13wk puppy - congestion, choking and breathing issues.

Vastuss

Jan 5, 2022
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Hello,
Iā€™ve recently gotten a puppy from a decent breeder. We got her at 8 weeks and she was fine.
When she was around 10 weeks she started getting REALLY congested to the point breathing was visibly difficult for her at times. I can only describe it as a human having the worst mucus stuck in both nose and throat and struggling to breathe.
Sheā€™s had her vaccines and a kennel cough shot.
In regards to the congestion, she was initially put on antibiotics, they didnā€™t help and then she received an anti-inflammatory shot + mucolytics a few days ago. We also stick her in the bathroom and steam her up 1-2 times a day.
Today sheā€™s had her worst episode so far - to the point she was foaming at the mouth and passing gas from clenching so hard. I was certain she was going to choke to death.
The vets listened to her lungs and said theyā€™re fine, but suggested it could be the nares + soft palate, but sheā€™s far too young for surgery yet. I fear if the has another bad episode she might not make it.
She seems to be fine for maybe 50% of the day, then 30% is pretty congested and 20% is pure agony for her.

Does anyone have any advice or has had similar issues? Iā€™m not sure how to help her and Iā€™m feeling very powerless.
Iā€™ve attached a link to a video (not sure if allowed) here. This video is maybe 10 minutes before it got much worse - https://streamable.com/nso1ix

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
This poor litle pup can not go on like this. I suggest you find a better veterinarian. This is definately serious.
@helsonwheels can give you a formula for your steamer in the meantime. Find someone else before it's too late
er i

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello,
Iā€™ve recently gotten a puppy from a decent breeder. We got her at 8 weeks and she was fine.
When she was around 10 weeks she started getting REALLY congested to the point breathing was visibly difficult for her at times. I can only describe it as a human having the worst mucus stuck in both nose and throat and struggling to breathe.
In regards to the congestion, she was initially put on antibiotics, they didnā€™t help and then she received an anti-inflammatory shot + mucolytics a few days ago. We also stick her in the bathroom and steam her up 1-2 times a day.
Today sheā€™s had her worst episode so far - to the point she was foaming at the mouth and passing gas from clenching so hard. I was certain she was going to choke to death.
The vets listened to her lungs and said theyā€™re fine, but suggested it could be the nares + soft palate, but sheā€™s far too young for surgery yet. I fear if the has another bad episode she might not make it.
She seems to be fine for maybe 50% of the day, then 30% is pretty congested and 20% is pure agony for her.

Does anyone have any advice or has had similar issues? Iā€™m not sure how to help her and Iā€™m feeling very powerless.
Iā€™ve attached a link to a video (not sure if allowed) here. This video is maybe 10 minutes before it got much worse - https://streamable.com/nso1ix
Sweet girlā€¦ nothing normal there at all. Find a new vet and get her tchecked outā€¦ at her age a minor infection can turn into pneumonia really quick.

please keep us posted

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Find a good bulldog vet in your area and have her palate checked. She may have an elongated palate and will need surgery to fix. It is a common surgery, but a good bulldog vet needs to do it so they give her the right anesthesia. She will eventually get pneumonia if it is not taken care of.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Any news?
I don't know where you are in the UK but I have had good reports from a neighbour about Dick White Referrals. He has taken his dogs there (not bulldogs) They are near Newmarket and it was over 200 miles rt for him. It may be worth giving them a call. You can check them out on their FB page too. https://www.dickwhitereferrals.com/

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello,

Diffuser recipe : In one cup of water addā€¦ā€¦

8drops of each: eucalyptus, lavender, peppermint, lemongrass

5drops of tea tree

place the diffuser where the puppy sleeps & keep it on 24/7 . Puppy will cough out guk n thats ok. It needs to come out.

Members online

No members online now.