His hair is everywhere!!!

Hoagiesmom

Mar 18, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hoagie
My 3 year old sheds ridiculously. Is this common for the breed. I realize most dogs shed, and as the warmer weather approaches, it will increase. Hoagie sheds hair in mass abundance. The shed hairs are actually visible on him. You can see a layer on top of his coat waiting to fall off. If I pet him, head to tail, there's a small pile where my hand rests. I brush him daily (sometimes multiple times a day) with the furminator. One light run across his coat and it is full. I also use a slickeez brush and it never let's up, it keeps coming off no matter how long I brush him. I've used deshedding shampoos, sensitive skin baby wipes. I feed him earthborn hollistic unrefined smoked salmon. He's given vegan, pb and nanna, or pick of the patch Mother Hubbard "cookies". He is also given fruit based treats or dried sweet potatoes. Help!...my house is beginning to get buried.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I have a furminator n I used it on my previous German Shepherd. Idk but the more I used it the more the hair never stopped accumulating. GS are double coated. Then when I got Nyala 6yrs ago, I used it on her n same issue. So I’ve stop using it. I use a normal Bristol brush on both of my dogs. I recently bought the brush on the attached link for my new GS puppy. I also use it on my EBs n works great‼️

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Louie is shedding like crazy right now too just like yours where you pet him and cut goes flying everywhere. Bulldogs usually blow their coats twice a year.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Ours blow coat after every bath. As soon as they dry out from a bath they get ZOOMED GROOMED.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I have this great Miele vacuum cleaner that has suction strength control. I put it on low, put on the furniture brush, and brush the dogs with it. They LOVE LOVE LOVE it and would get the butt-wiggle when I vacuum right above their tail. Hah hah.

Anyway, I think it depends on the bulldog. Bullie wasn't much of a shedder although she does get the seasonal sheds. Angus sheds a lot more but not like you describe. Angus also has longer hair than Bullie.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I just finished brushing this furball. Cleaned the brush 7x n that’s when I couldn’t see the spikes of the brush anymore. I brush 1-2x a week. I’ll take Nyala’s n Jake’s fur over Miss furball anytime loll.

Attachments

• 44CFFDD9-F4AA-4E26-B5F1-AE8EA87B647F.jpeg
    44CFFDD9-F4AA-4E26-B5F1-AE8EA87B647F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
  • 14C59158-1095-47D9-93C9-C08B6AE469C0.jpeg
    14C59158-1095-47D9-93C9-C08B6AE469C0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 91

Diesel1

Jun 3, 2021
Long Island, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
My 3 year old sheds ridiculously. Is this common for the breed. I realize most dogs shed, and as the warmer weather approaches, it will increase. Hoagie sheds hair in mass abundance. The shed hairs are actually visible on him. You can see a layer on top of his coat waiting to fall off. If I pet him, head to tail, there's a small pile where my hand rests. I brush him daily (sometimes multiple times a day) with the furminator. One light run across his coat and it is full. I also use a slickeez brush and it never let's up, it keeps coming off no matter how long I brush him. I've used deshedding shampoos, sensitive skin baby wipes. I feed him earthborn hollistic unrefined smoked salmon. He's given vegan, pb and nanna, or pick of the patch Mother Hubbard "cookies". He is also given fruit based treats or dried sweet potatoes. Help!...my house is beginning to get buried.
Happened to mine a few months ago. There's shedding, then there's shedding that's not normal. Mine was the latter. If you pet him, you'd have clumps of hair in your hand, on your body, everywhere, just pulled out. I figured it was seasonal alopecia or diet related. I added salmon oil to his food, grizzly made the best one, and holy crap.... the stuff was amazing. Didn't happen overnight but after a few weeks, it was like night and day. Coat was puppy soft again, smooth, shiny, gorgeous... but then we found out he tested for a mild allergy to salmon. Trying pollack oil and a mushroom powder supplement as well.
The alopecia cure is supposedly more daylight. I couldn't change that other than making sure he had suny spots in the house to lay down. I think the salmon oil was really the best thing for him. Not too bad smell wise either. I would typical break up his 3 pumps a day by doing 2 in AM 1 at night since I spend the most time with him at night and the 1 pump was barely noticeable.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lambeau just started blowing his coat… I use a zoom groom every few days outside, it helps get rid of the losse fur

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
It's a bulldog. they shed all the time. Get used to it lol. If I saved all the hair after a few years I would have a new 50lb bulldog.

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.