Mal-A-Ket Wipes

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
Do you think these Mal-A-Ket wipes burn for the dogs?
my girl goes crazy after i wipe her face. she tries to wipe it off by running her face on the couch or carpet.
I found that it is the only thing that seems to work. the other chlorhexideine wipes and duoxo dont seem to keep her nose rope clean. almost everyday her nose rope is brown with gunk in it. she is on raw diet.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
It does sting a bit if thereā€™s somewhat of a redness sitting on the face or under the chin. I personally use fragrance free baby wipes n add either essential oil mix ā€œifā€ I see a rash but usually I just use Witch Hazel. More natural than them already done for you. Very cost efficient if you do it yourself.

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
Helsonwheels - where do you get your witch hazel from?
Benny - corn starch like from the grocery store?

what is your grooming process for the nose rope?

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
yep. Pick up a box of corn starch at your local grocery store and it will probably last you forever.

Clean the pocket gently and well. You can do that with your mal-a-ket or chlorhexidine or witch hazel or what have you.

Witch hazel should work well to sooth the itchiness.

Chlorhexidine is an antibacterial soap and also fairly cheap if you get a gallon of the veterinarian grade (my last gallon was $17 and will last several years). Make sure to be extra careful not to get it into the pupā€™s eyes or really any mucus membranes.

Once you get the area nice and clean then dry it really well.

The whole time, cleaning and drying, assume if the area is mucky that itā€™s going to not feel nice. This will feel like a bad diaper rash to them if the area has been infected or otherwise bad.

Once you get the area clean, apply corn starch. You can either take a pinch and try to finger it in there, or use a cotton pad, ball or qtip depending on the pocket (tail pockets likely require qtip to be able to get in there. Nose ropes you can likely use your finger or some cotton). The plan is to dust the area with the corn starch. Pretend you are applying blush or similar. Corn starch is hydrophobic and will work to keep the pocket dry.

If the pocket is fairly funky, you will notice the corn starch will take on a paste/glue type texture after it has sat in the area a while. Because of this be careful the next time you clean the area to gently soak it first which will loosen the muck without having to scrub it. (Remember we want to be gentle because the area is already quite irritated). Once the pocket is under control it wonā€™t gunk up and you probably wonā€™t even see any corn starch from your last application.

Do this a couple times a day while there is an issue. Then once the issue is under control (might take a couple of weeks) you can space it out until you find a schedule that works. Itā€™s not unheard of to have to powder the area every day.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Helsonwheels - where do you get your witch hazel from?
Benny - corn starch like from the grocery store?

what is your grooming process for the nose rope?
Witch hazel basically disinfect n keep areas clean. I buy it at Winners but in the USA yours is call TJ something. And @benny also has excellent points. I stated this often that for folds, itā€™s so important to keep them dry. As you know I feed my dogs a raw diet n these yeasty or brownish colours do disappear. Maintenance is the key on this breed n needs to be done on daily basis. Nyala doesnā€™t have big folds as sheā€™s a bantam bulldogge but Jake does. He had watery eyes which he had laser to remove 7 eyelashes which we couldnā€™t see. Watery or allergies will leak into the folds down to the chin n create funky smells.

Funny storyā€¦..Everyday Jake n I have a rendez-vous at the espresso machine. As soon as he hears the machine turned on he comes trotting, sits right below the machine n waits for his grooming. I know right lol.. I have napkins sitting at the machine to wipe the wand. So I figured itā€™s a good time while I wait for my coffee to wipe Jakeā€™s folds. Weā€™ve been doing this for 3yrs now. Jake comes n Im waiting with napkins in my hands.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I get witch Hazel at Target, CVS even the local grocery store Carrieā€™s it.

Members online

No members online now.