Help! 3rd Anal Gland Infection

otis2611

Mar 21, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
We have never owned an English Bulldog before. We have an adorable 2 year old 62 lb English bulldog who started having anal gland problems about 6 months ago. The first infection was detected at our pet groomers- our dog did not show any signs (no scooting). We were put on antiobiotics and it cleared. I started taking him to the vet to get expressed every few weeks. One week he would not let them do it - he was not in the mood. A week later we had another infection plus almost a rupture so were put on antiobotics and steroids. We went back to make sure it was cleared and it was. They told us to go back a month later which is today. We went this morning and we are back on medication due to another infection! I feel so hopeless. They mentioned surgery and I told them I wanted to try some other things before we just jump into surgery. I talked to a vet (not ours he was not in today) and she told me to potentially have him lose weight and change his dog food. She also mentioned to add bran cereal to his food. Has anyone experienced this before? What should I do? Is there any way to help stop the infections?
Thanks for any help!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Poor baby! What are you using to clean it and keep it dry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We have never owned an English Bulldog before. We have an adorable 2 year old 62 lb English bulldog who started having anal gland problems about 6 months ago. The first infection was detected at our pet groomers- our dog did not show any signs (no scooting). We were put on antiobiotics and it cleared. I started taking him to the vet to get expressed every few weeks. One week he would not let them do it - he was not in the mood. A week later we had another infection plus almost a rupture so were put on antiobotics and steroids. We went back to make sure it was cleared and it was. They told us to go back a month later which is today. We went this morning and we are back on medication due to another infection! I feel so hopeless. They mentioned surgery and I told them I wanted to try some other things before we just jump into surgery. I talked to a vet (not ours he was not in today) and she told me to potentially have him lose weight and change his dog food. She also mentioned to add bran cereal to his food. Has anyone experienced this before? What should I do? Is there any way to help stop the infections?
Thanks for any help!

I just went went throught this with my girl, wow what a mess Nd so painful for them. We can help!

how much does Otis weight? What are you feeding? And can you post a picture of him from above looking at his waist/back?

once we have this info we can give some pointers for you! [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]. And [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] have bullies that needs annals expressed regularly too and they can give advice on what helps them.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I just went went throught this with my girl, wow what a mess Nd so painful for them. We can help!

how much does Otis weight? What are you feeding? And can you post a picture of him from above looking at his waist/back?

once we have this info we can give some pointers for you! [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]. And [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] have bullies that needs annals expressed regularly too and they can give advice on what helps them.

Although I have had to have Vegas's glands expressed for over 4 years now, THANK GOD, he has never had an infection!! He lets me know on an average of every 5-7 weeks when he needs them done. He scoots his smelly bottom all over my area rug! :cursing: Quick trip to the vet tech ($17.00) to release them and he's good to go for another 5-7 weeks.

OP
O

otis2611

Mar 21, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
They did not tell me to clean it. It hasn't ruptured. He is only on Cephalexin the antibacteria medicine.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
They did not tell me to clean it. It hasn't ruptured. He is only on Cephalexin the antibacteria medicine.

usually when infected they leak.... nothing coming out his bumm at all?

OP
O

otis2611

Mar 21, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
He weighs 62 lb. He is currently eating Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul (the breeder had him on this). I never switched him because I was afraid of upsetting his stomach. The vet recommended Royal Canine? She thought a fish and potato food. I am not really sure what it means so I bought the bran cereal to see if that helps his stool get harder this weekend. Do you want a picture of his tail? I read sometimes an inverted tail can make it worse. I am not sure if he has one or not.

OP
O

otis2611

Mar 21, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
No leaking. We do wipe his bumm after he goes #2 .

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He weighs 62 lb. He is currently eating Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul (the breeder had him on this). I never switched him because I was afraid of upsetting his stomach. The vet recommended Royal Canine? She thought a fish and potato food. I am not really sure what it means so I bought the bran cereal to see if that helps his stool get harder this weekend. Do you want a picture of his tail? I read sometimes an inverted tail can make it worse. I am not sure if he has one or not.

yes, picture of the tail will help.

I know you already got the bran, but I would not do that.... do you have or can you get 100% pure canned pumpkin (not pie filling), one tablespoon in with his food will helps loosen his stool.
The two foods you mention are very low rated foods, 3 star or less. so might be good idea to look into something higher quaility. you will pay more, but feed less, and have less health issues.

does Otis have any other health issue you are addressing or is the anal gland it

@blueberry's mom.... can you help for a new food search once we get more info from Otis' mom?

OP
O

otis2611

Mar 21, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
yes, picture of the tail will help.

I know you already got the bran, but I would not do that.... do you have or can you get 100% pure canned pumpkin (not pie filling), one tablespoon in with his food will helps loosen his stool.
The two foods you mention are very low rated foods, 3 star or less. so might be good idea to look into something higher quaility. you will pay more, but feed less, and have less health issues.

does Otis have any other health issue you are addressing or is the anal gland it

@blueberry's mom.... can you help for a new food search once we get more info from Otis' mom?

Shouldn't I be trying to make the stool harder? He has soft stools now. I thought that making them harder helps to excrete the glands so they don't get infected. Any food help would be greatly appreciated!!
He is healthy other than the recent gland issue. We have not had any other issues.
tail.jpg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shouldn't I be trying to make the stool harder? He has soft stools now. I thought that making them harder helps to excrete the glands so they don't get infected. Any food help would be greatly appreciated!!
He is healthy other than the recent gland issue. We have not had any other issues.
View attachment 68268

very tight tail indeed.... have the vet said it is an issue or could be? CUTE Bully bum :up:

Pumpkin helps both ways... firm up and loosen. i will tag some other members to help with suggestions on the gland issue to se if they have advice.

Food-- some that many members have great results with are mostly the grain free lines of FROMM, Earthborn, Taste of the Wild, Nature Variety, Merrick,Avoderm, Orijen, Wellness CORE. Do you have preference as to where you have to buy and/or spend?

OP
O

otis2611

Mar 21, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
They have not said anything about his tail. The vets we go to are supposed to be bulldog experts but I am thinking about getting a second opinion. I am not liking what we have dealt with so far on this issue. I will try the pumpkin and get some tomorrow. We currently go to a pet store close that carries a lot of natural products. I will take the list and see what they have. How do I go about switching his food without further causing drama? Should I start mixing it with his regular food? How long? Thank you so much for helping us!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
They have not said anything about his tail. The vets we go to are supposed to be bulldog experts but I am thinking about getting a second opinion. I am not liking what we have dealt with so far on this issue. I will try the pumpkin and get some tomorrow. We currently go to a pet store close that carries a lot of natural products. I will take the list and see what they have. How do I go about switching his food without further causing drama? Should I start mixing it with his regular food? How long? Thank you so much for helping us!

TOTALLY get a second opinion, where are you located, we may have a vet on our member recommend list.

Switch is slow over 10 days or so.... 1/4 cup new rest old for 3 or 4 days, then 1/2 and 1/2 for 3 or 4 days, then 3/4 new and 1/4 old for 3 or 4 days... then all new.

No problem... it is why we are all here -- share the experience and help those in need of education, support, etc.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm so sorry I meant what do you clean around his tail with, and could it possibly be a tail pocket infection rather than an anal glad infection? His tail is pretty cute, curly and tight.... Would likely need regular cleanings.

Yes firm poo helps clear anal glands naturally. :up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
O

otis2611

Mar 21, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Gosh we do not clean his tail regularly. We take him for a spa bath once a month for a cleaning. They focus on it breed specific so I know his tail gets cleaned then. How often should I be cleaning it? How do you do it? What do I do it with?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.