Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I have a routine with daily grooming but brushing teeth is suppose to be a weekly event but I must admit I'm a little lacking on this ... well Alex my son was messing with Diesel's lips because they are floppy and we both think its fun to play with them ... well Diesel has a canine tooth that is discolored! I went to the store yesterday to get toothpaste because I was out but wanted to know what everyone else uses ... there are a lot of choices out there and would like some advice on bulldog dental care.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Funny you just posted this b/c today I bought the Nylabone Dental Kit for my boys; comes w/toothbrush, toothpaste, and a finger-brush thingy. I rubbed some paste on them tonight and they seemed okay w/it. I've never brushed their teeth b4 this so i have little experience to share.

KaidasMom

Jun 25, 2012
Anchorage, AK
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kaida
We tried this out to brush Kaida's teeth with and she thinks she's getting a treat, so it makes dental care easy. Smells good too!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I use the arm and hammer dental kit on our guys , but any brush will do, and you don't necessarily need anything but water, it's the brushing action that's cleans the teeth, not the paste. Paste just gives a taste, so the dog may let you do it more with a beef or chicken flavoured paste. It's the same for people , the toothbrush is what cleans our teeth , but the paste gives us fresh breath, and a nice flavour. Water and brushing, or water and baking soda would also do the job.

OP
bulldogs4me

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I've been up til now been using Dental Wipes and I'm thinking they are just not doing a good enough job so I got some new Nylabone Finger Brushes and some Arm & Hammer Advanced Pet Care Toothpaste ... so I am hoping that will do the trick.

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Chance's dad HATES brushing his teeth so I do all of the tooth stuff. All of the toothpastes we have are beef, chicken, PB or liver scented and that smell doesn't come off your hands for a day. (You can't avoid getting it ON your hands, either, since bullies have so much lip/cheek.) :p

We have tried the brushes made for dogs, the finger brushes, the regular brushes all with the aforementioned toothpaste(s). We've tried human toothbrushes with water (or doggy toothpaste). We've tried a baking soda paste (which honestly worked quite well) on a damp rag. We've tried water additives. You name it, we've done it.

What I found worked best was using some of those teeth cleaning toys with a bit of the toothpaste on it. Dogs clean their teeth best from chewing so either those toys or harder toys (like antlers) helped keep the teeth clean. When I give him a treat with soft stuff (like pumpkin or PB) that's when I know he will need his teeth cleaned a lot.

My absolute favourite product right now is Tropiclean Teeth Gel. We used it every other day for about a week and almost all of his staining and plaque disappeared. You can actually use it every day. Just coat the teeth with the gel and make sure your dog isn't eating or drinking for half an hour before or after application. After the staining is gone, just use it once a week for maintenance. It smells like mint so his breath smells amazing afterward and he doesn't have dirty doggy mouth smell for a few days (then we reapply). The company has water additives and tooth cleaning kits but we haven't tried them. In the interest of full disclosure, we did hear of one person whose dog had sores on his gums after using it. Not entirely sure whether it was caused by the gel or coincidence. We haven't had any problems.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
When is a good age to start them off with brushing?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks for starting this thread - I just vowed to start doing my bullies' teeth since they don't chew enough in their older age to really clean their teeth! Great info.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.