BOAS surgery

bulldog1989

Sep 4, 2022
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Vinny
Hello

Just wondering if anyone had any advise on how BOAS Surgery has benefited their bulldog? Breathing wise and snoring? Our bulldog can only walk about 15 mins at a time currently before really harsh rattling/croaky breathing, he could walk about 40 mins previously and be just fine. He also has excessive snoring. We are at the vet next week to discuss about his breathing and if he requires the soft plate surgery. Just wondering who has had this done and does it make a huge difference?

Thanks

ZeldasMom

Nov 3, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zelda
Hello

Just wondering if anyone had any advise on how BOAS Surgery has benefited their bulldog? Breathing wise and snoring? Our bulldog can only walk about 15 mins at a time currently before really harsh rattling/croaky breathing, he could walk about 40 mins previously and be just fine. He also has excessive snoring. We are at the vet next week to discuss about his breathing and if he requires the soft plate surgery. Just wondering who has had this done and does it make a huge difference?

Thanks
Hi - We are about to have this done for our girl too. Both her nose (nares) and soft palate. If you're hearing that noise then it's definitely needed! My girl's isn't that bad as she can walk 2 miles no problem. But she gets so excited around people and I'll hear a slight clicking noise when she breathes. Her nostrils definitely need widened. From what I've read, you see results immediately. They might still snore - but overall breathing in dramatically improved. And less strain on their organs from trying to get air in. Good luck!!

OP
B

bulldog1989

Sep 4, 2022
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Vinny
Hi - We are about to have this done for our girl too. Both her nose (nares) and soft palate. If you're hearing that noise then it's definitely needed! My girl's isn't that bad as she can walk 2 miles no problem. But she gets so excited around people and I'll hear a slight clicking noise when she breathes. Her nostrils definitely need widened. From what I've read, you see results immediately. They might still snore - but overall breathing in dramatically improved. And less strain on their organs from trying to get air in. Good luck!!
Yeah it was very scary walking him the other day he sounded terrible. A walk heā€™s done a million times and he just canā€™t seem to handle it anymore! Iā€™m hoping it may improve his snoring also as he seems to have become seriously loud these days šŸ˜‚ Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s started getting louder since heā€™s struggled to walk as far.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
It can make a HUGE difference. I believe that a Bulldog that needs this surgery can have their life extended by years by getting it done.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Most important thing is to ensure you have an experienced bulldog vet handling the procedure.... the procedure can be a blessing for a lot of bulldogs. Two of my four had it done and it was a night/day difference in breathing for them

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Yes my dog couldnā€™t go for a 5 minute walk or even play with my other dogs for 5 minutes, he didnā€™t make that noise though, but the soft palate was FULLY blocking his airway and getting stuck, he had all the other symptoms other than the clicking noise.

He did snore VERY loud which he normally doesnā€™t snore, rarely and if he does I can barely hear it.

He was choking/gagging so much that was from the palate.

He had his nostrils opened more, Soft palate done and the everted largnal saccules done too.

The most important is getting a board certified vet that has experience with this surgery and thatā€™s also familiar with bulldogs and the anesthesia.

I would get it done if it needs to be done, cause the louder they are the worse the breathing is. Also my vet told me if I wait too long it can cause trachea collapse.

The recovery our vet said to do is:

Soft foods for 2-3 weeks after surgery so no foods gets stuck in the palate while itā€™s healing. No playing for 4 weeks minimum.

It was one of the best things I have done for my dog, the difference in the breathing was incredible, almost immediately I noticed no more snoring, no more choking/gagging, he can go for the usual walks without breathing heavy after 5 minutes, he can race around the house and play with my other dogs(he actually is racing around the house as Iā€™m writing this), he raced around no problems breathing and no overheating either,which he did when he tried to play with my other dogs in the house for 2 minutes.

I highly recommend getting it done, he will feel so much better and be able to breathe!

Keep us updated

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
I had this done on both my babies. It helped tremendously!!! They breathe easy now and we had no complications or issues after the surgeries at all. Mine do still snore but nowhere near the way they did. To be honest, i love their little snores, i can't sleep without hearing it. (before though, they were tearing the house down with snoring)

It sounds like your baby does need this surgery. Just ensure you are informed and make sure you are having this done somewhere that is familiar with the breed and has done many of these procedures on the breed..

Keep us informed of how things go and when it's over.

OP
B

bulldog1989

Sep 4, 2022
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Vinny
Thank you! We were at the vets last night and she advised he would benefit from it for his over all quality of life. So looking at getting it booked in for him. Heā€™s almost 3 she said breathing can get worse with age probably why we have noticed it more in the last couple of months!