EB Dementia ( Selegiline)

Izzymom

Jan 3, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Isabell “Izzy”
My baby girl Izzy, just turned 11 yr. She has been in great health , ( cherry eye surgery, and TPO, when she was younger). In Nov. noticed her roaming, staring and barking more( she was never a barker) . Went to vet in Dec., her blood work and checkup was perfect. The vet put her on Rimadyl and Gabapentin. I have not noticed any difference, and have researched the 2 and am taking her off. The vet has ordered Selegiline for me to try but was wondering if anyone has used this or has any other suggests. I am going to my holistic vet tomorrow for acupuncture and laser for her. I will ask her but I would like anyone’s suggestions and if anyone has had experience with this. She is the love of my life.❤️❤️❤️❤️

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello and Welcome to EBN….

We all hate when our dogs age but sadly as you know it’s life. I personally would not give sellgiline too many side effects that will bring on more issues. Yes holistic vet will be definitely better for an aging dog. Plz let us know what that vet says. Btw have a diffuser going where Izzy sleeps. Add some lavender, peppermint, a couple drops of tea tree, lemongrass…helps the breathing n clarifies the brain. 🙂

Heres the side effects….

Side effects include vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness, disorientation/confusion, aggression, repetitive movements, tiredness, drooling, itchiness, licking, trembling, and lack of appetite. Uncommon but serious side effects include deafness and panting more than usual.

OP
Izzymom

Izzymom

Jan 3, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Isabell “Izzy”
Hello and Welcome to EBN….

We all hate when our dogs age but sadly as you know it’s life. I personally would not give sellgiline too many side effects that will bring on more issues. Yes holistic vet will be definitely better for an aging dog. Plz let us know what that vet says. Btw have a diffuser going where Izzy sleeps. Add some lavender, peppermint, a couple drops of tea tree, lemongrass…helps the breathing n clarifies the brain. 🙂

Heres the side effects….

Side effects include vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness, disorientation/confusion, aggression, repetitive movements, tiredness, drooling, itchiness, licking, trembling, and lack of appetite. Uncommon but serious side effects include deafness and panting more than usual.
Thank you- will post what holistic vet says

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No experience, but sending some healing thoughts . Keep us posted

Gloria

Jun 22, 2014
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bonnie
My baby girl Izzy, just turned 11 yr. She has been in great health , ( cherry eye surgery, and TPO, when she was younger). In Nov. noticed her roaming, staring and barking more( she was never a barker) . Went to vet in Dec., her blood work and checkup was perfect. The vet put her on Rimadyl and Gabapentin. I have not noticed any difference, and have researched the 2 and am taking her off. The vet has ordered Selegiline for me to try but was wondering if anyone has used this or has any other suggests. I am going to my holistic vet tomorrow for acupuncture and laser for her. I will ask her but I would like anyone’s suggestions and if anyone has had experience with this. She is the love of my life.❤️❤️❤️❤️
you might contact Mama J with Obie’s Bulldog Rescue Via Facebook. Her senior bulldog Wannie has had these same senior issues and she has her on medication that has helped.

Members online

No members online now.