Peeing on any soft surface

Archibald

Jul 24, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
Hello. I am new this forum and a first time dog owner. Archie is 7 months old. We purchased him from a reputable breeder and brought him home at 8 weeks. Heā€™s been a great pup except when it comes to potty training. Iā€™ve noticed he will urinate on any soft surface at any time, even if heā€™s already just gone outside. The soft surface could be a towel my kids invariably leave on the bathroom floor, a bath mat, carpet, the bed, or a pile of dirty clothes in the laundry room.

He is in a crate overnight (which he hates). He was peeing on the dog bed in the crate, but now that I removed the bed, he stays dry for 8-9 hours a night.

I know the ā€œeasyā€ solution is to keep him on a hard surface at all times, but practically that is impossible as he loves to follow me around the house and many rooms here are carpeted.

I welcome any advice. Thanks!

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hello. I am new this forum and a first time dog owner. Archie is 7 months old. We purchased him from a reputable breeder and brought him home at 8 weeks. Heā€™s been a great pup except when it comes to potty training. Iā€™ve noticed he will urinate on any soft surface at any time, even if heā€™s already just gone outside. The soft surface could be a towel my kids invariably leave on the bathroom floor, a bath mat, carpet, the bed, or a pile of dirty clothes in the laundry room.

He is in a crate overnight (which he hates). He was peeing on the dog bed in the crate, but now that I removed the bed, he stays dry for 8-9 hours a night.

I know the ā€œeasyā€ solution is to keep him on a hard surface at all times, but practically that is impossible as he loves to follow me around the house and many rooms here are carpeted.

Do you use treats when he pees outside??
Do you praise him when he goes outside??

The crate is a really good thing for them as itā€™s their ā€˜safe spaceā€™ or ā€˜quiet placeā€™ so he will get used to it, donā€™t give in when he cries in the crate, make it a good thing when he goes in the crate.

For now, I would say use really good treats he enjoys(Beef Liver my dogs go crazy for), and praise him. Maybe take him outside every 30 minutes to pee outside.

When he is walking around the house, maybe a leash to be able to watch him like a hawk.
Even if you donā€™t want to use the leash, I know some people donā€™t like this, but a spray bottle and put just water in it(spray bottle with water only will NOT hurt them, and itā€™s not mean), my dog was stubborn for house training and decided to pee in the house because he hated the rain, every time I caught him pee in the house, 1 spray with water and say ā€˜bad Pottyā€™ or ā€˜NOā€™ or ā€˜bad Peeā€™.

I tell my dog, go pee, and he goes on command almost immediately, they are smart, he will figure it out.

Peeing outside = treats, happy owner and praised

Peeing inside anywhere= spray of water only, no treats, and unhappy owner.

Thatā€™s my suggestion, however, you should have that spray bottle with you and be consistent when you watch him and see him pee in the house, spray him while he pees anywhere inside, then take him back outside to finish.
Spray of water does not hurt them and itā€™s not mean, however sometimes when they are stubborn, itā€™s very helpful if they donā€™t like water and itā€™s catches them off guard.

Keep us updated

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Some dogs just cannot have a bed, blanket , towel , any type of soft surface they will just pee on it try taking it away and see if it stops

Members online

No members online now.