shot for rabies

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Hi ole friends :) I just got notice that my city requires rabies shots and licencing. It has probably been that all along but........ this time i got a notice. I dont want to give my boy a rabies shot (he has had one mabie two? in the past) but he's 7 now and i dont want!!! soooooooooo, do i just go on our merry way and wait till they come get me? or?????????? Thanks, and hope all is well with EVERYONE :)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
All of mine have gotten the rabies shot will no issues and will continue to get it every 3 years. I will say that licensing in my city is "required" but my 2 girls are not registered and the registration for my 2 boys just expired a month ago. I am not overly concerned about it so totally up to you on what route you want to go.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I truly appreciate your responses :) I'm so touchy about *vaccines* in general and do see that i have kept up with these rabies just not the others ... I will ask about the titers (sp) as i still "think" i dont want to do those? Geesh, i've had dogs and been their caregiver since i was a young child. I sound like a new parent lol Anyway, thanks again.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I truly appreciate your responses :) I'm so touchy about *vaccines* in general and do see that i have kept up with these rabies just not the others ... I will ask about the titers (sp) as i still "think" i dont want to do those? Geesh, i've had dogs and been their caregiver since i was a young child. I sound like a new parent lol Anyway, thanks again.
With Louie I had gone back and forth on doing vaccines versus titer testing and I ultimately chose to go with vaccines and all my dogs are vaccinated and I have never had an issue with any vaccine and a reaction to it. Everyone should most definitely decide for themselves.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi ole friends :) I just got notice that my city requires rabies shots and licencing. It has probably been that all along but........ this time i got a notice. I dont want to give my boy a rabies shot (he has had one mabie two? in the past) but he's 7 now and i dont want!!! soooooooooo, do i just go on our merry way and wait till they come get me? or?????????? Thanks, and hope all is well with EVERYONE :)
Most knows Iā€™m NO shot pro. My dogs never got vaccinated for anything. Only shots they got is when they were pups on purchase. Iā€™m NOT saying to anyone to do the same as itā€™s to the owners discretion.

I personally would do a titer test first. You never know, ā€œmightā€ not need any shots. Just a thought.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet

I totally recommend AVOIDING the rabies shot, my dog had the shot and literally got a HUGE lump right where the shot was given, he needed a skin biopsy and a dermatologist cause not even a week later he was full of hives and became allergic to everything! That was when he was 5 months, and the vets said he had a reaction to the rabies shot and I was told and also read itā€™s very common! Even older dogs can have this issue pop up after getting the shot(I have heard it a few times).

And when he got the puppy shots, one of them was kennel cough he was SO sick, required a daily vet visit DAILY for 2 weeks, and they gave him Benadryl and said he had a bad reaction to these other shots, the Benadryl made him 10X worse as well! it was horrible seeing how that negatively caused a ton of health issues, and allergies and dermatologist that we will have to do 3.5 years later cause it did the damage from 1 shot! Any extra shots after the puppy shots, is useless and usually does more harm with little to no benefit. Auto immune issues, cancer, liver and kidney isssues, chronic inflammation, allergies, seizures and death can be from those shots.
Once they have had the puppy shots, it stays with them for life, any extra is useless and can cause more harm.

Also sometimes it can cause the disease it was supposed to prevent, and some studies show that dogs that are vaccinated are way more likely to get the virus than ones who only had puppy shots. More is not better.
Vaccinating them does NOT guarantee the dog wonā€™t get the viruses.

I will NEVER do any of these shots again!

I will attach photos of what my dog looked like at the injection site, fur loss and everything and was a lump.

I did a titer test and it proved he doesnā€™t need any shots.

The top photo right behind where the collar is, thatā€™s where they gave the shot and they told me he needed skin biopsy to rule out a bad growth but it was a severe reaction to rabies shot.

And all the hives/bumps on his leg, which he was covered in from the vaccines!
1682395568781.jpeg

1682395584326.jpeg

1682395599770.jpeg

1682395623155.jpeg

1682395641669.jpeg

1682395657757.jpeg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I live in Pennsylvania and rabies is required by law unless you have a medical exception due to previous vax reactions... so it is now the only one I give my guys since they are older and with Lambeau having cancer both our vet and oncologist stated no shots while on chemo. They also are never around other dogs expect at the vet office so I'm not concerned about exposures. You have to think about your lifestyle (hiking, walking trails etc), how much interactions he will have (daycare, kennel stay, groomers, etc) - it is all a personal decision as well as taking in where you live and how you live.

When we first moved into our current home... we did not give a couple shots that are available, but when we told out vet of our new surroundings, he highly suggested we give a couple he never recommended before due to the small creek and woods behind out home which we agreed. Most of the woodland animals that used to be here 10 years ago are now gone due to all the additional buildings/expanding so we stopped those type of shots.

Alos, check out Dr. Karen Becker's website.... se has tons of articles about the topic

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
oh boy.. I guess now what im wondering is.............. what happens if you are out and about in our "by law must have shot and tags" area, and dont have either, what will they do? and, Since i got this notice in the mail, they know where i live and i cant report him no longer with me. Hum. I just hate, ok, i dislike the government telling me what to do :(

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
"Old Yeller!"

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
What titer basically does is if your dog had any previous shots n still has a certain amount of them shots in him, you donā€™t need to top them again. I would rather pay for a titer n know whatā€™s exactly in my dog especially if itā€™s a rescue dog. After all shots are chemicals. At the end of the day itā€™s up to you. If youā€™re going with the shots, you most certainly have the right to split them up. Give a few months to see for reactions n go later for the next one n repeatā€¦.Absolutely no rush.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
What titer basically does is if your dog had any previous shots n still has a certain amount of them shots in him, you donā€™t need to top them again. I would rather pay for a titer n know whatā€™s exactly in my dog especially if itā€™s a rescue dog. After all shots are chemicals. At the end of the day itā€™s up to you. If youā€™re going with the shots, you most certainly have the right to split them up. Give a few months to see for reactions n go later for the next one n repeatā€¦.Absolutely no rush.
Thanks ma dear :) And not going for *other* shots and if i HAD to, i would defiantly split up!

Linzerella

Apr 29, 2023
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jemma & Jules
Merial - IMRAB 3 TF - This is the only rabies vaccine that I give my dogs. It is the safest one. It is thimerosal free. That is the ingredient that can cause the most issues. Ask your vet to order it if they don't already use it. My vet had no problem ordering it for me and she decided to just start using it for all of her patients. She just didn't realize that was an option before I brought it up.

I would definitely make sure they get it every 3 years. Only because it is the law and you don't want to have your dogs taken away to a shelter and given whatever vaccine they decide to use before you can get them back. Also, if your dog is ever bitten by an animal that is suspected to have rabies, they can euthanize your dog without your consent if it is not UTD on the rabies vaccine. Very scary.

It's very unfortunate that they don't allow a titers test for the rabies vaccine because research shows that most dogs are protected for at least 7 years and some for life just from the 1st vaccine that they get. No one seems to care about the new research tho. šŸ˜•

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
@Linzerella Titers test do test for rabies. I personally know people that had the titer test done on their dogs for rabies n other shots cause they were crossing the border from Canada to USA and was accepted.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.