Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I cant even count how many times i was chasing my dogs
who had something in their mouths they shouldn't have - be it my bra or worse something they can get seriously hurt around the room running like a mad woman screaming drop it drop it - is it just me? if not i hope this handy guide will help you -Not to be like me :no:

before we learn command "drop it " i wanted to give you all some tips: (i will post this in every blog post before actual command )
1) if your bully is food orientated you are in a luck !
2) if your bully does is not food orientated -dont panic ,buy a toy , and use it only for training as a reward - its is dead simple to teach your fur baby to love and be crazy about his new toy - simply wave the ball (or another object) in from of your dog face with a supper cheerful and equally silly voice say " do you want it? " "uuu look at this" etc etc after a while your bully should show great intrest in the toy , when command is performed correctly give this toy play a little tug with your bully-stay very cheerful ,after a minute or two-remove the toy -this will be his reward and only given when you be training
3)start from high value treats before using their regular food -and on the end just give a praise and dont forget to adjust your dog food intake accordingly to the amount of treats given .Least you want is an overweight bully after few months of training -Trust me ive been there and done that -to pie on few pounds is easier than to lose it ;)
4) start your training in a calm environment with as little distractions as possible and when your bully fully got it , increase the amount of distractions for instance backyard , or when your friends are around - do this gradually and over time you bully will have great focus just on you
5) work through play , keep it short but do it often - this will also help to prevent your bully getting bored ,but also it will build a great bond between both of you x
6) no mater how well or bad your bully performed always end on a positive note - this supposed to be fun for him/her and you -not a chore
7)even if your bully cannot do something -dont get stressed or agitated -they can sense it ,give them time and patience -we all know that our babies are not the brightest sparks :p

4u8mcj.jpg

So lets get back to business

trust me its easy!

1 - the most effective and easiest way i found in teaching and reinforcing command "drop it" is exchange - you got something i want but i got something better that you will love ( yes! tasty treats - if your dog is nit dropping it - find something super tasty)

use a toy that your dog isnt as crazy on (in my case anything but tennis balls) and start playing with your dog to make him/her interested in the toy -making sure he/she will hold the toy in his/hers mouth

3 Once your bully hold the toy firmly give command "Drop It" does this tell him "Drop It" and offer him/her the treat as soon as he.she drop the toy offer the treat and give loads of praise

repeat this 3 steps few times to make sure your bully knows what and why he/she is doing it - it will take time but it is definitely worth it- plus both of you will bond through play , increase level of difficulty - from least liked toys to the ones your bully is most crazy about x
(for defies replace command "drop it " with a sign language , praise with thumbs up and a biggest smile you got
2zrmb2u.jpg

Attachments

• 644341_10152090651104621_1632027402_n.jpg
    644341_10152090651104621_1632027402_n.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 398

Redsmom

Aug 17, 2013
Pleasanton, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shakespeare
Thanks! I will start working on this tonight! We definately need this! Any tips on teaching him to stay?

chopkins

Nov 15, 2013
Chicago, IL
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ernie
Thanks, however, do you think this will work on a 4 yo? He is great at fetching his ball and giving it back to me, however, after 4-5 throws, he wants to play keep away and won't return the ball until we have dinner.

Charlie & Ernie (bully) :-)

Avito

Oct 10, 2014
Country
Mexico
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
yeahh I tried like chopkins and she does the same she do it like 2 or 3 times then goes has far away has she can and play by herself or just bite it till its useless....

Violet

Jan 28, 2015
uk
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Chopper
He brings the ball but won't part with it he doesn't drop it for us lol

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.