How to lose friends

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Turns out they are a lot of fun to give šŸ˜‚

We discovered a local pet supply store basically around the corner from us that has many of the food brands we couldnā€™t find before. So I may actually try out some other options: carna4, Earthborne, acana singles, Zignature (although I donā€™t like how they handled the DCM scare), and others. Canā€™t actually believe it, feels like maybe I dreamed it up but we have the minnows and a small bag of carna4 to prove it

Thatā€™s good.

Since the Acana quality will likely drop cause they got baught out, I would try the Carna 4 which is very good food, itā€™s oven baked and no synthetic vitamins(only whole food based) and itā€™s got probiotics in it! The best for sensitive dogs!

Do they have Natures Logic brand too?? Thatā€™s the next best if Carna 4 isnt a option.Natures logic is great for allergies too and also no synthetic vitamins and no legumes or potatoes making it great for inflammation and also hasnā€™t been recalled for DCM and no ingredients that are common in foods that caused DCM. Also it has probiotics in it too and minimal processed. Itā€™s the next best if Carna 4 isnā€™t a option!

So your gonna give some of these brands a try and get off the Purina??
That would be really Beneficial to her HealthšŸ‘šŸ™‚

OP
benny

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Do they have Natures Logic brand too??
Yeah they have pretty much every kibble brand mentioned on this forum. No N&D though.

So youā€™re gonna give some of these brands a try and get off the Purina??
That would be really Beneficial to her HealthšŸ‘šŸ™‚
We will see. She has done way better on ProPlan than Fromm and Orijen. Iā€™m a big fan of the ProPlan, but the main reason I never tried carna4 is I couldnā€™t source it locally. Now it is at two local stores. I noticed it has potato starch in it, Iā€™m half expecting tear stains but we will see. I only got a 5 lb bag.

OP
benny

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
The dogs also love the VE freeze dried chicken hearts. They creep me out knowing what they are but if the dogs like them, so be it!
My daughter wanted to get those but I passed, for the same reason

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
The dogs also love the VE freeze dried chicken hearts. They creep me out knowing what they are but if the dogs like them, so be it!

Rusty goes nuts for the free dried Duck Hearts, he LOVES them! But the pet store hasnā€™t been able to get them in for like 5 months, Rusty is not happy he isnā€™t getting the duck hearts!

The chicken hearts, I wanted to try, but since Chicken I avoid due to allergies, do you think he will be ok with chicken hearts? He is ā€˜possiblyā€™ we couldnā€™t guarantee the duck was the issue if he is allergic to Duck meat, but he was fine with duck hearts.

Are your dogs allergic to chicken? Can they still have chicken hearts?

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Yeah they have pretty much every kibble brand mentioned on this forum. No N&D though.

We will see. She has done way better on ProPlan than Fromm and Orijen. Iā€™m a big fan of the ProPlan, but the main reason I never tried carna4 is I couldnā€™t source it locally. Now it is at two local stores. I noticed it has potato starch in it, Iā€™m half expecting tear stains but we will see. I only got a 5 lb bag.

Well I would definitely try the Natures Logic or the Carna 4.

Your Purina has LOTS of grain and other fillers, which in my experience not only caused allergies for my dogs but also the tear stains.

The potato starch is what holds it together, buts itā€™s whole food based and no fillers.

See how she does with Carna 4, what protein did you get??

If Carna 4 doesnā€™t go as planned for tear stains, I would definitely try the natures Logic cause itā€™s legume and potato and starch free! It only uses millet, but isnā€™t actually considered a grain, but she gets lots of rice in her food so the millet is much better for her.
They have Sardine formulas, and Rabbit and pork and beef, lots to choose from and rotate thru!

OP
benny

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
See how she does with Carna 4, what protein did you get?
I got the easy-chew fish. Since Millie had skin problems before we switched to ProPlan, fish seemed the safest choice. If she does OK, I will cycle through lamb, goat and duck. I had planned on staying away from Venison, but our mentor's pups didn't do well on the venison and is planning on giving us a bag if the fish works out, so I suppose we will try it as well.

Millie has been very stable on the ProPlan. I haven't had a single issue in like nine months. ProPlan is accessible, and I don't have a problem with it. So, I will keep ProPlan in my back pocket since I know she does well on it and see if she can do better. With the finding of this store, I plan to try out some options I didn't have before and compare her skin, coat, energy, stools, etc.

I didn't give 4Star a good go last year because of the tear stains that appeared (it was my first choice - Vada did great on it), but it is by far the easiest to source (actually more accessible than ProPlan here). I'll check if Nature's Logic is at the stores in the area.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I got the easy-chew fish. Since Millie had skin problems before we switched to ProPlan, fish seemed the safest choice. If she does OK, I will cycle through lamb, goat and duck. I had planned on staying away from Venison, but our mentor's pups didn't do well on the venison and is planning on giving us a bag if the fish works out, so I suppose we will try it as well.

Millie has been very stable on the ProPlan. I haven't had a single issue in like nine months. ProPlan is accessible, and I don't have a problem with it. So, I will keep ProPlan in my back pocket since I know she does well on it and see if she can do better. With the finding of this store, I plan to try out some options I didn't have before and compare her skin, coat, energy, stools, etc.

I didn't give 4Star a good go last year because of the tear stains that appeared (it was my first choice - Vada did great on it), but it is by far the easiest to source (actually more accessible than ProPlan here). I'll check if Nature's Logic is at the stores in the area.
Yes I definitely would recommend seeing if she can do good or the same or better on a much better quality food than her current ProPlanšŸ‘

What is 4 star dog food? Havenā€™t heard if that brand.

Keep me updated on how she is doing with the Carna 4 fish, and itā€™s good to rotate the proteins like you mentioned your planning on doing.

try the Carna 4 and the Natures Logic before going back to Pro Plan, thatā€™s what I would došŸ™‚

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Rusty goes nuts for the free dried Duck Hearts, he LOVES them! But the pet store hasnā€™t been able to get them in for like 5 months, Rusty is not happy he isnā€™t getting the duck hearts!

The chicken hearts, I wanted to try, but since Chicken I avoid due to allergies, do you think he will be ok with chicken hearts? He is ā€˜possiblyā€™ we couldnā€™t guarantee the duck was the issue if he is allergic to Duck meat, but he was fine with duck hearts.

Are your dogs allergic to chicken? Can they still have chicken hearts?
Jax canā€™t have duck. For treats, I stick to treats everyone can to make it easy. They all do okay with chicken but Jax gets itchy if he eats it for his meals for more than 2 weeks so itā€™s in rotation for everyone short term. They all do fine with the chicken hearts.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Jax canā€™t have duck. For treats, I stick to treats everyone can to make it easy. They all do okay with chicken but Jax gets itchy if he eats it for his meals for more than 2 weeks so itā€™s in rotation for everyone short term. They all do fine with the chicken hearts.
Ok, so if Rusty is allergic to chicken, can he have chicken hearts?

For some reason I thought your dogs are allergic to chicken.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Ok, so if Rusty is allergic to chicken, can he have chicken hearts?

For some reason I thought your dogs are allergic to chicken.
All dogs are different as to what they can tolerate and how much. The only way to know if he can have chicken hearts would be to try them.

OP
benny

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
She hates the carna 4 fish . šŸ¤£

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
She hates the carna 4 fish . šŸ¤£

Thatā€™s crazy, she probably wants The purina type food like she has been getting, not the healthy stuff(Carna 4 for example).

Does the proplan salmon, does it smell like fish or no? Some dogs want the fishy smell(Carna 4 doesnā€™t really have a smell).

Maybe she will like the Natures Logic Sardine, thatā€™s the next best if Carna 4 doesnā€™t work, maybe try thatšŸ‘

Last edited:
OP
benny

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Youā€™ve really gotta lighten up on peopleā€™s choices of food. It comes across very pompous, and I am hoping that is not your intention.

Pro plan is not junk. I have a good baseline of a dog that was quite healthy on proplan, if there are no obvious improvements after this experiment I will be headed back there.

Sensitive skin salmon smells like a hint of salmon, similar to high quality salmon oil scent. it doesnā€™t smell fishy at all.

I picked up the duck and Millie seems to love it (spit out / ate around the fish pieces). So we will see how she does on it.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.