OP
D

Dmrock

Sep 1, 2023
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Newman
I don't have experience with Merrick but the backcountry raw infused puppy doesn't seem to terrible. You can always give it a try to see how the puppy does. I personally avoid potatoes (and sweet potatoes) as they are pretty starchy and can contribute to yeast.
So the healthy grains would be the wise choice?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
So the healthy grains would be the wise choice?
My preference is to feed a kibble with the ancient grains. Some people feed grain free. It is all a personal preference and what will work for your dog. There are some dogs that might be allergic to rice but for me, if my dog can tolerate the grains, then I will continue to feed it.

OP
D

Dmrock

Sep 1, 2023
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Newman
Yes, Open Farm is a dry kibble and you can get it on Amazon as well. I use the Ancient Grains formula. I have 4 dogs (1 Frenchie and 3 bulldogs) and have never fed a specific puppy formula to any to of them. You can just look for All Life Stages on whatever brand you decide.

One thing to note, and again, it's up to you, but I generally would avoid a high protein kibble for a bulldog puppy as there is a possibility it can affect their growth and make their legs turn out. I have seen it happen. I look for a protein % of 24 - 26. Nature's Logic will be recommended to you and while it is good food, IMO the protein is too high for a growing puppy and I wouldn't want to take the chance.
I found the open farm ancient grain all life stages on Amazon. On the outside of the bag is says homestead turkey but in the special ingredients it has chicken listed? Can you tell me which one specifically you use? Thanks

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I found the open farm ancient grain all life stages on Amazon. On the outside of the bag is says homestead turkey but in the special ingredients it has chicken listed? Can you tell me which one specifically you use? Thanks
I rotate through turkey, pork, lamb, salmon, whitefish and then give chicken here and there. Pretty much all the flavors except for beef.

I looked at the ingredient list and I donā€™t see chicken listed. Maybe you had the chicken flavor highlighted by mistake.

IMG_5134.png

OP
D

Dmrock

Sep 1, 2023
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Newman
I rotate through turkey, pork, lamb, salmon, whitefish and then give chicken here and there. Pretty much all the flavors except for beef.

I looked at the ingredient list and I donā€™t see chicken listed. Maybe you had the chicken flavor highlighted by mistake.

View attachment 124645
This is the one I was looking at and if you go down to product information it says special ingredients chicken am I looking at the wrong one? Open Farm Ancient Grains Dry Dog Food, Humanely Raised Meat Recipe with Wholesome Grains and No Artificial Flavors or Preservatives (Homestead Turkey Ancient Grain, 4 Pound (Pack of 1)) https://a.co/d/iZXPMXO

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
This is the one I was looking at and if you go down to product information it says special ingredients chicken am I looking at the wrong one? Open Farm Ancient Grains Dry Dog Food, Humanely Raised Meat Recipe with Wholesome Grains and No Artificial Flavors or Preservatives (Homestead Turkey Ancient Grain, 4 Pound (Pack of 1)) https://a.co/d/iZXPMXO
Okay...I am not exactly sure what that is. I just looked at the OF website and I don't see anything about chicken being in the turkey flavor. I have ordered bags from Amazon before with no issue.

OP
D

Dmrock

Sep 1, 2023
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Newman
Okay...I am not exactly sure what that is. I just looked at the OF website and I don't see anything about chicken being in the turkey flavor. I have ordered bags from Amazon before with no issue.

Thanks for the link, the bags look identical. And there's no mention of chicken on the link you sent and it's for all life stages. I so appreciate your help

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the link, the bags look identical. And there's no mention of chicken on the link you sent and it's for all life stages. I so appreciate your help

Good luck with your new puppy!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I was in the food industry n I know as a fact taste of the wild and blue Buffalo is contracted out. A reason why they get a bit more recalls. That being said, definitely up to you. @Cbrugs gave you a good list of dog food. You need to remember somethings, youā€™re getting a puppy thatā€™s just off momā€™s milk. Extremely rare puppy will have allergies. I suggest very often in here, do feed chicken. Donā€™t be scare cause itā€™s a bully. All dogs gets allergies. The trick is ā€œrotationā€ of proteins. The body will get everything n will avoid allergies. It truly works. My 2 bullies, Nyala 8 soon, Jake 7 in January n Sadie German Shepherd eats anything n everything under the sun. Theyā€™re all on a raw diet but before raw, all ate Acana, Orijen n on a rotation basis. To this day none ever had allergies. I even give them veggies. Mind you they go serve themselves in the garden Zucchiniā€™s, beans, raspberries. So yes do give chicken on regular basis. Also do give raw organs like liver as a topper over the kibbles. 1/4cup per day. Organs will keep the gutā€™s flora clean n his immune system will always be solid.

Attachments

• IMG_1207.jpeg
    IMG_1207.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1213.jpeg
    IMG_1213.jpeg
    296.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1215.jpeg
    IMG_1215.jpeg
    869.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1011.jpeg
    IMG_1011.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 14

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I pick up my puppy Sept 12th. And have a few questions. I know the breeder currently has Newman on Royal canin and I was going to go with that until reading on here and other sites. I've decided to go with either taste of the wild high prairie with bison and roasted venison puppy, or blue buffalo wilderness grain free, thoughts? Last question the crate I have on hand is 24" long , 20" inches wide and 21" high is this big enough just to start him out I'm? I really appreciate any input. Thank you

Welcome!

I highly recommend you have her on a healthy food as a pup as itā€™s the best way to prevent health issues.

AVOID these following foods as they are all garbage/fillers:
-Royal Canin
-Purina
-Eukanuba
-Hills
-science diet
-anything from vet or grocery store.

I personally wouldnā€™t feed Blue buffalo, Merrick or Open Farm.

Some bulldogs donā€™t do well with grains, some do, trial and error.

Really premium kibble brands:
-Natures Logic
-Carna 4

Natures logic is legume and potato free too which is great for preventing yeast issues and allergies.

-Farmina N&D if the Natures Logic and Carna 4 isnā€™t a option.

Natures logic and Carna 4 is synthetic free and all whole foods based and has probiotics In it and is really premium food, all whole food based.
These are the ones I highly recommend, Natures Logic is really good though and itā€™s all life stages, so puppies can have it no problem. I personally have always fed a adult or all life stage food not puppy food to any of my dogs. Carna 4 is also all life stages.

I highly recommend rotating proteins to prevent new food allergies.

I highly recommend you feed the most premium food you can afford and are wanting to feed. Raw is best but itā€™s not for everyone.

High protein is not normally a issue, no different than feeding raw when it comes to protein content VS Natures Logic , donā€™t let that scare you away from premium food. There is definitely some myths out there.
I know many people who feed the Natures Logic to their puppies(including bulldog puppies) and no issues.
High carbs thatā€™s in some of the Open Farm isnā€™t great either, but open farm is better than Merrick and blue Buffalo.

Everyone has their own opinions too.
But itā€™s trial and error.

If you can find Natures Logic or Carna 4 for kibble thatā€™s what I highly recommend, if you pay for premium food you pay less in vet bills.

As for the crate, that size should definitely be good!

Good luck with your puppy.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dmrock

Sep 1, 2023
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Newman
Welcome!

I highly recommend you have her on a healthy food as a pup as itā€™s the best way to prevent health issues.

-Royal Canin
-Purina
-Eukanuba
-Hills
-science diet

-Natures Logic
-Carna 4

Natures logic is legume and potato free too which is great for preventing yeast issues and allergies.

Natures logic and Carna 4 is synthetic free and all whole foods based and has probiotics In it and is really premium food, all whole food based.
These are the ones I highly recommend, Natures Logic is really good though and itā€™s all life stages, so puppies can have it no problem. I personally have always fed a adult or all life stage food not puppy food to any of my dogs. Carna 4 is also all life stages.

I highly recommend you feed the most premium food you can afford and are wanting to feed. Raw is best but itā€™s not for everyone.

High protein is not normally a issue, no different than feeding raw when it comes to protein content VS Natures Logic , donā€™t let that scare you away from premium food. There is definitely some myths out there.
I know many people who feed the Natures Logic to their puppies(including bulldog puppies) and no issues.
High carbs thatā€™s in some of the Open Farm isnā€™t great either, but open farm is better than Merrick and blue Buffalo.

If you can find Natures Logic or Carna 4 for kibble thatā€™s what I highly recommend, if you pay for premium food you pay less in vet bills.

So if chicken is listed on Natures logic that shouldn't be a concern?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Welcome!

-Royal Canin
-Purina
-Eukanuba
-Hills
-science diet

-Natures Logic
-Carna 4

How are you going to tell someone donā€™t worry about feeding high protein to a puppy? Thatā€™s great you have ā€œseenā€ no issues but I have personally seen issues and why take a risk of creating a possible issue. Do you even know the solution to fix such an issue and thatā€™s only if you catch it in time? Once they are done growing, then itā€™s fine to feed a higher protein. The only time I say donā€™t feed Natureā€™s Logic is to a puppy. Itā€™s a good food but not for a puppy. Stop telling people that Open Farm is a bad food and they shouldnā€™t feed it just because it doesnā€™t live up to your standards.

I guarantee I have more personal experience on this than you do. You are not a vet nor any kind of bulldog expert.

And I will not be going back and forth with you on this like you so much enjoy to do.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
So if chicken is listed on Natures logic that shouldn't be a concern?
They have a chicken formula but you can definitely avoid the chicken formula and feed the other proteins

Also the Distinction formulas donā€™t even use chicken fat unless itā€™s chicken formulas.

Last edited:

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
How are you going to tell someone donā€™t worry about feeding high protein to a puppy? Thatā€™s great you have ā€œseenā€ no issues but I have personally seen issues and why take a risk of creating a possible issue. Do you even know the solution to fix such an issue and thatā€™s only if you catch it in time? Once they are done growing, then itā€™s fine to feed a higher protein. The only time I say donā€™t feed Natureā€™s Logic is to a puppy. Itā€™s a good food but not for a puppy. Stop telling people that Open Farm is a bad food and they shouldnā€™t feed it just because it doesnā€™t live up to your standards.

I guarantee I have more personal experience on this than you do. You are not a vet nor any kind of bulldog expert.

And I will not be going back and forth with you on this like you so much enjoy to do.

All im going to say to this ridiculous rude post of yours(especially the end as I do NOT like going back and forth-you are on me for everything and seem to pick on me like Benny does at times).

I never said Open Farm is a bad food, i said itā€™s better than the blue Buffalo and Merrick but there is even better foods than Open farm.

How do you guarantee you have more personal experience with this- you donā€™t know me or what I do.

Im not a vet or ā€˜expertā€™ but I definitely am very knowledgeable with tons of experience with many health issues.
Your not a vet or a expert either.

Stop picking on me on everything I do.

Doc Barry or Barry Bob.

May 9, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elsa is 2 1/2. Note: Bruiser left us at almost 14; Boss at almost 13 and Biggie at 10 1/2
I pick up my puppy Sept 12th. And have a few questions. I know the breeder currently has Newman on Royal canin and I was going to go with that until reading on here and other sites. I've decided to go with either taste of the wild high prairie with bison and roasted venison puppy, or blue buffalo wilderness grain free, thoughts? Last question the crate I have on hand is 24" long , 20" inches wide and 21" high is this big enough just to start him out I'm? I really appreciate any input. Thank you
Good Luck - If this is your first English Bulldog - Congrats - you are going to love Newman. Elsa is our 4th English Bulldog, cut our first female. We wouldn't have any other breed. My suggestion is to find the very best Vet first. Secondly, listen to the people on this forum, they are informed and provide a basis for your research. Again, it is up to you to listen and learn but to do your own research and make the very best decision that you can at the time. You can always change. Each one of our four Bullies was so different. It is clear that you have the most important factor in making a great home for Newman, you are taking the time and putting out the effort to make decisions that are in Newman's best interest. Newman is going to love you!!!

Members online

No members online now.