Temperature

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
How cold is too cold for an Engliah bulldog?
I have a 45 pound female who I sometimes put on out porch. The porch is all glass and doea not get alot of heat. She has a small doggy door to go outside if need be. Sometimes we leave her there all day and night but its starting to get cold where I am.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I have a 45 pound female who I sometimes put on out porch. The porch is all glass and doea not get alot of heat. She has a small doggy door to go outside if need be. Sometimes we leave her there all day and night but its starting to get cold where I am.

Here in Alberta our cold harsh weathers will go up to -40ā€™s n sometimes rarely -50. Even I try not to go out. My 2 Iā€™ll put their jackets on at -15 if itā€™s for walks. When they had to only go for #1+2 in the backyard, no jackets. But at -35 n up I sometimes had to go get Nyala carry her in the house as she had issues walking back. All dogs born n raised in winter will tolerate more our winters. Like Jake was born n raised outside n heā€™s tolerating winters better. But I never let them out more than 3mins on their own. Why itā€™s important to train your dog in the cold. I play with them n it keeps their blood flow going. Sometimes Iā€™m outside 10-20mins playing In -20. So I say all depends on the dog. I think yours is kinda new to snow right? Would be the right time to train it outside for next winter. Just a thought

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It can depend on the individual dog... our frenchie gets cold quick, but our bulldog can go a little longer. I'd not do all day/night when temps are below 40... just my opinion.

Members online

No members online now.