Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
The Tobra could certainly be causing burn/irritation and essentially preventing the healing. Maybe your Vet can prescribe an alternate antibiotic and artificial tear compound.

I have no idea how "new" this medication is as the article was not dated...but it sounds interesting.
Ask your Vet about it.

"The newest medical therapy for corneal ulcers is Adequan Eye Drops (Rx) mixed with artificial tears to create a solution that is 5% polysulfated glycosaminoglycans (PSGAG). In a recent test, the solution, applied three times a day, improved non-healing corneal ulcers in 85% of the pets treated."

OP
R

Ricothebully

Dec 29, 2021
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Rico
hi everyone, just wanted to update you on Rico. Iā€™m sorry I took this long. Iā€™ve been so busy. Rico went back to the vet when I didnā€™t see any changes with the antibiotic eye drop and they said it was an indolent ulcer on his eye, meaning it wasnā€™t healing. So they did surgery on his eye on the 25th of April. They scratched the surface of his eye to encourage healing, and stitched the eyelid closed for 14 days. They left a small opening for me to continue putting in the antibiotic drops. I also started putting in some Optixcare lubricant drops in both eyes. So fast forward to today, the stitches were removed and the ulcer healed up. He has some cloudiness on the eye but itā€™s fading away and almost completely gone. I have never been so worried and stressed. I am so thankful for all of your prayers and positive thoughts for my boy. I am so relieved he is healed. It was a tough time but we got through it. Thanks again.

KillRbee18

Sep 6, 2023
Port Orchard WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny / Gun-guns
hi everyone, just wanted to update you on Rico. Iā€™m sorry I took this long. Iā€™ve been so busy. Rico went back to the vet when I didnā€™t see any changes with the antibiotic eye drop and they said it was an indolent ulcer on his eye, meaning it wasnā€™t healing. So they did surgery on his eye on the 25th of April. They scratched the surface of his eye to encourage healing, and stitched the eyelid closed for 14 days. They left a small opening for me to continue putting in the antibiotic drops. I also started putting in some Optixcare lubricant drops in both eyes. So fast forward to today, the stitches were removed and the ulcer healed up. He has some cloudiness on the eye but itā€™s fading away and almost completely gone. I have never been so worried and stressed. I am so thankful for all of your prayers and positive thoughts for my boy. I am so relieved he is healed. It was a tough time but we got through it. Thanks again.
I know this post is so late ā€” but I am glad to read that there was a happy ending! Yay for Rico!

Karen100

Apr 14, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie,Taylor,Gatsby
Hi Iā€™m really going through it over here. So about 2 weeks ago I heard Rico paw his left eye in the middle of the night and it was red and the third eyelid raised. I contacted the vet right away and they didnā€™t see any scratches and suggested he had Hornerā€™s syndrome. We came home and it seemed to improve, he was only squinting in the evening a bit and the third eyelid wasnā€™t as raised as before. Then a few days later it seemed to take a turn. The eye looked red again, more squinting and the third eyelid was still visible. I took him back to the vet on Wednesday and they said they would have to sedate him to look at his eye as he was not letting them touch it, he was being snappy. He has always been this way at the vet. I was so worried about sedation but felt I had to check his eye. So they sedated him, did a stain test and pressure test in both eyes. They also gave his ears a good flush or cleaning. They said there was a tiny ulcer on the left eye, the size of a pin needle and that it should heal on its own because it was so tiny. When I picked him up he was really drowsy and both eyes were red and running with dye. He still opened them tho. He had a terrible night crying and he wasnā€™t peeing normally. He didnā€™t eat or drink until the next morning. Then I noticed the left eye, the one that had the original problem wasnā€™t even opening anymore, and now the right eye had a raised third eyelid and was squinting. He also began having issues peeing. He would stand to pee for a long time with nothing coming out and when it finally did it was dribbling. I donā€™t know if he is having an adverse reaction or what. I am devastated. I am so scared for him. Iā€™m scared he will go blind or lose his eyes. Please pray for him. I feel like Iā€™m losing it over here, and Iā€™m blaming myself for taking him to the vet and sedating him when it wasnā€™t that bad. He went in with the left eye slightly squinting on and off and now both eyes are closed, with the right only slightly opening and red.
My Harper had the same problem the vet tried for months to help her the eye problems continued, I know how you feel. I don't know where you live but we took her to the Toronto eye clinic she had two Lazer surgery to remove hairs that the vet could not see. I wish I had taken her earlier. Vets try but your bully need an eye clinic. Harper is great now .

Members online

No members online now.