Switched to raw, lots more pooping. feeding too much?

firstimebully

Jul 6, 2021
Country
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Lenny
hey everyone :)

Lenny is 17 months old and i switched him onto a raw diet just over a week ago. He'd been on Purina Hypoallergenic for a couple of months which was suggested by the vet after he had cystine stones removed so for the moment he's eating this https://www.naturesmenu.co.uk/full-flavoured-rabbit-nmnrc

he loves it and it already seems to have made a difference with him licking his paws which is great but he's pooping a lot more and has even done it indoors overnight a couple of times recently. all fine and solid poops but it seems a bit odd because he's been house trained for a while now. Last time I weighed him he was 17kg (37.5lbs), I'm feeding him 500 grams a day, 250 in the morning and 250 in the evening (like 530pm). Do you think thats too much and might explain the extra poops?

Thanks!

Glad itā€™s working. Rule of thumb on a raw diet itā€™s 1 lb 454g for a 50lb dog. That being said, if youā€™re also giving him treats? That needs to be added to the pound a day. Are his treats raw or 100% protein only? If full of grains that wonā€™t help his poop. Bare in mind in his raw diet thereā€™s Peas, Swede, Carrots, Cranberries, Spinach Yucca n Tea extract. That will make a poop bigger than a raw diet without veggies.

Sounds like Iā€™m probably feeding him a bit too much then! Until today Iā€™ve only been giving him a few frozen blueberries and green beans as treats. Had some fruitables arrive today so will be trying them over the next few days as well. Heā€™s hungry regardless of how much I feed him!

Dogs will eat 24/7 especially raw. My 2 will eat till they croak if I allow them. I give them either frozen Smelts, dry liver or beef strips as a morning n noon snack. Sometimes itā€™s beef tongue or heart. Their main meal is at supper. So just split up the snacks if youā€™re home. if not he can wait. Btw raw marrow bones are great to keep them busy throughout the day.
Sounds like Iā€™m probably feeding him a bit too much then! Until today Iā€™ve only been giving him a few frozen blueberries and green beans as treats. Had some fruitables arrive today so will be trying them over the next few days as well. Heā€™s hungry regardless of how much I feed him!

You generally want to feed 2-3% of body weight depending on level of activity. It could take a bit to find the exact amount that works.

Helene and Citty have you coveredā€¦. Gotta find that balance

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.
Back