Bovine Colostrum

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
I started my dog on bovine colostrum. She takes it 30 mins before her meal. She has had it for 3 days now and she itches quite a bit from it which usually means she is allergic to it. Do I need to give it more time or should we stop? I have not given her anything else out of the ordinary to eat.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I started my dog on bovine colostrum. She takes it 30 mins before her meal. She has had it for 3 days now and she itches quite a bit from it which usually means she is allergic to it. Do I need to give it more time or should we stop? I have not given her anything else out of the ordinary to eat.

I havenā€™t ever heard of a dog being allergic to bovine colostrum.
I know many people who have dogs allergic to beef, but they arenā€™t allergic to bovine colostrum and it works very well.

My dogā€™s allergies have flared up recently due to the salt on the road, and the flowers in bloom and something on the grass(I forget the name of it).
The weather and itā€™s almost spring time, I would expect allergies to get worse for dogs with environmental allergies.

I would recommend keeping her on the bovine colostrum, are you giving the full recommend amount? Also is it Four Leaf Rover brand?? Some bovine colostrum supplements have other ingredients, the only brand of bovine colostrum I give my dogs is Four Leaf Rover.

Maybe give it more time and see how she does. Usually 1-2 weeks or max is 3-4 weeks to see difference(every dog is different for how fast it works).

Keep me updated.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
IMO, go with the scientific method:
Stop giving it for a week and monitor her itching.
If she doesn't stop itching, it's likely something else.
If she stops, give it again next week and see if the itching returns.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
IMO, go with the scientific method:
Stop giving it for a week and monitor her itching.
If she doesn't stop itching, it's likely something else.
If she stops, give it again next week and see if the itching returns.
I agree with this! That will help tell you if it's the bovine colostrum or something else.

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
Yes, I am using Four Leaf Rover. I give her as much as the package says. She is 45 pounds, so I give her 1/8 teaspoon daily, 30 minutes before dinner.
She is allergic to dairy, and I read that some dogs with diary allergies are also allergic to bovine colostrum. What do you think?

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Yes, I am using Four Leaf Rover. I give her as much as the package says. She is 45 pounds, so I give her 1/8 teaspoon daily, 30 minutes before dinner.
She is allergic to dairy, and I read that some dogs with diary allergies are also allergic to bovine colostrum. What do you think?

My dog with the most severe allergies is allergic to all dairy including Goats milk, and the bovine colostrum is the 1 supplement that has made a huge difference that he is not allergic to(why he was hard to find cause he is allergic to everything!), I also did ask the company that makes it before I first tried him on the colostrum, and they said most dogs that are allergic to dairy arenā€™t allergic to bovine colostrum, cause colostrum so different and is actually for sensitive dogs with allergies.

Every dog is different though.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
As stated above, stop giving it for a week to see if you notice any change and then add it back in. Just because it works for some dogs doesn't mean it will work for all dogs. Trial and error.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
As stated above, stop giving it for a week to see if you notice any change and then add it back in. Just because it works for some dogs doesn't mean it will work for all dogs. Trial and error.

Yes exactly, every dog is different. I always say itā€™s trial and error to find what works. It took me 2 YEARS to figure out what works for Rusty!

My other dog, we have tried literally Everything! Even cytopoint, Apoquel, and many others(which was the last resort for us), the raw diet really helps but also with the bovine colostrum she is 90% itch-free however, she has a habit of scratching her ears and head shaking(she has done that all her life for allergies, and itā€™s now a habit), her ears look 100% normal inside, but she recently got a GIANT ear hematoma which took 5 vet visits to drain it without sedating her(she has Cancer and kidney disease), so sedation is not a option as the vet said she likely wouldnā€™t wake up from it. She is the best she has ever been for allergies, no yeasty ears, no chewing paws raw needing the cone of shame.
However, the raw food, bovine colostrum, Immunity mushrooms and CBD oil have improved her quality of life and she has already lasted longer than the vet thought, due to the severity of her cancer. The raw diet is also starving the cancer too which helps.

What worked for Rusty may not work for every dog,BUT it doesnā€™t hurt to try for trial and error.

So the raw diet and the bovine colostrum have helped all my dogs, I donā€™t expect them to be perfect and no allergy flares, but at least they are comfortable and very minimal flare ups.

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
I am pretty certain she is allergic to the bovine colostrum. She is itching so bad, her eyes are swelled up. She does not have seasonal allergies either. Iā€™ve read quite a few articles that say dogs with dairy allergies can be allergic to bovine colostrum.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I am pretty certain she is allergic to the bovine colostrum. She is itching so bad, her eyes are swelled up. She does not have seasonal allergies either. Iā€™ve read quite a few articles that say dogs with dairy allergies can be allergic to bovine colostrum.

Thatā€™s interesting, havenā€™t heard of that. All dogs are different though.

Did you stop the colostrum supplement??

Members online

No members online now.