SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Re: Puppy diarrhea

I know a couple owners that did what youā€™re doing. At home version. First would be a bland diet. Science Hill will definitely not help. If the vet gave you antibiotics keep him on it along with nausea meds. Severely dehydrated is what you need to be on top of. He needs to drink a lot of water or even better buy distilled water cause it has minerals in it.

Hereā€™s a link that might help you since youā€™re doing it yourself at home. Read it over. Again dont forget the water as diarrhea n vomiting will drain all fluids in him.

https://bullyade.com/parvo-home-treatment/

Yes! He wonā€™t even look at the dry dog food at the moment so Iā€™m not too concerned with it, the vet told us to give him anything he would eat which so far has been nothing. We checked with them and they gave us the okay on baby food so tonight we syringe fed him some chicken and gravy with his anti nausea pill! We were initially giving him pedialyte per the vets instructions however they have given us a type of pedialyte on steroids (itā€™s called rebound), he gets 16 ml twice a day along with his iv fluid and the regular water weā€™re giving him, if he chooses to be fussy I have low sodium chicken broth I can give him as well, we have a water purification thing put on the house so we just give him that water we also bought bottles incase thatā€™s not enough.

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear

Try not to be nervous, dogs pick up on our emotions so try to stay calm. Is your vet 24/7, if not just in case find one that is so if needed you can get there or call them.

Sheā€™s not unfortunately but she did advise us to know where a 24/7 vet clinic is incase he suddenly starts deteriorating. So tomorrow we are going to be looking for one, I honestly need to get my emotions in check Iā€™ll just sit there and cry and my sweet boy uses all his strength it seems to sit up and look at me, he quickly has to lay down after. But I appreciate his sentiments.

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear

Try not to be nervous, dogs pick up on our emotions so try to stay calm. Is your vet 24/7, if not just in case find one that is so if needed you can get there or call them.

0352eea7f7852bb09a0b4302569aee66.jpg

Just a little update! Heā€™s taking fluids like a champ and is currently attempting to play with us!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)

0352eea7f7852bb09a0b4302569aee66.jpg

Just a little update! Heā€™s taking fluids like a champ and is currently attempting to play with us!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting this lovely photo. So sorry that you have to go through this but I'm so happy that you take things seriously and spend time with him as this will help him. Your vet sounds really good too. I'll show this pic to Castor when he wakes up by lunch time (he is 8 and has no interest in early mornings...)

Wishing baby Bear a speedy recovery!

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021

So sorry you are having to deal with this but you are doing such a fantastic job of caring for your little boy and as always getting some great advice from the members.

Try not to be nervous (easier said than done) you are doing everything you possibly can, sending love and positive thoughts for you all.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Sheā€™s not unfortunately but she did advise us to know where a 24/7 vet clinic is incase he suddenly starts deteriorating. So tomorrow we are going to be looking for one, I honestly need to get my emotions in check Iā€™ll just sit there and cry and my sweet boy uses all his strength it seems to sit up and look at me, he quickly has to lay down after. But I appreciate his sentiments.
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] is in Katy, maybe he knows the 24/7 vet in the area. A few members are in Houston area too, but Iā€™m blanking on the names. UGH

How was the night? He is so adorable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

I'm just reading this, oh gosh I'm SO very sorry...

One of our pups had Giardia, but it mimics Parvo... it was HORRIBLE, and Winston was SO very sick!!! We kept him at home, and would take him in the vets daily for fluids. It's extremely important that they stay as hydrated as possible. Sending prayers for your little one!!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Yes! He wonā€™t even look at the dry dog food at the moment so Iā€™m not too concerned with it, the vet told us to give him anything he would eat which so far has been nothing. We checked with them and they gave us the okay on baby food so tonight we syringe fed him some chicken and gravy with his anti nausea pill! We were initially giving him pedialyte per the vets instructions however they have given us a type of pedialyte on steroids (itā€™s called rebound), he gets 16 ml twice a day along with his iv fluid and the regular water weā€™re giving him, if he chooses to be fussy I have low sodium chicken broth I can give him as well, we have a water purification thing put on the house so we just give him that water we also bought bottles incase thatā€™s not enough.

Youā€™re doing great! Broths has one of the top nutrients. Loaded of natural minerals. What a little cutie.

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear

[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] is in Katy, maybe he knows the 24/7 vet in the area. A few members are in Houston area too, but Iā€™m blanking on the names. UGH

How was the night? He is so adorable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The rebound has done wonders on his little body! He got so much energy around 11 last night so I stayed up with him he really wanted to sleep on my chest but I was afraid to fall asleep and he get a bout of the diarrhea.
But this morning we got his iv, his nausea medicine diarrhea medicine and his antibiotics! Took them all like a chap although he did kind of look like Quasimodo after the iv, but he really seemed to perk up! He wanted to walk around with us and even ate some of his kibble, but heā€™s been a really good champ!
afe88f2a0954255ce771942383a21865.jpg

This was him right after the iv before the meds! Heā€™s knocked out right now.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

The rebound has done wonders on his little body! He got so much energy around 11 last night so I stayed up with him he really wanted to sleep on my chest but I was afraid to fall asleep and he get a bout of the diarrhea.
But this morning we got his iv, his nausea medicine diarrhea medicine and his antibiotics! Took them all like a chap although he did kind of look like Quasimodo after the iv, but he really seemed to perk up! He wanted to walk around with us and even ate some of his kibble, but heā€™s been a really good champ!
afe88f2a0954255ce771942383a21865.jpg

This was him right after the iv before the meds! Heā€™s knocked out right now.

Donā€™t give him the Science Hill kibbles. Throw it out. Stick to the bland diet. Again SH loaded with grains. Also is very well know for recalls. Stick to your baby food or boil a whole chicken for a few hrs, take it apart, keep that broth as itā€™s the ā€œgoldā€ of medicine, remove all fat, add rice. You can blend all as baby food or chop all into tiny bite size. Do top the food with that broth. :yes: Glad little guy is on track.

ladywebb

Feb 12, 2021
Midwest
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert

oh, look at that face! I hope your sweet baby Bear gets better soon!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)

So glad to hear he is feeling better.
He is so adorable and look at that coat! I admit I am biased, but surely brindle coats are beautiful! :D

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear

Donā€™t give him the Science Hill kibbles. Throw it out. Stick to the bland diet. Again SH loaded with grains. Also is very well know for recalls. Stick to your baby food or boil a whole chicken for a few hrs, take it apart, keep that broth as itā€™s the ā€œgoldā€ of medicine, remove all fat, add rice. You can blend all as baby food or chop all into tiny bite size. Do top the food with that broth. :yes: Glad little guy is on track.

He only ate a little when he first woke up! It was from thatā€™s morningā€™s breakfast; when we got home picking it up wasnt really on my list [emoji28] but when I noticed I picked it up and gave him a rice mixture I made but I just wanted to put it in for reference that he was getting something of an appetite!!

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear

oh, look at that face! I hope your sweet baby Bear gets better soon!

Thank you heā€™s doing surprisingly well considering everything I researched about parvo online! Heā€™s napping right now but Iā€™m about an hour heā€™s getting his evening medicine!

OP
SidNBear

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear

So glad to hear he is feeling better.
He is so adorable and look at that coat! I admit I am biased, but surely brindle coats are beautiful! :D

Secretly I think they are the prettiest coats! But honestly Iā€™m probably biased too. Heā€™s doing really well! He took his morning and noon medicine like a champ and his iv went without issue, he has not vomited once and he has pooped twice today; it came out soft and yellow but not liquidy and absolutely no rotten blood parvo smell!! Iā€™ve read how sometimes the virus works in waves how heā€™s seemingly doing good then gets really bad then back to good so Iā€™m keeping my fingers crossed but also am prepared. We already ordered some chemicals to clean the house with so we have that to look forward too. Bear has had lots of energy heā€™s chewed my hands and bit my feet already today and was following me around while I did some work. He even ate a container of chicken and gravy baby food without a syringe!! He hasnā€™t thrown that up or anything so Iā€™m really happy! Honestly heā€™s acting like himself again and I hope it doesnā€™t get too bad!! Sorry for the long message hahaha

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.