Hello all.. Haven't been to the boards in a bit. Lord Stanley's had a rough few years. He's 9 now... He's been struggling with kidney disease and arthritis. Which brings me to my question... How do you know when it's time to make that unthinkable decision? How do I know that I'm just not prolonging his life unnaturally for my own benefit? We're certainly not ready to say goodbye and I don't know what my life looks like without him. But his arthritis is bad, and we have limited pain management choices due to his Kidney disease. His BP keeps spiking to over 200 top number and we're managing that with 2 meds.. But he eats (kidney diet canned food), drinks, pees, poops, still plays for a few minutes ever few days.. But he mostly sleeps and lately, we've been having a harder and harder time getting him up in the morning to take his meds and eat.
So.. Those of you that had to make the hardest decision, how did you come to it? When did you know?
Iām sorry to hear this!
I have 2 dogs with kidney disease and one of them has bad arthritis. They were diagnosed with kidney disease 19 months ago and the vet said they only had 6 months at most of life left, the vet food made my dogs kidneys worse, and so many more issues.
My one dog with arthritis that was diagnosed with kidney disease first she was 6 when diagnosed and my other dog was 5 when diagnosed, the older one just turned 8 years old, and the other turned 7 years. The older one wasnāt well enough to go for walks, had no energy, lost 10 pounds from the kidney disease.
However, I switched them to a low phosphorus and low sodium raw diet, and BOTH dogs kidneys levels in bloodwork are ALL in the normal range and the vet is very surprised they are still here and is very happy.
Are you in Canada??
You donāt have to restrict protein, itās phosphorus you need to restrict and a little less sodium. Low protein can worsen the quality of life and make them feel sick, and also over work the kidneys too, they NEED protein.
For the arthritis, I give Thrive(thatās the brand) -Green Lipped Mussels powder, thatās been amazing, and rare when she is extra sore I give CBD oil.
They also need the moisture in the diet, kibble dehydrates them causing more work for the kidneys.
Also I give them Pet Well-being Kidney Support Gold Supplement thatās really good and eases the workload on the kidneys, and it helps with appetite and them feeling sick, my dog perked up and stopped drinking 6 dishes of water(each water bowl is 2 Litres), the supplement is amazing for them and improves the quality of life for them.
The green lipped mussels and CBD oil wonāt hurt the kidneys. I check everything that goes into my dogs to make sure itās safe.
Which canned food are you giving her??
Hills KD?
Does he eat any kibble?
Do you give any treats?
What are you giving for arthritis??
Why he medications does he get?
The vet food creates more work for the kidneys.
Iām happy to help, if you have anymore questions/concerns!
Here is a helpful article;
When it comes to kidney diet for dogs, there's one thing your dog must have in his food. Read more about diets for dogs with kidney disease or kidney failure.
www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com