FAQ: Does your bulldog have tear stains?

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty had tears stains when we got him but they went as soon as I got him off Royal Canin, which was the food his previous owners fed him. Never had them since.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Farrah has very bad tear stains. They go from her eye all the way down to her mouth. I've tried coconut oil, as the breeder suggested and I bought wrinkle paste by squish face, has not helped at all...
I've read about baby powder, corn starch and witch hazel concoctions, milk of magnesia even? I don't want to sting her eyes or hurt her in any way.
I'm going to try some of the suggestions I just read here, and I'm curious if teething has anything to do with it?? (I read somewhere that until they're done teething nothing will help tear stains, is this true??) She's still a puppy, almost 6 months old.

yes, teething can add to it. But it is one of those things, you have to find what causes it. Could be food, allergies, eye lids, eye lashes. process of elimination.
My guys is 5 and his eyes never stop tearing, environmental allergies are his problem, so there is always a slight stain for him, even with daily cleaning and feeding raw.

Reggietheveggie

Nov 6, 2017
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Reginald
Hello guys, my boy is 2 years old and he has had constant tearing :( heā€™s had allergy tests and nothing came back, heā€™s had food change, eyelashes checked for inverting etc, all fine, I use vet prescribed wipes every other day to clean, heā€™s never had any infections but they look so sore all the time! Does anyone else know what to do?! I feel awful for him but the vets have basically said thereā€™s nothing they can do other than remove his tear ducts? X 2ED8FDE7-3E88-44FF-9941-EFFB9026D48E.jpeg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello guys, my boy is 2 years old and he has had constant tearing :( heā€™s had allergy tests and nothing came back, heā€™s had food change, eyelashes checked for inverting etc, all fine, I use vet prescribed wipes every other day to clean, heā€™s never had any infections but they look so sore all the time! Does anyone else know what to do?! I feel awful for him but the vets have basically said thereā€™s nothing they can do other than remove his tear ducts? X View attachment 118521

It could be environmental allergies... also what food are you feeding brand and protein

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reggietheveggie

Nov 6, 2017
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Reginald
It could be environmental allergies... also what food are you feeding brand and protein

Heā€™s on James well beloved grain free turkey & veg & his wet food is butchers grain free in jelly? Thank you!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Heā€™s on James well beloved grain free turkey & veg & his wet food is butchers grain free in jelly? Thank you!

Good choices.... maybe try the duck protein if they have one, but it seems environmental. You can give an over the counter drug like Benedryl to help lessen but it never really goes away.
[MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION]s

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
For environmental allergies I'd recommend to wipe his underside and paws with an unscented wet wipe after every time he's been out. Also, cetirizine 10mg twice daily would be better than Benadryl long term, since there's no anticholinergic (drying and sedating) side effects.

For food I'd definitely recommend a switch to frozen raw duck for a month to see if that works.

I've been cleaning my bulldog's ropes that her eyes drain into with the following regimen,every 2 days, and it works great:

1) Wet a cosmetic round and apply a dollop of chlorhexidine/ketoconazole shampoo to it, and clean both wrinkles
2) Wet a 2nd cosmetic round and wipe out wrinkles
3) Use a 3rd dry cosmetic round to dry out wrinkles

Jan 22, 2020
WV
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oscar
Oscar was getting them but are going away. I have started wiping his face daily with deodorizing wipes and have changed his food to Purina Pro Plan Lamb & Rice. Seems to be doing the trick. They are almost completely gone now. Here are some before and after pics after about three weeks.

9E385F96-C324-4575-98C1-F50A37FFDD51.jpeg5A935954-43BD-4D2A-901C-F55D9FD85D9B.jpeg5C4C8C34-7844-4B45-BB56-25D47609084B.jpeg

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Oscar was getting them but are going away. I have started wiping his face daily with deodorizing wipes and have changed his food to Purina Pro Plan Lamb & Rice. Seems to be doing the trick. They are almost completely gone now. Here are some before and after pics after about three weeks.

View attachment 118524View attachment 118525View attachment 118526
Cute dog ! Olde English Bulldogs tend to be a lot healthier than English bulldogs. I had my dog on Purina pro and regular wipes at one point which did nothing for her, eventually switched her to dehydrated raw which was better, but she didn't fully improve until I switched her to the frozen raw.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online