Switched to raw, lots more pooping. feeding too much?

firstimebully

Jul 6, 2021
Country
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Lenny
hey everyone :)

Lenny is 17 months old and i switched him onto a raw diet just over a week ago. He'd been on Purina Hypoallergenic for a couple of months which was suggested by the vet after he had cystine stones removed so for the moment he's eating this https://www.naturesmenu.co.uk/full-flavoured-rabbit-nmnrc

he loves it and it already seems to have made a difference with him licking his paws which is great but he's pooping a lot more and has even done it indoors overnight a couple of times recently. all fine and solid poops but it seems a bit odd because he's been house trained for a while now. Last time I weighed him he was 17kg (37.5lbs), I'm feeding him 500 grams a day, 250 in the morning and 250 in the evening (like 530pm). Do you think thats too much and might explain the extra poops?

Thanks!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Glad itā€™s working. Rule of thumb on a raw diet itā€™s 1 lb 454g for a 50lb dog. That being said, if youā€™re also giving him treats? That needs to be added to the pound a day. Are his treats raw or 100% protein only? If full of grains that wonā€™t help his poop. Bare in mind in his raw diet thereā€™s Peas, Swede, Carrots, Cranberries, Spinach Yucca n Tea extract. That will make a poop bigger than a raw diet without veggies.

OP
F

firstimebully

Jul 6, 2021
Country
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Lenny
Sounds like Iā€™m probably feeding him a bit too much then! Until today Iā€™ve only been giving him a few frozen blueberries and green beans as treats. Had some fruitables arrive today so will be trying them over the next few days as well. Heā€™s hungry regardless of how much I feed him!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Dogs will eat 24/7 especially raw. My 2 will eat till they croak if I allow them. I give them either frozen Smelts, dry liver or beef strips as a morning n noon snack. Sometimes itā€™s beef tongue or heart. Their main meal is at supper. So just split up the snacks if youā€™re home. if not he can wait. Btw raw marrow bones are great to keep them busy throughout the day.
Sounds like Iā€™m probably feeding him a bit too much then! Until today Iā€™ve only been giving him a few frozen blueberries and green beans as treats. Had some fruitables arrive today so will be trying them over the next few days as well. Heā€™s hungry regardless of how much I feed him!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
You generally want to feed 2-3% of body weight depending on level of activity. It could take a bit to find the exact amount that works.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Helene and Citty have you coveredā€¦. Gotta find that balance

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.