Recommendations for training good greeting manners

Vabulldog

Nov 11, 2015
Richmond, Va.
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Our Brutus loves everyone! To be fair, we donā€™t have a ton of company. When someone comes into the house Brutus usually will go to their feet and roll on his back like he wants a belly rub, he will also sit to be pet. Iā€™m good with either of those behaviors. Sometimes he will try to jump up. We are constantly saying ā€œNo, jumpingā€. Sometimes I will stand right next to company and give him a bump or nudge just as heā€™s about to jump to discourage the behavior. Brutus is quite frantic during this time and doesnā€™t listen to most of his commands as well as he normally does. He loads up before he jumps so I can usually see it coming. After the newness of a person has worn off they can play fetch with him and he will just take a nap.

This may just be part of training. Brutus is 1 years old. Any tips, tricks, or advice?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
How about putting a leash on him when people come over until he calms down? Or putting him in a crate. All of mine get overly excited and then calm down once everyone settles in.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
I second what @Cbrugs suggested above:
  • When you know someone is coming over, leash up
  • If that doesn't work, kennel up
  • If that doesn't work a sheet goes over the kennel
When calm the sheet can come off, the kennel can open, the leash can come off... resetting when needed.

Even though Millie is normally calm now, we sometimes still need to kennel and throw a cover over it.

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
I would keep a collar on him and when he jumps up, grab the collar and sternly say "Off". Work on the "Sit" command and use high value treats until he learns it, then wean off the treats. To get a couple of the obedience titles in AKC, the dog has to learn to sit in order to get a pet from someone. It takes time but at 1 yr old, it shouldn't take long if done consistently for a few weeks. But it should be in his 'portfolio' no matter what.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree with the gang.... I had to do this with our female, she was crazy when company came in the house. So leash was on whenever we knew company was coming and it stay on tethered to my waste till she settled down. After a few weeks, we didn't need it any longer, we would place her in a sit/stay and she knew not to jump. AND, company was told to walk by her till we said it was OK to pet.

Members online

No members online now.