Crazy dogs

minton5825

Mar 11, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Spike
My bulldogs are the sweetest until someone new comes in the house. Then they act crazy and jump on people. I have been to two different training classes and cannot stop this. Any ideas?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Leash them or crate till the calm down. also Tell visitors to ignore pups and keep walking till the pups settle down… if you give attention during that behavior, it tells them they are doing the right thing

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
My male does NOT like anyone he doesn't know coming into the house. Being in a crate doesn't work because he just works himself up into a dither and I worry that is bad for him. I have tried training as well. Unfortunately, in my case, I have to give him Trazodone when I have family and people come over.

OP
M

minton5825

Mar 11, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Spike
Leash them or crate till the calm down. also Tell visitors to ignore pups and keep walking till the pups settle down… if you give attention during that behavior, it tells them they are doing the right thing
I have done all of this and as soon as they we take them out of the crate they jump all over everyone. I’ve leashed them also. Doesnthelp

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ugh! How old are they? Have you been able to teach them any commands… stay, leave it?

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Your dogs need to learn to obey you at all times. So, if the dog is not obedience trained, look into that first. Having an obedient dog is very important not only in these situations with guests but also in making sure the dog doesn't break leash to get to a squirrel, etc. Bulldogs are especially needing obedience training, not because they're dumb dogs (on the contrary, they are very intelligent), but because they have an independent streak. They understand what you're wanting them to do, they just think they know better.

When the dog is obedience trained but then they get too excited that they can't obey you, they need to be crated until they do. So yes, this might mean staying in the crate until the guests leave. If your dog is not crate-trained (the dog needs to know the crate is his safe space), then look into that next.

If the dog "works himself up to a dither" in the crate, then he needs stimulation reduced. There are several ways to accomplish this. The crate can be situated in a bedroom which is far from the hubbub of guests activity. You can optionally drape a black-out blanket over the crate leaving a few inches of air space from the floor.
When the dog calms down and he gets a better chance at obeying you, then you can let him out. If he stops listening to you again, send him back to the crate.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.