Recommendations for while I’m out of town

Annie’s mom

Aug 16, 2023
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Annie
Hello,
I am a nervous wreck about leaving for vacation for 10 days. I was hoping to bring Annie with us but ,unfortunately, it is not possible. I am not sure what the best plan would be for while I am out of town: friend watch her and stay at my home? Board her? Or hire someone who is familiar with English bulldogs to stay with her? I feel so anxious and i almost want to cancel my trip. If she could fly on theplane with us would anyone recommend that? Or would that traumatize her? Or if I cancel the flight and drive she could come but it would be a 24 hour drive? Any suggestions? This is my first English bulldog I have owned and she is my best friend and means the world to me! Also, she has been very itchy lately and red, and has tear marks. Any suggestions about allergies or what to do to help her?
Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_3100.jpeg
    IMG_3100.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8990.jpeg
    IMG_8990.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0157.jpeg
    IMG_0157.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
  • 0960E826-E9ED-482F-99E7-1431AEE776BB.jpeg
    0960E826-E9ED-482F-99E7-1431AEE776BB.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 41

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hello,
I am a nervous wreck about leaving for vacation for 10 days. I was hoping to bring Annie with us but ,unfortunately, it is not possible. I am not sure what the best plan would be for while I am out of town: friend watch her and stay at my home? Board her? Or hire someone who is familiar with English bulldogs to stay with her? I feel so anxious and i almost want to cancel my trip. If she could fly on theplane with us would anyone recommend that? Or would that traumatize her? Or if I cancel the flight and drive she could come but it would be a 24 hour drive? Any suggestions? This is my first English bulldog I have owned and she is my best friend and means the world to me! Also, she has been very itchy lately and red, and has tear marks. Any suggestions about allergies or what to do to help her?
Thank you!

Welcome!
She is cute!

I definitely don’t recommend having her on the plane due to their short noses and breathing issues. I totally understand it’s hard to leave them.

Depending on where your going to- a 24 hr drive may be ok and depending on how she is with car rides. Make sure where your going isn’t too hot for her either(if you decide to drive with her).
I would recommend having someone like a family member or friend who is good with her who she is comfortable with stay at your house in her own environment so she is most comfortable and less stressed.

As for her allergies, I do have recommendations for you.

What do you feed her??? Brand and protein.

Definitely AVOID these brands of kibble as they are all fillers/garbage:
-Purina
-Royal Canin
-Hills
-Science diet
-Eukanuba
-anything from Vet or Grocery store
-Blue buffalo

Good high quality kibble brands:
-Natures Logic
-Carna 4

Both Natures Logic and Carna 4 have probiotics in it and are synthetic free and whole food based which is great for allergies. Natures Logic is easier to find than Carna 4.

Natures Logic makes a Sardine formula which is great for allergies.good omega 3 source.
Many proteins to rotate thru in Natures Logic.

If you prefer kibble, try the Natures Logic is my recommendation. Lots have had good success with it. I recommend Still rotate proteins in it.

Raw diet is best if you can and are open to it. Where are you located? I can recommend some brands that may be available to you.
Great for the immune system and inflammation and allergies. And preventative of new health issues. And it can treat some health issues.

I recommend avoiding chicken for her since chicken is the most common allergy.

I also recommend Rotating proteins to prevent new food allergies- they can become allergic to what they eat everyday. And when you rotate proteins you also give them the most nutrients cause every protein has its own benefits and also you prevent picky eater- do you want to eat the same thing daily?🙂

For environmental allergies- my dog had severe allergies to the point of seeing a dermatologist since he was 4-5 months, I put him on Four Leaf Rover brand Bovine Colostrum- OMG it was a game changer! You give it 30 minutes BEFORE you give her breakfast(put the powder in dish by itself and she licks it up) cause it’s better absorbed on empty stomach, then after she licks it up you can feed her 30 minutes later.
It was amazing for both dogs with allergies of mine- less itchy less red skin and very minimal hives(he used to be covered in hives and fur loss). Good immune boost too.

Probiotics are helpful for allergies too, I give Four Leaf Rover Protect or Gut Guard in rotation and I also give Four Leaf Rover Safe Sea omega oil in rotation too cause omega 3 is great for inflammation and allergies too.

For my other dog with no health issues other than kidney disease, I give her Adored Beast probiotics in rotation with Four Leaf Rover for preventative and good immune system.
I find the Four Leaf Rover probiotics is what works best for my severe allergy dog.

for Tear Stains- my dog was getting them bad and I put him on Four Leaf Rover brand Red Rover and since being on it for 3 years, he hasn’t had any tear stains since being on the Red Rover(3 years ago and haven’t come back and I continue to give Red Rover for maintenance).
I highly recommend that Four Leaf Rover brand Red Rover.
And a healthy food which I recommend above(Natures Logic or Carna 4 kibble OR raw diet).

Sometimes just a switch to raw diet or premium kibble like Natures Logic or Carna 4 can make a huge difference and sometimes the supplements aren’t needed.

So a healthy kibble like Natures Logic or Carna 4 switch to and try Four Leaf Rover Bovine Colostrum and Red Rover for allergies and tear stains is my recommendation for you dog!

Please keep me updated 😊

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
What kind of food are you feeding Annie? @Annie’s mom It would also help to see a photo, as nothing shows in the pictures you posted(except her cuteness). I also think that she would be better to stay home with someone she knows, and that you trust. With today's phones, you could see and talk to her and sitter every day and check on things.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
While there really are no issues as to why a bulldog cannot fly in the cabin with you (I know plenty of bulldogs that have flown), unless they can fit in a carrier under the seat, they must be an actual service dog and not an emotional support dog. So flying is not really an option unless she is a certified service dog.

I would either have someone I trust come to your home or send her to someone's house that you trust to watch her. Out here where I live, we actually have a bulldog specific boarding/daycare place that watches only bulldogs/Frenchies/bulldog mixes in her home.

As far as driving goes, not the end of the world but I guess it depends on where you are going and what you plan on doing out there as to whether or not I would bring her with.

Allergies could be environmental or food related.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I hear you! We have a pet sitter we hired a few years ago that comes and stays or does several visits a day for us. it works great because the pups are home and comfortable and we trust the person coming and going in our home

OP
Annie’s mom

Annie’s mom

Aug 16, 2023
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Annie
Thank you for everyone’s advice and recommendations. I have two days left of my vacation and I decided to leave Annie with a pet sitter at my house. It has been going really well. I see her every day and talk to her. And the pet sitter knows a lot about Bulldogs. I was a nervous wreck about leaving her. I have had dogs my entire life, but this is my first English bulldog and I have never felt like this before about leaving to go on vacation. I’m just extremely attached to Annie. I will post my pictures of her skin related allergies and I am looking into that food recommendation. I live in Buffalo New York. Thank you again I’m really happy. I joined this site. So many people who have so much knowledge about English Bulldogs.
😊

OP
Annie’s mom

Annie’s mom

Aug 16, 2023
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Annie
Welcome!
She is cute!

I definitely don’t recommend having her on the plane due to their short noses and breathing issues. I totally understand it’s hard to leave them.

Depending on where your going to- a 24 hr drive may be ok and depending on how she is with car rides. Make sure where your going isn’t too hot for her either(if you decide to drive with her).
I would recommend having someone like a family member or friend who is good with her who she is comfortable with stay at your house in her own environment so she is most comfortable and less stressed.

As for her allergies, I do have recommendations for you.

What do you feed her??? Brand and protein.

Definitely AVOID these brands of kibble as they are all fillers/garbage:
-Purina
-Royal Canin
-Hills
-Science diet
-Eukanuba
-anything from Vet or Grocery store
-Blue buffalo

Good high quality kibble brands:
-Natures Logic
-Carna 4

Both Natures Logic and Carna 4 have probiotics in it and are synthetic free and whole food based which is great for allergies. Natures Logic is easier to find than Carna 4.

Natures Logic makes a Sardine formula which is great for allergies.good omega 3 source.
Many proteins to rotate thru in Natures Logic.

If you prefer kibble, try the Natures Logic is my recommendation. Lots have had good success with it. I recommend Still rotate proteins in it.

Raw diet is best if you can and are open to it. Where are you located? I can recommend some brands that may be available to you.
Great for the immune system and inflammation and allergies. And preventative of new health issues. And it can treat some health issues.

I recommend avoiding chicken for her since chicken is the most common allergy.

I also recommend Rotating proteins to prevent new food allergies- they can become allergic to what they eat everyday. And when you rotate proteins you also give them the most nutrients cause every protein has its own benefits and also you prevent picky eater- do you want to eat the same thing daily?🙂

For environmental allergies- my dog had severe allergies to the point of seeing a dermatologist since he was 4-5 months, I put him on Four Leaf Rover brand Bovine Colostrum- OMG it was a game changer! You give it 30 minutes BEFORE you give her breakfast(put the powder in dish by itself and she licks it up) cause it’s better absorbed on empty stomach, then after she licks it up you can feed her 30 minutes later.
It was amazing for both dogs with allergies of mine- less itchy less red skin and very minimal hives(he used to be covered in hives and fur loss). Good immune boost too.

Probiotics are helpful for allergies too, I give Four Leaf Rover Protect or Gut Guard in rotation and I also give Four Leaf Rover Safe Sea omega oil in rotation too cause omega 3 is great for inflammation and allergies too.

For my other dog with no health issues other than kidney disease, I give her Adored Beast probiotics in rotation with Four Leaf Rover for preventative and good immune system.
I find the Four Leaf Rover probiotics is what works best for my severe allergy dog.

for Tear Stains- my dog was getting them bad and I put him on Four Leaf Rover brand Red Rover and since being on it for 3 years, he hasn’t had any tear stains since being on the Red Rover(3 years ago and haven’t come back and I continue to give Red Rover for maintenance).
I highly recommend that Four Leaf Rover brand Red Rover.
And a healthy food which I recommend above(Natures Logic or Carna 4 kibble OR raw diet).

Sometimes just a switch to raw diet or premium kibble like Natures Logic or Carna 4 can make a huge difference and sometimes the supplements aren’t needed.

So a healthy kibble like Natures Logic or Carna 4 switch to and try Four Leaf Rover Bovine Colostrum and Red Rover for allergies and tear stains is my recommendation for you dog!

Please keep me updated 😊
Hello, sorry for the late response! I just want to say thank you for the most helpful recommendations! Thanks to you Annie has shown huge improvements! I really appreciate it! 😊

Feb 9, 2020
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
Hello,
Thank you!
I don’t think your EB needs to go through all the stress of going on a plane. Hire a family member or a well trusted friend that can check up on your EB, Multiple times a day. I said multiple times because EBs need a Lot of attention lol. You can just pay extra to the dog sitter! I absoultely understand what you’re going through. My bulldog is also my world. Please don’t board her is my suggestion. I just have more anxiety when boarding my bulldog coz he is literally my bestfriend and I don’t think people at boating really “care” about the dogs. My best bet is for your EB to stay at home and have people to watch her and let her out and play with her for around 30 minutes. I’d be more at ease knowing that my bulldog is just at my house than a boarding facility.

I have multiple cameras to watch my bulldog in every corner whenever I’m away! lol! I have 1 furbo and 3 other cameras.

KillRbee18

Sep 6, 2023
Port Orchard WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny / Gun-guns
Hello,
Thank you!
I'm with you on this topic Annie's mom. I too am leaving for vacation come this December to England, and I am chewing my fingernails on what I am going to do with Gunny. I too am a new owner to this kind of breed. Unfortunately, all of my family will be joining the wife and I, so I cannot ask any of them to watch Gunny. As of right now, Gunny will flip his lid around other four-legged animals, so I can't have the neighbor watch him either. I am contemplating on boarding him at a place where he will have a camera in his private suite, so I can watch him. He will also have his own private runner where there will be no dogs visible, but I am scared he will be stressed to the max to where he will not eat his food or drink his water. I too will be gone for approximately 10 days. I usually take Gunny with us on short trips but this one I can't (sad eyes). As for her itchy skin, Gunny had itchy dry skin and I was told by his vet to give him Benadryl. It seemed to work! The reason why he had the issue was because he was allergic to chicken products. How can I leave my baby behind?

Attachments

• Happy Face.jpg
    Happy Face.jpg
    781.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.