Laser Therapy vs TPLO surgery

May 9, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Hello, I've learned so much from this group...it's a wonderful forum! I wanted to ask about TPLO surgery vs laser therapy vs. other options?? My boy (Duke - 2.5 years old) was diagnosed with torn CCL ligament and our vet consulted an orthopedic surgeon (after xray) and they recommended TPLO surgery. I am just starting my research/educational journey and wanted to see if anyone has experienced laser therpay? I'm not ruling out the TPLO surgery option but wanted to explore all options. Any feedback/comments are appreciated, thank you in advance.

1673467709630.png

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hello, I've learned so much from this group...it's a wonderful forum! I wanted to ask about TPLO surgery vs laser therapy vs. other options?? My boy (Duke - 2.5 years old) was diagnosed with torn CCL ligament and our vet consulted an orthopedic surgeon (after xray) and they recommended TPLO surgery. I am just starting my research/educational journey and wanted to see if anyone has experienced laser therpay? I'm not ruling out the TPLO surgery option but wanted to explore all options. Any feedback/comments are appreciated, thank you in advance.

View attachment 123900

Duke is cute!

My French Bulldog has been getting Laser therapy since September/ October, and it has really helped.
Some vets do it, but I know a lady that does it and she is a mobile service and actually comes to to your house so the dog is more comfortable.

My dog is nervous around new people, but he loves it and he sleeps during the session, and also tries to play with her.

A few people I know, they all had a dog with torn CCL and one of those dogs couldnā€™t do surgery, all of them did the laser therapy and the dog is running around on all 4 legs.

My dog gets it for IVDD to maintain his spine and she does all his legs too every session. Also when my dog had a severe ear infection and was really red and irritated, she did the laser therapy on his ears too where they were crusty and red/irritated, and it helped and made him more comfortable.

We have it done 1 day per month for maintenance, but depending on the problem, you do 2 days per week, then 1 day per week, then 1 day every other week, and then try to work up to 1 day per month, depending on how well the dog is doing.

Someone else I know, she has a dog who 100% could NOT get up and barely able to lift her head up, they were gonna put her down and the laser therapy was the last thing they tried before resorting to say good bye, and after 4 sessions, the dog is running around.

Every dog is different though, but I would definitely try it before resorting to surgery.

Just sharing my experience and the other personā€™s experience with the laser therapy.

Keep us updated.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Also the other thing I would recommend you do is give a Green Lipped Mussel Supplement(freeze dried green lipped mussel powder) OR Four Leaf Rover brand Safe Sea product cause itā€™s green lipped mussel oil.

The green lipped mussels treated my other dog that had arthritis, itā€™s non existent now. And itā€™s a whole food source of Glucosamine, chondroitin, magnesium, zinc and other joint supporting foods. So itā€™s absorbed way better and more effective than synthetic glucosamine and the rest I listed.

OP
dukebulldog303
May 9, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Duke is cute!

My French Bulldog has been getting Laser therapy since September/ October, and it has really helped.
Some vets do it, but I know a lady that does it and she is a mobile service and actually comes to to your house so the dog is more comfortable.

My dog is nervous around new people, but he loves it and he sleeps during the session, and also tries to play with her.

A few people I know, they all had a dog with torn CCL and one of those dogs couldnā€™t do surgery, all of them did the laser therapy and the dog is running around on all 4 legs.

My dog gets it for IVDD to maintain his spine and she does all his legs too every session. Also when my dog had a severe ear infection and was really red and irritated, she did the laser therapy on his ears too where they were crusty and red/irritated, and it helped and made him more comfortable.

We have it done 1 day per month for maintenance, but depending on the problem, you do 2 days per week, then 1 day per week, then 1 day every other week, and then try to work up to 1 day per month, depending on how well the dog is doing.

Someone else I know, she has a dog who 100% could NOT get up and barely able to lift her head up, they were gonna put her down and the laser therapy was the last thing they tried before resorting to say good bye, and after 4 sessions, the dog is running around.

Every dog is different though, but I would definitely try it before resorting to surgery.

Just sharing my experience and the other personā€™s experience with the laser therapy.

Keep us updated.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience!! This is why I find this group / website to be so helpful. We live near Denver and I found a practice pricing laser therapy, acupuncture and other rehabilitation services so Iā€™m going to see if we can see them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

View attachment 123900
We have done laser therapy on our bulldogs for many years for different reasons... none were for knee. Our Frenchie (Cheli) gets his back done once a month and our bulldog gets his hips done once a month. We definitely see a difference in their movement if we miss a treatment or are late to get it done

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
We have done laser therapy on our bulldogs for many years for different reasons... none were for knee. Our Frenchie (Cheli) gets his back done once a month and our bulldog gets his hips done once a month. We definitely see a difference in their movement if we miss a treatment or are late to get it done

What do you notice if they need it sooner?
Do you find they need it more when itā€™s cold weather?

Rusty seemed like he needed it sooner this time.

OP
dukebulldog303
May 9, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
We have done laser therapy on our bulldogs for many years for different reasons... none were for knee. Our Frenchie (Cheli) gets his back done once a month and our bulldog gets his hips done once a month. We definitely see a difference in their movement if we miss a treatment or are late to get it
Thank you for sharing your experience! Iā€™mgoing to find out more about laser therapy for Duke.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What do you notice if they need it sooner?
Do you find they need it more when itā€™s cold weather?

Rusty seemed like he needed it sooner this time.
Sorry for delay --- he slows down, won't play, and pants more often than normal

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Duke sure is a cutie!! I did respond in the other thread but wanted to drop a note in here as well.
If i were you, i would definitely try the laser therapy first and utilize the surgery route if it is absolutely necessary.
Granted, my situation was and is a little different because her knee has no groove and is luxated (permanantly out) and has a torn ACL. But with what she went through after this last surgery I do not want to put her through it again. If the laser can help and she can manage that is what I am opting to do.

Knowing what i know now, i would and will always utilize every natural non invasive treatment available before jumping to any surgery. (unless there is an obstruction of course)

I am sure you will make the right choice. You are right, this is a great forum full of amazing people with so much knowledge to share. We are glad you are here and we are happy to support as you figure your way through this. I'm sure you are going to get a lot of great feedback.

OP
dukebulldog303
May 9, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Duke is cute!

Keep us updated.
Do they get a little sore after laser treatment? Duke had his first laser session today and also did under water treadmill for about 5 minutes as part of his first PT session. I noticed his leg seemed more sore tonight. My guess is that should go away in 24-48 hours but I was just curious since he just had his first session.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Do they get a little sore after laser treatment? Duke had his first laser session today and also did under water treadmill for about 5 minutes as part of his first PT session. I noticed his leg seemed more sore tonight. My guess is that should go away in 24-48 hours but I was just curious since he just had his first session.

My dog is always really tired after laser therapy as their body is working hard to heal with the help of laser therapy.

I havenā€™t done water treadmill for my dogs.

My dog is usually tired for 24 hrs or less after laser therapy. And it seems to heal and help with its anti inflammatory relief.
Your dog should be back to normal in the next day or so.

Was it a vet that recommended laser therapy and water treadmill at same time/same day??

It could be that the laser therapy could be one day then in another day or so the water therapy so itā€™s not too much at once ,possibly. Iā€™m not saying for sure though.

OP
dukebulldog303
May 9, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
My dog is always really tired after laser therapy as their body is working hard to heal with the help of laser therapy.

I havenā€™t done water treadmill for my dogs.

My dog is usually tired for 24 hrs or less after laser therapy. And it seems to heal and help with its anti inflammatory relief.
Your dog should be back to normal in the next day or so.

Was it a vet that recommended laser therapy and water treadmill at same time/same day??

It could be that the laser therapy could be one day then in another day or so the water therapy so itā€™s not too much at once ,possibly. Iā€™m not saying for sure though.
it was at rehab facility recommended by my vet. It was first visit/consult with a PT. They wanted to see how my dog would do on under water treadmill. I think youā€™re right- we will alternate laser therapy and water treadmill sessions (not on same day). He was super tired tonight šŸ˜Š

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
it was at rehab facility recommended by my vet. It was first visit/consult with a PT. They wanted to see how my dog would do on under water treadmill. I think youā€™re right- we will alternate laser therapy and water treadmill sessions (not on same day). He was super tired tonight šŸ˜Š
not surprising... even though it is PT, it is exercise and will tire him out

Members online

No members online now.