting mixed opinions from others, we are off to the vets now for his needle so I'll have the vet look at those bumps on his face and repost when I know, again thankyou , its a GREAT comfort having you all here to help me give Winston the very best care šŸ˜Š šŸ˜€