Paws On Sides

X-Men Dad

Sep 29, 2023
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus and Beast
Hi all,

I just took my 3 month old puppy to the Vet for his first exam after coming into my home. The Vet had a lot of concerns about his paws and how he appears to be putting weight on the side of each pad. I have tried to take a picture so you can see what I am referring to.

I have searched the forum and google and am not coming up with much. The Vet also did not have a medical term for it and her assistant used Google to determine it was “splaying” of the paws. Anyway, the Vet said this could impact his quality of life later on and he will be at risk of arthritis.

Has anyone else experienced this with their pup? Is there anything I can do to help with the issue? It seemed as though they didn’t know what the issue was for sure and I’m willing to do whatever I can to prevent him having long-term problems.

I appreciate any help!

Attachments

• IMG_7150.jpeg
    IMG_7150.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7154.jpeg
    IMG_7154.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
I am having a difficult time seeing what you are referring to in the photos. Can you post some full body picts that you believe highlight the issue?

Splayed feet mean the toes are splayed outward, away from each other. From my vantage point those don't look splayed, and I'm trying to determine from the description and the photos what it is they are referring to. The dog certainly should be putting weight down onto the pads, not onto the sides.

Here is a drawing of splayed feet from the BCA illustrated guide. Would you describe what is happening as "pushed apart"?
1696022478539.png

OP
X-Men Dad

X-Men Dad

Sep 29, 2023
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus and Beast
Hi. Thanks for your reply! I guess I don’t think I would describe them as splayed. They are just curved which is causing him to walk on the sides of his paws. I have attached another picture which I hope is helpful. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7205.jpeg
    IMG_7205.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 24

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have no experience with this, but would recommend using turmeric paste to help with arthritis and joints.

I posted Helene's recipe that she shares... @helsonwheels

Attachments

• turmeric paste.jpeg
    turmeric paste.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 9

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
It is a little worrisome that the Vet couldn't come up with a diagnosis and the tech found something on google that they immediately accepted…

The latest image looks like what happens when nails are way too long. Could it be possible that his nails were kept very long for his first 3 months? They look good in these photos

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Was his paws always like this or just recently became like this? If it were me, I’d probably take him to a different vet for a second opinion. Do you have any Bulldog knowledgeable vets in your area?

OP
X-Men Dad

X-Men Dad

Sep 29, 2023
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus and Beast
Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes, I was really bothered by the whole “Google search” thing. They advised me to start giving him chews for his joints but I really wanted some guidance on how to correct or improve his feet. I don’t know of any Vets who specialize in bulldogs here but will probably take him somewhere else to get another opinion.

I went back and viewed some videos of him before he was in my home and it appears this was going on before he came to me. Since he’s only 3 months old I’m hoping I can do something to improve them. That appointment just left me feeling like he is going to have a very poor quality of life and that there is nothing I can do to change it. Fingers crossed I have better luck with another Vet!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes, I was really bothered by the whole “Google search” thing. They advised me to start giving him chews for his joints but I really wanted some guidance on how to correct or improve his feet. I don’t know of any Vets who specialize in bulldogs here but will probably take him somewhere else to get another opinion.

I went back and viewed some videos of him before he was in my home and it appears this was going on before he came to me. Since he’s only 3 months old I’m hoping I can do something to improve them. That appointment just left me feeling like he is going to have a very poor quality of life and that there is nothing I can do to change it. Fingers crossed I have better luck with another Vet!
What area of states are you in.... there may be a member that can recommend a vet near you. Worth a try

OP
X-Men Dad

X-Men Dad

Sep 29, 2023
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus and Beast
I am in the Kansas City area if anyone knows of one. Thanks!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Are any of these close to you.... I found them fdoing a search on here:

Howdershell Animal Clinic
Dr. William Wright
Florissant, MO 63031
314-838-3575

Carlson Pet Hospital
311 West Sunshine
Springfield, Missouri
417-831-2666

Platte Woods Animal Hospital
Dr Armstrong
5901 NW 72nd
St, Kansas City, MO 64151

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
I would agree with the thought of long toenails. Looks like my bulldog when I got him at 1 1/2 yrs old. You might want to start trimming them a little bit, using a Dremel, at least once a week until you can work the quick down and the nails are "stubby". Just a thought.

OP
X-Men Dad

X-Men Dad

Sep 29, 2023
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus and Beast
Thanks to both of you! I will stay on top of his nails. I will also reach out to Dr. Armstrong. Appreciate it!!

Members online

No members online now.