Change Feeding Frequency

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
I recently changed how frequently I fed my dog from 3 times a day to 2 times a day because my schedule changed. I noticed she is gagging and sometimes even throws up. Is this normal for her to get used to change in feed or do i need to go back to 3 times a day?

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I recently changed how frequently I fed my dog from 3 times a day to 2 times a day because my schedule changed. I noticed she is gagging and sometimes even throws up. Is this normal for her to get used to change in feed or do i need to go back to 3 times a day?

I would go back to 3 times a day to feed her.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Yes, this is normal. Dogs produce bile in anticipation of food when they are fed on a clock-work type schedule (which is why I don't feed my dogs that way). When they don't get the food as they expect, they gag out the bile.

bambinogino

Aug 22, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gino Antonio Monclova
I've never heard of dogs "producing bile in anticipation of food" when they're fed on a schedule, I've also never heard of dogs gagging out the bile, that seems like something more severe and I don't know if dogs can get acid reflux. As far as I know dogs, and people always have bile in their stomachs. It's used to digest food. If you're bulldog is throwing up food after eating it could be because she's eating too fast or she's possibly having an allergic reaction to the food. Like people dogs can become intolerant to certain foods. I would add some pumpkin to the dogs food and see if thay helps her digest the food and calm her stomach.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I've never heard of dogs "producing bile in anticipation of food" when they're fed on a schedule, I've also never heard of dogs gagging out the bile, that seems like something more severe and I don't know if dogs can get acid reflux. As far as I know dogs, and people always have bile in their stomachs. It's used to digest food. If you're bulldog is throwing up food after eating it could be because she's eating too fast or she's possibly having an allergic reaction to the food. Like people dogs can become intolerant to certain foods. I would add some pumpkin to the dogs food and see if thay helps her digest the food and calm her stomach.
You have a lot more to learn about dogs. 😉

Lots if this type of info you get from the raw-feeding crowd, especially the PMR ones. A lot of them do fast/gorge periods.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Dogs will sometimes get what is also known as the "hunger pukes" if they have an empty stomach and will throw up bile. It is actually quite common. Normally not feeding at the same time every day can help with that as does treats between meals or before bedtime.

And yes, dogs can get acid reflux. Louie dealt with it in December and in January.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
A
Agreed… it is not uncommon, it is empty belly syndrome. Are you still feeding the same amount in the two feedings? If yes, she will adjust. so e believe the best way is to only feed once a day, but two seems to be the most commonly agreed upon

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
If we sleep in on weekends for more than an hour, every so often one of our guys will puke up a puddle of bile. It's not uncommon at all and nothing to be concerned about.

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
i spoke too soon - this morning, 5 hours after she ate breakfast, she was gagging and sounded like dry heaving.
will give it maybe another week or so. thanks all

Members online

No members online now.