Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Hi all.

Hope you are well.

My partner is in the RAF and we might be moving to Cyprus in August. I was just wondering how Olde English Bulldogges get on in the heat. We currently live in the UK and as you are aware it doenst get very hot here lol.

Also how are they with flying with their snubb nose as I've read it can get quite difficult for them to breath.

Thanks
Amy

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Most airlines will refuse any flat nose dogs. I think the only one that still fly flat nose is KLM. You would need to give airlines a call. Living in Cyprus n like anywhere hot area most have A/C as you probably know.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Do not fly them in baggage...passenger compartment only. OEB usually tolerates heat better than EB but every dog is different. We have had many EBs that do and don't tolerate heat well. Temps there should be similar to what we experience in southern North Carolina...maybe slightly higher. Watch out during the summer months and keep walking/activity periods short and keep the pup well hydrated. Activity during the hottest part of the day is not advised.

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Looks like only TUI will fly snub nose. They require the crate to be 10% bigger than other breeds. Their cargo hold is temperature controlled this is the only way I could fly him.

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Do not fly them in baggage...passenger compartment only. OEB usually tolerates heat better than EB but every dog is different. We have had many EBs that do and don't tolerate heat well. Temps there should be similar to what we experience in southern North Carolina...maybe slightly higher. Watch out during the summer months and keep walking/activity periods short and keep the pup well hydrated. Activity during the hottest part of the day is not advised.
Would a temperature controlled cargo hold be ok?

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
It would be better than a cargo hold that isn't regulated but for me, I would not let my dog out of my sight.
It's difficult as we don't have much of a choice. Bruce would not get on well as a passenger. He doesn't sit still and can get uncontrollable in busy, loud places.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
It's difficult as we don't have much of a choice. Bruce would not get on well as a passenger. He doesn't sit still and can get uncontrollable in busy, loud places.
That does not sound like a good situation at all for him to be in a crate in a noisy hold. (If they transport animals I believe they have to be in a separate hold, climate controlled) That would also be the hottest time of the year and any reputable airline has blackout times for climate. They also don't allow any sedated animal, too dangerous, regardless of breed. We flew Chumly back to the US from the UK and I would not even consider flying with any bulldog again. Admittedly that was a long flight but I saw him after the first leg, UK to AMS (50 mins) and he was already really stressed out. The worst flight of my life, so worried about him. It may be inconvenient and lengthy but can you drive to some point in Europe and then catch a ferry to Cyprus? That would be my only choice, personally speaking.
Edited to add. I agree with others about the heat. Chumly was a mix and we moved to Texas where the heat is ungodly! We took him for a walk very early morning but even then it was about 27c + - but at least the pavement didn't burn his feet (another very real consideration in hot climates). As long as you have reliable A/C you shouldn't have a problem.

Last edited:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Have you tried calling cruise ships? Some ships accepts dogs n you can cruise together 👍

Your problem with driving is almost impossible as UK n Cyprus are islands. I have family in UK that often goes to Cyprus n they said was like 4ish hrs to fly. Driving n ferries as mentioned would be another option but I presume that would be like 5 days. I drive from here Alberta to Montreal Quebec with my dogs n that takes with stops n driving from 6am to 8pm ish 3 full days.

Mmsaxman

Jun 30, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
The Queen Mary ship allows dogs to sail, it sails to from NY (I think) to England. From England you can ground transport yourselves, albeit, a long journey. I do not trust any airline with my girl. I have thought many times of moving to Europe and that's the only way I would take my pups.

I love Emily

Jun 22, 2016
Alberta, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Emily
Hi all.

Hope you are well.

My partner is in the RAF and we might be moving to Cyprus in August. I was just wondering how Olde English Bulldogges get on in the heat. We currently live in the UK and as you are aware it doenst get very hot here lol.

Also how are they with flying with their snubb nose as I've read it can get quite difficult for them to breath.

Thanks
Amy
OMG! How exciting for you, totally envious. May I suggest that you look into achieving a Therapy dog or, Emotional support system to ensure that your baby can fly with you on the aircraft? Also maybe reach out to people on Trip advisor to find out if someone has a condition of sorts where they can have a dog with them and they may take on flight? There are ways around things if you know what I mean and if not perhaps research it out. I wish you all the very best. Also ask the powers at your Hubbys job to see if they can come up with solutions. Yes the heat will be fierce at times, but there are pools, ocean, air con. etc.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
OMG! How exciting for you, totally envious. May I suggest that you look into achieving a Therapy dog or, Emotional support system to ensure that your baby can fly with you on the aircraft? Also maybe reach out to people on Trip advisor to find out if someone has a condition of sorts where they can have a dog with them and they may take on flight? There are ways around things if you know what I mean and if not perhaps research it out. I wish you all the very best. Also ask the powers at your Hubbys job to see if they can come up with solutions. Yes the heat will be fierce at times, but there are pools, ocean, air con. etc.
Unfortunately, because of idiots with their "support peacocks" and what have you, airlines have really cracked down on support animals. It is worth looking into of course and checking with the appropriate airline but I wouldn't hold out much hope. Certified Service Dogs are a completely different story but that takes a lot of training etc.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The gang is giving great info…. I have no experience, but wish you well in the transition and pray for safe travels for you all.

Members online

No members online now.