Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
With Easter just around the corner, just a reminder to be careful where you hide your Easter Chocolate, and where you store it, also remind your kids to be careful where they leave their Easter Treats so that the dogs can't get into it and get sick. Chocolate is dangerous to our Furbabies and can make them very sick or can even be fatal to them.

[h=1]4 Types of Chocolate, and How They Impact Dogs[/h]
petmd-seal.jpg

by Elizabeth Xu

While chocolate is a sweet treat that humans can enjoy, itā€™s something dogs should never have. Depending on body weight, even a small bite of chocolate can make a dog sickā€”in a large enough quantity, death is a possibility.

Of course, not all chocolate is equal and you likely have a few different types in your home right now. Read on to find out how each type might affect your pup.

[h=2]Types of Chocolate[/h]Dogs are most likely to consume chocolate around Halloween, Christmas, Valentineā€™s Day, and Easter, says Dr. Judy Morgan, DVM, a holistic veterinarian at Clayton and Churchtown Veterinary Associates in New Jersey. However, you should always be vigilant and not leave chocolate products where a curious dog might find them.

Theobromine is the ingredient in chocolate thatā€™s toxic to dogs, Morgan says. Different types of chocolate have varying amounts of theobromine, so their toxicity levels will vary. There are also other ingredients, like sugar, that are often combined with chocolate that can also be harmful to dogs.

[h=2]White chocolate[/h]Of the chocolates listed here, white chocolate has the lowest levels of theobromine, but that doesnā€™t mean your dog is in the all clear after chowing down: Morgan says the amount of sugar in white chocolate could be harmful, too.

ā€œ[It] could cause vomiting and diarrhea, possibly pancreatitis, but not the heart problems associated with theobromine,ā€ she says.

[h=2]Milk chocolate[/h]Milk chocolate is found in a variety of items you might have in your pantry, including candy from Halloween or Valentineā€™s Day. While it does contain theobromine, the levels are lower than in dark and backing chocolate, Morgan says.

ā€œLarge volumes of mild chocolate generally result in vomiting and diarrhea,ā€ she says.

[h=2]Dark chocolate[/h]Both dark chocolate and baking chocolate can be harmful to dogs in much small amounts than milk or white chocolate. The symptoms can be severe: Morgan says fast and irregular heartbeats are likely to occur. Additional issues include tremors, seizures, and possibly death, according to the American Kennel Club (AKC).

[h=2]Baking chocolate[/h]Baking chocolate can cause the most harm to dogs due its levels of theobromine. Additional problems can occur if the baking chocolate was consumed in the form of baked goods such as cake or brownies.

ā€œIf the baked goods also contain raisins or macadamia nuts, it's even more trouble,ā€ Morgan says. ā€œAdded sugar in the baked goods will contribute to vomiting, diarrhea, and possibly pancreatitis.ā€

Like with dark chocolate, heart issues can occur when dogs eat even a small amount of baking chocolate.

[h=2]What to Do if Your Dog Has Ingested Chocolate[/h]If you didnā€™t see your dog actually eat the chocolate, it can be difficult to pinpoint when it happened. The ASPCA says symptoms donā€™t necessarily occur immediately, and can happen up to eight hours after the chocolate was consumed.

ā€œThe first step is really to figure out how much the dog ate,ā€ Morgan says. ā€œIf it only ate a small amount of milk chocolate, veterinary intervention is probably not needed. If the dog ate quite a bit of baking or dark chocolate, definitely contact a veterinarian.ā€

Keep in mind that the amount of chocolate that can cause harm to a dog with less body weight is smaller and that older dogs or dogs with a previous heart condition might react to the chocolate differently, according to the AKC

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
This has been a Public Service Announcement from [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION]. Thank you very much.

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Wow! Lot's of good info that's important to know to keep our little ones safe. I knew chocolate was a no-no but didn't know why. Thanks so much Monica, I hope everyone reads this! (Love the photo's, yum! Think I'll make some brownies!) xo Susan

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
:rofl:

She keeps us well informed with her PSA's

I make a motion to start a new EBN position...EBNPAO...EBN Public Affairs Officer....what do you say [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] or are you just going to "fluff" this off? :excited:

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I make a motion to start a new EBN position...EBNPAO...EBN Public Affairs Officer....what do you say @Vikinggirl or are you just going to "fluff" this off? :excited:

lol. No Fluffing. Fluffing is bad, a fluff is a fart. Lol. I will take the position. I can wear many shirts. Do I get a name tag for this position?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 160

Members online

No members online now.