Stubbornness creating safety issues

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
Hi all-

I am in need of advice. Over the past couple of months, my bully 3-year old bully has become super stubborn. When walking, if something catches his attention (usually a person or another dog) he stops and will not budge. This has become a safety issue. For example, walking alone at night, crossing the street, or running into people too interested in my pup for comfort. Hoping you get what I mean here.

I want him to enjoy walks. Itā€™s okay to stop and sniff, investigate things while walking. However, there are times when we need to keep it moving. Things I have tried include: 1) not breaking my stride when walking, 2) dragging along, 3) blocking/distracting with my body, and 4) squeak toys. Finley is nearly 50 pounds (22 kg) of muscle so you can imagine how poorly the first panned. The loud squeak toy success rate is around 30%.

I get the stubbornness is a breed trait. Additionally, I do not want to cause harm by dragging or anxiety from a shake can. Recommendations are welcome.

Many thanks!
*Also posted under training and behavior

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Sounds like a curious George :) But how far you walking him? Sadly theyā€™re bulldogs so ā€œnot breaking my stride when walking,ā€ they will.

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
Sounds like a curious George :) But how far you walking him? Sadly theyā€™re bulldogs so ā€œnot breaking my stride when walking,ā€ they will.

Finley loves the outdoors. There are people, birds, squirrels, kids, etc. to watch.
He will walk and walk. We do short walks, micro walks, and long walks. Distance is not the issue. Itā€™s the power struggle and no awareness of danger. We used to cross the street no problem. Now, when the light changes I worry.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Hi all-

I am in need of advice. Over the past couple of months, my bully 3-year old bully has become super stubborn. When walking, if something catches his attention (usually a person or another dog) he stops and will not budge. This has become a safety issue. For example, walking alone at night, crossing the street, or running into people too interested in my pup for comfort. Hoping you get what I mean here.

I want him to enjoy walks. Itā€™s okay to stop and sniff, investigate things while walking. However, there are times when we need to keep it moving. Things I have tried include: 1) not breaking my stride when walking, 2) dragging along, 3) blocking/distracting with my body, and 4) squeak toys. Finley is nearly 50 pounds (22 kg) of muscle so you can imagine how poorly the first panned. The loud squeak toy success rate is around 30%.

I get the stubbornness is a breed trait. Additionally, I do not want to cause harm by dragging or anxiety from a shake can. Recommendations are welcome.

Many thanks!
*Also posted under training and behavior

Hi there, good morning! Have you tried the liver training treats? I used these with Joey BUT only when we were at the point in the walk that I needed her to keep moving. Perhaps when you are waiting for the light try "ready, treat..." so that she gets used to verbal command and give her the treat on the other side. Practice at home a few times so that he remembers the command, keeps moving, and treat on the other side. Believe me, if high value treat is involved he will keep moving :)

Hope this helps, enjoy the day!

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] I will give it a go. Thank you.

Frost

Jun 20, 2020
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
I have Trained Bruno with a Shock Collar and before anyone jumps on me I never used the shock feature on him. I only used the Audible and when he ignores the beep I use a mild vibration mode. I highly recommend it to anyone. Bully's can be very stubborn this. Now I he walk's with me at pet friendly places without a leach. I found mine on amazon for about 30 bucks try it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This is a tough oneā€¦. My Frenchie does this at times too and I have had to give a little pat on the butt to get him moving again, but at times he will not budge. Luckily, being small I can scoop him up.

Iā€™d try a high value treat, let him know you have it but do give to you finish the walk. Then high praise with treat as the reward at end

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions