URGENT-long time guest, first post.. looking for new family for my baby... distressed

PudgyMommy

Apr 5, 2013
Waller, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Pudge RIP, and Maggie
Ok, this is gonna be long.. sorry in advance...

We start with Pudge.
About 3 years ago I told my youngest son (then 9) that he could have his own dog (the Weim we got 2 years earlier really bonded with the oldest and turned out to really be HIS).. So Sean (my youngest) made awesome grades that year and really earned the privilege to have his own dog.. He had a few guidelines to stick with, but could otherwise pick what he wanted, including rescue dogs or roadside puppies... it was up to him... So after an entire summer of researching breeds and browsing spca sites, he decided on the English Bulldog... Then I found out how much they cost (at the time, the cost of upkeep was not an issue, but the initial cost blew me away)... No matter.. I sent emails to the closest bulldogs clubs asking for breeder referrals or advice.. no replies.. at all... but, just out of chance I saw a post from a fellow motocrosser (kids race) that he had 2 pups left from his litter... I immediately contacted him.. he ended up letting us take the female (what we wanted) and make regular payments since he knew us... HAPPY DAY!! Pudge joined our family.

The next couple of years went by without a hitch... dog and boy were happy.. I was happy.. We traveled a lot (to visit my hubby who travels a LOT for work) and the dogs always went with us.. it was a great adventure for everyone... Life was wonderful...

Then last summer, I was laid off. Not the end of the world, we could make it until I found something.. just tighten the belts a bit... Then, over the Christmas holidays, my hubby and I had some marital troubles (please don't ask) and I had some health issues... I entered into a bit of a depression and withdrew from all activities.. my kids are pretty self-sufficient so they just took over additional stuff around the house... Pudge became my reason to smile.. she cuddled with me and really saved me from myself.. Even on my worst day, I could not look at her without smilingā€¦Anyway, Hubby and I started to recover and my health improved so the boys and I planned to visit him over spring break... We planned to take the dogs, of course... The day we were to leave, while I was washing the dogs to leave, Pudge started a weird breathing thing.. I thought she was just unhappy about her bath.. she calmed down after about 20 minutes and we were all on our way.. About 4 hours into the trip, she started the breathing thing again.. it was weird.. we thought maybe she was car sick (it was dark by then, and she was normally asleep during night driving).. I was finally able to stop at a rest stop (deep west Texas) and I walked her, gave her water and yummies, and just let her sit with me for about an hour... I tried to look up an ER Vet but there was no cell service... So we set off again... eventually she returned to normal breathing and slept comfortably.. so we finished our trip..(16 hour drive) We were there for a week and she had no issues... ate normal, played normal.. We discussed taking her to a local vet but decided to just take her to our regular vet when we returned home.. So on the way home, she had the same breathing episodes, but only for about 20 minutes each time... way better than on the way there.. the boys and I figured it must be a car thing.. We finally arrived home (ok, really at my sister's house.. it was Easter and she wanted us to stop by for her Easter gathering) and Pudge was looking a little stressedā€¦ I walked her and she had a normal bowel movement and drank some water and had a little treat. But the breathing thing really picked up.. After about 20 minutes I had sean take her to a quiet area in hopes that she would calm and recover.. When I checked on them about 10 minutes later it was obvious that this was an emergencyā€¦ her gums were white and she would not take any ice cubes or water.. I picked her up and ran to the car.. she lost her bowels and bladder before I got her in the car.. her breathing became worse and I started rescue breathingā€¦ my boys (now 12, and 13 years old) jumped in the car and we hauled *** towards the ER Vet (over 45 min away on a good day).. My oldest took over rescue breathing and it wasnā€™t long before my youngest started compressions.. Those 2 boys performed aggressive CPR on Pudge while I drove like a mad woman.. they had no seatbelts and I was crossing ditched and running red lights.. we made it in 30 minutes..I called in advance to let the vet know we were coming and that CPR was in progress.. . Anyway.. it was too lateā€¦when we got there it took 2 minutes just to get someone to run out and take her to the back.. then the ER vet (a colossal ***) just walked out and (with a little disgust) said ā€œthis dog is DEADā€.. my son lost it.. silently sat on the floor and lost it.. I argued and made them ā€œwork: her anyway.. but to no availā€¦ The rest of that day/evening was a terrible experience that went on and on and on and ended with a late night back yard burial and sitting together on the sofa with a blanket that still smelled like Pudgeā€¦ I sob just remembering that nightā€¦. I never imagined I would mourn the loss of a pet so much.. I descended into a depression with no boundsā€¦ as did my son.. After about a week, I decided my son needed a dog to help him recover (my usually extremely independent child now refused to sleep in his room and was just forlorn).. we eventually ended up with an spca pup (Cato) and the bond and healing has been a beautiful thing for Seanā€¦ but I was still empty.. I was falling into a depression like no other.. I was withdrawing from the world..

now Maggieā€™s storyā€¦

So I began applying to various rescue groups and searching ads for people wanting to re-home their English Bulldogā€¦ after a lot of scams and a few false starts, I got Maggie on the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] of July.. She was almost 2 years old, had coloring similar to Pudge and was supremely loving and sweet.. She was perfect!ā€¦ I smiled (for the first time since losing Pudge) all the way home.. I just couldnā€™t stop grinning!.. I got her from a young lady who said her first owners kept her as an outside dog and she managed to convince them to give her up.. so now this young girl had Maggie in an apartment but didnā€™t have the time to dedicate to herā€¦Anyway, she kept in contact with me for a few days and promised to fax me Maggieā€™s medical records and paperwork as soon as she could get them from the original family (she had only had Maggie for about 3 months).. Then one day she told me she had court that day and would fax me the stuff later in the afternoonā€¦ then nothingā€¦ I have not been able to make contact with her since thenā€¦. At home, Maggie adjusted beautifully.. she and Christal (the Weim) and Cato all got along great.. she never had a housetraining issue and she was velcro to me.. She was MY BABY.. We were instantly bondedā€¦ She did have evidence of worms, so I de-wormed all the dogs as a precaution.. and gave her one of Pudgeā€™s leftover Comfortis pills to rid her of any fleas (although I never saw any evidence of any).. I got her transitioned over to Fromm and she has done beautifullyā€¦ Her only issue was a bout with hot spots, which I remedied with past experience with Pudge and some sound advice I read on this siteā€¦ she has been doing great.. It was like we always had her and could not imagine our household without her. I usually take her everywhere with meā€¦ to pick up kids.. to the park,.. even to work (part time) everywhereā€¦ she sleeps with me and is never more than a few feet away from me at all timesā€¦ She has never been in a crate before our house.. I was working on crate training and she was doing well.. but one day we were gone much longer than expected and came home to find that she had chewed her way out of it.. crazyā€¦ I have not put her in a crate since.. She is allowed to stay loose with Christal (after some doggie proofing) and has done beautifullyā€¦. Honestly, she has saved me from myself. She is my life. I donā€™t know what state I would be in without her influence.. She pulled me from the depths of depression and helped me return to the real worldā€¦.I have always prided myself as being a strong person, but it took a snorty wrinkly little dog, with a snaggle tooth and protruding tongue, to rescue me from an emotional state I never thought I could ever succumb to.. I am ashamed, while at the same time, forever grateful.

The dilemmaā€¦

Financially, things here are much worse than we expected them to be at this point.. I have not been able to get Maggie to the vet to get her shots and spayed.. I figured she was healthy and I had timeā€¦ but that has all changedā€¦ Yesterday I woke up to Maggie having what I thought might be a focal motor seizure.. her head was just shaking and she could not control it.. she was aware and able to walk about and follow commands.. it lasted about 12 minutes.. then she seemed to be fineā€¦ last night she had three more episodesā€¦ this morning I did some research and have concluded that it must either be sudden onset focal motor seizures or sudden onset head tremorsā€¦ it is not the seizure or the tremor that scares meā€¦ it is the ā€œsudden onsetā€ā€¦ Today she has had at least 4 more episodes.. they last from 5 to 15 minutes each.. So any rational personā€™s advice would be to take her to the vet, right?... Right!ā€¦ but I canā€™tā€¦ Our situation right now just will not allow it.. I canā€™t event put enough gas in my car to make it to the vet (25 miles away)ā€¦ I would sell my own kidney if I could, but I canā€™tā€¦ I feel so helpless and useless to help herā€¦ she is not in any pain, but I know the ā€œsudden onsetā€ and very frequent episodes mean that something serious must be going on with herā€¦

I canā€™t imagine losing her, or giving her upā€¦ but I must do what is best for her.. I need to give her to someone who can afford to get her to the vet AND take care of whatever is going on (if treatable) and then love her as much as I doā€¦

That is the reason for this post. My husband and kids tell me to just wait and see, or to take her to the vet.. but they donā€™t understand that this could (and probably will be costly) and I just donā€™t have it.. I donā€™t even have the ability to get her in for a regular visit, much less lab work and other testsā€¦ and I am afraid Maggie might not have the time for me to get itā€¦ My family is afraid I will just fall apart if I give her up, but I have told them I would rather give her up knowing she will be loved and cared for, than for her to suffer or perishā€¦ They said I will never find someone to lover her as much as meā€¦.. So that is why I am on this website.. I have been following yā€™all since before we got Pudge and recognize a lot of the ā€œregularsā€ so I would feel safe handing over my sweet Mags to someone from here.. I am so heartbroken over thisā€¦ but I have to think of Maggie, and not myselfā€¦ My husband will be mad.. but he can just get over itā€¦ I want Maggie to be happy and healthyā€¦ And I canā€™t assure the healthy part by myself..

This is, by far, the hardest thing I have ever had to face in my entire lifeā€¦

If there are any of you out there who are within driving distance to the area northwest of Houston Texas, AND can get my sweet baby to a vet asap AND can afford to take care of whatever is wrong with her AND will lover her like their own child.. then she could be yoursā€¦ I will check references if I donā€™t recognize your user name.. Also, I promised my husband and kids that I would not make any ā€œrashā€ decisionsā€¦ but to me, that only means waiting a day or two.. I donā€™t want to risk Maggieā€™s health because we are emotionally whimpy..

I know that was longā€¦ it has taken me 3 hours to type it out (sobbing like a baby the whole time)ā€¦ thanks for reading.
Maggie sleeping in my lap.jpgMaggie vs the Crate.jpg

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
I wish I could help. If you don't find someone here that can, please contact the the English Bulldog Rescue Network of Houston (EBRN). I'm sure someone on here has the best contact information for them as I can only find an email address on their website. A rescue such as them will take great care of your baby and make sure she gets the love and care that she needs. Rescues do such wonderful things for bullies in need and they could get her vet care and eventually find her a good forever home.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:sorry:I live in Canada, so am not able to help you, or know of anyone in the States, but I just wanted to say to you I am so sorry you are having to go through this, and it must be very hard to make this decision. I can't imagine having to make that choice, but like you if I was in that situation I would do everything in my power to do what was best for my baby. You love her enough to let her go, so she can get the help she needs, and a loving home as well. There are a lot of Rescue and Adoption groups on this site, you can find them in the forums, and contact one in your area to see if they can help foster, and care for Maggie. Sending hugs, love and prayers that you find her a great home, and someone that can help her get the vet treatment she needs. Please keep us posted.

OP
PudgyMommy

PudgyMommy

Apr 5, 2013
Waller, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Pudge RIP, and Maggie
Thanks. I know of EBRN.. I have been following their site for a couple of years... They do great things and I have donated to their cause at pet expos n' things... I even applied to be considered for a rescue with them (among many other groups) when I was on the hunt for a baby... I never heard anything back from them; but I know they have long waiting lists and just a small group of volunteers trying to do so much.... But, a rescue group is kind of a last resort cuz I hate for Maggie to have a fourth (foster) home and then a fifth (forever) home... But I will defintiely contact them in the morning.. if for nothing else but advise and initial contact if I have to go that route.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I have tagged a few of the people that might be able to get someone that can help I am too far away I think and in some financial circumstances myself or I would happily drive there to get her.

OP
PudgyMommy

PudgyMommy

Apr 5, 2013
Waller, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Pudge RIP, and Maggie
Thank you. I am going to bed for now... kinda nervous to see how she does again overnight.. but I know she needs sleep and she won't go to bed without me...she is just sitting next to me.. waiting... I know the tremors/seizures don't hurt her.. I just worry about the cause... I'll post how she does overnight in the morning... Thanks again for the replies so far.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
It makes me so sad reading this:*( I know you're in the right place for help and I'm sure in one way or another it will work out for Maggie, she's beautiful<3 You're a great mamma for putting Maggie first, thinking of you guys.

I'm editing this post cos I got to think about all the stories I've heard of heart worm pills causing seizures... I didn't read anywhere if she's taking any medication but if she is, maybe that is the cause? I really hope it's something that can be easily sorted out.

Last edited:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
May I tell you how much your story touched my heart and how very much
I admire your courage to tell this to us, your strength & grit going thru all
this and weep for how much you love your Maggie to give her up even tho
she is your happiness.

I too, wonder if she's reacting to something, flea or tick treatment, booster
shots recently, insecticide treated yard...any of those? Carpet shampooed,
house treated for bugs, home interior painted?

Please don't be so quick yet to give her up unless you already know, financially
it just isn't going to work out. Can any close friend or family member keep her
a short while as you get on your feet?

This past year my entire world collapsed and I was devastated beyond words in
describe the carnage, I lost my young husband, moved twice within 8 months, lost
his life insurance~I'm on limited disability for life, my Mother had a complete break
w/reality and will never regain her mind~now living w/me, my son is so wounded,
raging out of control~dropped out of college, quit his job, his fiance, his apt~moved
in w/me too and sat in his darkened room for 10 months~I paid all his bills & fed him
even as I struggled to pay mine & Mother's bills, Dr's visits & meds. The home I own
and had to move back to had been flood damaged & needs major repairs and 5 months
after I lost my husband my bully died during teeth cleaning. I only tell you this to assure
you...I REALLY DO understand how devastating, destructive, damaging & depressing
your life has become...it wounds me to even know how shattered you are...but still doing
and thinking of others.

GOD sees all of this, HE has not abandoned you. I will pray for you & yours, sending love!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
When Maggie starts having an episode have you offered her some food or a treat? I have no experience with head tremors, but I think that's one thing that does help when they happen. I do know they are something that is a sudden onset though and very frightening from what everyone who has related stories about them has said. But thinking that's what might help. Tagged Karen because she has experience with these.

I also tagged members who live closer who might be able to suggest other options.

:pray:

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Heartbreaking. :hmm: Have you considered care credit? (google it.) This way you can act now instead of later, when it may be too late.

Good luck - we're here. Please keep us posted...

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I am in your area and wold love to help but sadly my family and I are not emotionally ready at this time as we just had a fur baby cross the Rainbow Bridge last week. However, I will put the word out among my circle of friends to see if any can help out at all but I cannot guarantee that I can find someone.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:smileywelcome: to EBN....so sorry to hear about your predicament but I am sure there is a solution coming from somewhere. Care Credit may help with the immediate help needed. Our thoughts will be with you and your baby bully.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
have you tried humane society ?v http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html croll down to Texas there i a lit of organizations that provide help with different need (im sorry im not from us - but look like there i help available to those who might struggle financially -we all been there at some point in our lives ,and from what you said he your best friend it must be heartbreaking for you and your family to make this decision , but humane society might be able to help you (or at least some organization listed in the article)

Last edited:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I appreciate your honesty, you truly seem heartbroken... many of the rescues here will offer financial assistance is these cases. It's harder for them to find homes, than it is to help out w/vet bills. I would contact them & see if they would be willing to help you out. Please keep us posted!!!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online