Does my EBD look normal?

Kristenek

New member
Joined
Feb 24, 2023
Messages
4
Reaction score
5
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Maple and Georgia
Hi! So we have one EBD already, but our new EBD puppy is growing so different than our first. We saw her parents and she's AKC registered, we love her no matter what, but she just doesn't look like an EBD sometimes. She is about 5 months old, and just seems so long and skinny (but with lots of excess skin). We are feeding her the recommended amount and the vet isn't worried about it, but I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and think she'll turn out okay?

Side note: her paws are huge, her coat is a little thicker/softer than our other, her ears sit a bit different, her underbite is smaller.

Pics included for reference!
 

Attachments

  • F9801389-C8D4-42DB-BDAF-7927BC3F8E86.webp
    F9801389-C8D4-42DB-BDAF-7927BC3F8E86.webp
    140.1 KB · Views: 190
  • 113DFDB5-FAB3-4303-9A70-0AE127C821AE.webp
    113DFDB5-FAB3-4303-9A70-0AE127C821AE.webp
    54.3 KB · Views: 191
  • FCB39025-57D2-48F1-9631-8258067B706F.webp
    FCB39025-57D2-48F1-9631-8258067B706F.webp
    248.8 KB · Views: 192
  • 9D7190EA-0058-42FA-9C72-13A98B68D8F7.webp
    9D7190EA-0058-42FA-9C72-13A98B68D8F7.webp
    183.5 KB · Views: 178
I think it is what my husband calls the Scooby Doo phase. Our dogs also went through an age (around that time - 5 monthsish) where they were longer, lankier, and "strange" looking, lol. Probably nothing more than that. She is beautiful!
 
It's hard to tell at such a young age as they go through so many changes but from first glance, the ears and nose have me wondering if she might be mixed. And I hate to say it, but being registered with AKC does not necessarily mean anything.

But they do go through a lanky phase as puppies.
 
Can you post a couple pics of tail?
 

Attachments

  • E1A8A06C-DE05-4441-8FD9-1C0D12773BF6.webp
    E1A8A06C-DE05-4441-8FD9-1C0D12773BF6.webp
    945.2 KB · Views: 175
It was docked? Bulldogs should not have docked tails.
I assumed so? I have never seen a bulldog with a tail, but maybe they're naturally short?
 
I assumed so? I have never seen a bulldog with a tail, but maybe they're naturally short?
Bulldogs can have tails, albeit not super long ones like other breeds, or short little nubs.
 
Bulldogs can have tails, albeit not super long ones like other breeds, or short little nubs.
Ah, I just assumed they had docked it short. The vet said sometimes they're corkscrewed, but our pup's is just slightly curved so they weren't too worried about it.
 
To me from the photos, her nose, length and ears don’t look like she is full English Bulldog. Probably a mix with something else.

She’s definitely cute though!
 
What cutie pie!! As others have stated, they go through a lanky stage and all grow differently. Wait till she is about a year , you'll see better how she will look as an adult and keep in mind they continue to fill out up to age 2.
 
Agree with what cbrugs said about AKC registration. You can find registered litters of disqualifying colors from “AKC breeders” on the AKC market place most days.

Do you have photos of the parents? And can you post a photo of his head stacked from the side? They can certainly look funny as they mature, but as others have said your suspicion is founded.

I would compare his features to the parents and continue to watch as he matures. And pour love onto him regardless 😉

I assumed so? I have never seen a bulldog with a tail, but maybe they're naturally short?
The BCA Illustrated Standard guide has a great section on Bulldog tails, and is in general a fantastic resource:

A9209FD9-FED7-4536-94B9-679264765197.jpeg
 
Last edited:
That’s a normal bulldog tail, not docked. Your pup could be a mix, or perhaps not. Once he’s fully grown and developed, then you can decide.
 
Jake has the exact same tail. I saw his parents n both had same tail. Often the cute rose ears as their call dont always form. You can have them flop or only one flops. Why some breeders will glue the ears to form a rose till the ear cartilage builds up on its own. Don’t worry about it. They will go through many changes.
 
Hi! So we have one EBD already, but our new EBD puppy is growing so different than our first. We saw her parents and she's AKC registered, we love her no matter what, but she just doesn't look like an EBD sometimes. She is about 5 months old, and just seems so long and skinny (but with lots of excess skin). We are feeding her the recommended amount and the vet isn't worried about it, but I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and think she'll turn out okay?

Side note: her paws are huge, her coat is a little thicker/softer than our other, her ears sit a bit different, her underbite is smaller.

Pics included for reference!
What a cutie.
You can do a DNA at home test where you mail in to see dog breed. It is worth a shot to know for sure for your own sake.

Have you seen photos of the parents and grandparents? If you know your breeder it’s never too late to ask. I can see similarities from my dog from both Mom and Dad or grandpa :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top