A Dogs Purpose (from a 6-year-old)

izstigspunks

Moderator
Joined
Sep 16, 2010
Messages
5,939
Reaction score
336
Location
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
A short story from a vet site I subscribe to. Enjoy!

Warning: Possible :cry:

A Dog’s Purpose (from a 6-year-old)

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish wolfhound named Belker. The dog’s owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their little boy, shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn’t do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker’s family surrounding him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker’s transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker’s death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.

Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, ā€œI know why.ā€

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I’d never heard a more comforting explanation. He said, ā€œPeople are born so that they can learn how to live a good life – like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?ā€

The six-year-old continued, ā€œWell, dogs already know how to do that, so they don’t have to stay as long.ā€
 
Last edited:
Re: A Dog’s Purpose (from a 6-year-old)

That is wonderful and made me cry.
 
Re: A Dog’s Purpose (from a 6-year-old)

:*( Such a sweet story
 
Re: A Dog’s Purpose (from a 6-year-old)

Leave it to a 6 year old to come up with the right answer. Awesome.
 
Re: A Dog’s Purpose (from a 6-year-old)

Too late..... pass the tissue :(
 
Re: A Dog’s Purpose (from a 6-year-old)

that is very sweet, but children always seem so wise to the ways of the world!
 
Re: A Dog’s Purpose (from a 6-year-old)

That really bummed me out.
 
Re: A Dog’s Purpose (from a 6-year-old)

oh, great, i didn't see your "warning" til after I read this as i was wiping my eyeballs! so beautiful and so true too!
 
Re: A Dog’s Purpose (from a 6-year-old)

Love this! too sweet!
 
Re: A Dog’s Purpose (from a 6-year-old)

OH.... pass me a tissue too! I did not see the warning and I am sitting here with blurred eyes typing!! Very Sweet! But Ohhhh how sad!!
 
Re: A Dog’s Purpose (from a 6-year-old)

Omg I swear I'm so emotional, this made me so cry!:*(
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

šŸ“° Latest posts

Back
Top