Halloween Safety For Dogs


Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Halloween Is Almost Here

Make Sure Your Pets Stay Safe

The end of October is fast approaching, which means one thing: Halloween is almost here! While this ghoulish holiday is fun for we humans, it can bring about some hazards for our furry companions. The most common Halloween pet dangers include:

Candy – It can be difficult for us to show restraint when eating Halloween candy, so just think of how hard it would be for your pet to do so. A pet’s overindulgence in candy can lead to pancreatitis, which is the painful inflammation of the pancreas. Symptoms include: loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, pain and lethargy.

Candy Wrappers – Candy wrappers smell like candy, so they are very attractive to pets. But foil and plastic wrappers can cause severe digestive issues and impede bowel movements.

Chocolate – Like most humans, pets are drawn to the smell and taste of chocolate, but this delectable treat is very dangerous for them. Their bodies aren’t built to metabolize chocolate, so poisoning is a real threat. Symptoms to look for after chocolate ingestion include: vomiting, diarrhea, increased heart rate and lethargy.

Raisins – While raisins are a healthier candy alternative for humans, they are quite dangerous for pets. In fact, raisin ingestion can cause a pet to undergo kidney failure. Symptoms of raisin poisoning include: loss of appetite, vomiting, lethargy and severe kidney failure.

Glow Sticks – Pets view glow sticks and jewelry as chew toys, but if these items are ingested, they can cause stomach issues and mouth irritation. Symptoms to look for include vomiting, excessive drooling and foaming at the mouth.

Pet Costumes – Pet costumes are cute, but they can obstruct pets’ vision, hearing, range of motion and cause overheating.

To keep your dogs and cats safe this Halloween, be sure to keep all non-pet treats out of reach and in appropriate containers. Also keep any Halloween décor far out of pets' reach. If your pet happens to get into something he or she shouldn’t this Halloween, or if you suspect poisoning, please do not hesitate to contact Sunset Blvd. Animal Clinic for help!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.