URGENT!!! HELP with food selection food to transition (new four legged mommy)

Hanks Mom

Jul 5, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
Hello to all.

We just got a EBD. His name is Hank. He is 10 weeks old. The breeder was feeding him Victor and his stool was really soft, really dark and smelled really bad. After tons of google searches we decided narrowed it down to Royal Canin and Canidae. Took a trip to Petco to make a final decision and please tell me why we ended up walking out with Orijen Puppy Food. I have been transitioning Hank for the last 2 days. I have found myself mashing the kibbles so it is easier for him to eat. Which has been a bit or a transition for him but we were getting there. I was happy his stool was not as dark, it was firmer and it wasn't as smelly..YEY!! Today it seems to have become soft again and it has been a struggle getting him to eat it now. This made me concerned so my gut tells me we need to go back to our original choices. So we found ourselves researching again. Upon further research it seems Royal Canin has many mixed reviews so we are leaning more to Canidae. ANY HELP WOULD BE GLADLY APPRECIATED. WE NEED TO GET HANK EATING AGAIN ASAP.

MUCH LOVE TO ALL AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Orijen is good, as is Acana. Have you tried to soak the kibble? Pour hot water (boiled, not hot from tap!) over the kibble and then wait until it has cooled down (do not feed hot food!).

It often takes a week to transition from one food to another.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello to all.

We just got a EBD. His name is Hank. He is 10 weeks old. The breeder was feeding him Victor and his stool was really soft, really dark and smelled really bad. After tons of google searches we decided narrowed it down to Royal Canin and Canidae. Took a trip to Petco to make a final decision and please tell me why we ended up walking out with Orijen Puppy Food. I have been transitioning Hank for the last 2 days. I have found myself mashing the kibbles so it is easier for him to eat. Which has been a bit or a transition for him but we were getting there. I was happy his stool was not as dark, it was firmer and it wasn't as smelly..YEY!! Today it seems to have become soft again and it has been a struggle getting him to eat it now. This made me concerned so my gut tells me we need to go back to our original choices. So we found ourselves researching again. Upon further research it seems Royal Canin has many mixed reviews so we are leaning more to Canidae. ANY HELP WOULD BE GLADLY APPRECIATED. WE NEED TO GET HANK EATING AGAIN ASAP.

Stay away from the Royal Canin, Canidae, Science Hill as full of grains. Stick to orijen as mentioned but for puppies. No crushing kibbles needed. When you do a transition itā€™s normal for loose stools. Add some organic pumpkin purĆ©e like a tablespoon with meals n it should stop the loose stools. You can also do a search at the top corner of this forum. Tons of great info :yes: or do as you just didā€¦ask away.

OP
H

Hanks Mom

Jul 5, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
Stay away from the Royal Canin, Canidae, Science Hill as full of grains. Stick to orijen as mentioned but for puppies. No crushing kibbles needed. When you do a transition itā€™s normal for loose stools. Add some organic pumpkin purĆ©e like a tablespoon with meals n it should stop the loose stools. You can also do a search at the top corner of this forum. Tons of great info :yes: or do as you just didā€¦ask away.

Thank you...I have been doing so much reading on this EBD page so overwhelming lol. By any chance have you ever used Formms? If so any thoughts on Formms vs Orijen?

- - - Updated - - -

Orijen is good, as is Acana. Have you tried to soak the kibble? Pour hot water (boiled, not hot from tap!) over the kibble and then wait until it has cooled down (do not feed hot food!).

It often takes a week to transition from one food to another.

Thank you. By any chance have you ever used Formms? If so any thoughts on Formms vs Orijen?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Both are great kibblesā€¦. Orijen has the option of novel and single proteins. I used to feed Fromm Pork and Peas which my guys did great on but I opted to switch to raw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Definitely both are great. As puppies I only used Orijen as itā€™s higher quality especially in protein n vitamins for puppies.

Acana, Fromm n Zignature are great. If you use Orijen n around 6months old you go to Acana single protein bags, thereā€™s no need for transit as itā€™s the same company. That being said, if you can go raw, go for it. Even better than any kibble. You will avoid so many EB health issues down the road. Or at least do half halfā€¦or, top kibble with raw organs :yes: just a thought.

7B0F53EF-C837-4CF7-8EC4-5A96F4F6AED5.jpeg49EB88A0-50A8-4564-BAD0-49E07CF4ECF6.jpegCA4E66C3-AEFE-47B3-8EA2-44B8D68F5B34.jpeg

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Thank you. By any chance have you ever used Formms? If so any thoughts on Formms vs Orijen?

No, Fromm isn't available here. Our Castor did better on Acana than on Orijen - it seemed like Orijen was a bit too "rich" for his tummy. But all dogs are different so what suits one tummy might not work for another one!

Petal

Sep 11, 2021
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
My bully is 9yrs old he having some tummy troubles. But put him on pedigree dry mixer with meaty chunks in gravy.he was loving it but they have had a recall on the drymixer.we in uk .so only have few days left on this food now.so please advise what food would help my winstypops.his poop is tidy aswell now. Dreading to have to change him again.i have thort of raw. But dont know uf he will take to it now at his age.please advise ASAP for best dry for us at the u.k many thanks in advance.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My bully is 9yrs old he having some tummy troubles. But put him on pedigree dry mixer with meaty chunks in gravy.he was loving it but they have had a recall on the drymixer.we in uk .so only have few days left on this food now.so please advise what food would help my winstypops.his poop is tidy aswell now. Dreading to have to change him again.i have thort of raw. But dont know uf he will take to it now at his age.please advise ASAP for best dry for us at the u.k many thanks in advance.
Try James Well Beloved of if you can get Acana.

Frost

Jun 20, 2020
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
If his stool still soft, add spoonful of canned pumpkin to his kibble.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Hello to all.

Too much food can cause soft stools and unwillingness to eat when presented. Try backing off on the qty a bit. Bulldogs donā€™t always need as much food as other more active breedsā€¦(lb for lb).

rwalks

Aug 26, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
Thank you...I have been doing so much reading on this EBD page so overwhelming lol. By any chance have you ever used Formms? If so any thoughts on Formms vs Orijen?

- - - Updated - - -

My EBD had a difficult time with food. At 10 weeks we went through 6 different kibbles before finding FROMM puppy choit. It saved him. He loves it and never has any loose stools from it. At a year we transitioned him to FROMM adult choit. It is not available in stores by me but I order it from Petflow.com and it ships super fast. Good luck!

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.