Reesie wants to say Hello Everybody!!

ReesieTheBully

May 15, 2024
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Reesie
Hello, I'm new to the board. We brought a new Bully into our home 2 weeks ago, She's not our first bully but the first from the puppy stage, our first one we rescued when she was 10 months old. Wanted to join to connect with other bully owners outside of FB. We do own a Golden Retriever as well and got her when she was 8 weeks as well and trained her, however, they haven't met yet do to, she's up in college with my son and they haven't come home yet. We our socializing her on walks, and she is meeting other dogs and no issues. (so far), but she barks at her self in reflections from windows and mirrors, lol

Looking for some advice on what to look out for from the puppy stage, training advice, particularly the nipping and ESPECIALLY chewing on power chords.

We do take her out every 30 mins. when she wakes up, after she eats, and after play time. She is on an eating schedule and she'll let you know when it's time lol, oh, and when she's tired, man, does she get cranky and whiney, and then she'll lay down and take a 'cat nap'. (maybe 20 - 30 tops). We are crate training her and she does go in it at night when it's bed time, and even during the day, she'll walk in and out of it during the day, and even bring one of her toys in there for a bit. She is definitely getting her own personality.

Like I mentioned, not our first bully, but first from the puppy stage.

I do have one question that may be kind of odd, When we were camping over the weekend ,we met someone that on our walk. they've owned an Old English Bully and an English Bully and said that Reesie is not a EB but an OEB, how can one tell at this age? (she's 13 weeks) She was sold as and has papers as an EB, we didn't meet her parents but saw pics "of them"

thanks everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_5929.jpg
    IMG_5929.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7003.jpg
    IMG_7003.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN! You are off to a great start for your training! She is a cutie pie… I can see why someone sees her as an OEB, her snout is a little longer, which is a good thing in relation to breathing issues.

OP
ReesieTheBully

ReesieTheBully

May 15, 2024
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Reesie
Welcome to EBN! You are off to a great start for your training! She is a cutie pie… I can see why someone sees her as an OEB, her snout is a little longer, which is a good thing in relation to breathing issues.

Thank you, she's a trip and a blast for sure, yeah she does have a 'long' snout compared to my other one we had, where she was almost 'flat faced' and full of wrinkles, lol, Any advice on the nipping? We do divert her to her toys and that works, but she'll come back a few seconds later and get nipping again, and we just go in that circle for an hour or so. I'll know it'll end when her adult teeth come in, but man, those puppy teeth are SHARP. lol

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Welcome to EBN!

Looking for some advice on what to look out for from the puppy stage, training advice, particularly the nipping and ESPECIALLY chewing on power chords.

You need to remove the power cords, there should be none available to chew on. If that's not possible you need to block off access to where the power cords are.

Nipping is frustrating but all puppies have this amazing mouth to explore with, they're gonna use it 😍! The best way to handle nipping is to always have toys nearby. When a tooth touches any human skin it's "EH EH!" and immediately redirect to a toy to play with. They will eventually get it, and you'll also be training yourself and the dog with a 'no' command that isn't english (They'll hear the word no in all situations many not having to do with them, having a noise-based command you can easily make will become extremely useful).

I do have one question that may be kind of odd, When we were camping over the weekend ,we met someone that on our walk. they've owned an Old English Bully and an English Bully and said that Reesie is not a EB but an OEB, how can one tell at this age? (she's 13 weeks) She was sold as and has papers as an EB, we didn't meet her parents but saw pics "of them"
They are at least half correct. Her face, shape, and coloring give it away. I recommend reading through and keeping a copy of the illustrated AKC Bulldog standard provided by the BCA. https://bulldogclubofamerica.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/illustratedstandard.pdf

I don't know enough about the Olde English Bulldogge breed to say... But a lot of work has gone into establishing that breed recently. I can't imagine someone would purposely breed OEB and then try to sell them as a different breed. OEB was recently recognized by UKC. I recommend reading through their standard as well: https://www.ukcdogs.com/olde-english-bulldogge

I recommend researching her AKC Pedigree (is that the papers that you have?). Why weren't the parents available to see?

Last edited:
OP
ReesieTheBully

ReesieTheBully

May 15, 2024
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Reesie
Welcome to EBN!

You need to remove the power cords, there should be none available to chew on. If that's not possible you need to block off access to where the power cords are.

Nipping is frustrating but all puppies have this amazing mouth to explore with, they're gonna use it 😍! The best way to handle nipping is to always have toys nearby. When a tooth touches any human skin it's "EH EH!" and immediately redirect to a toy to play with. They will eventually get it, and you'll also be training yourself and the dog with a 'no' command that isn't english (They'll hear the word no in all situations many not having to do with them, having a noise-based command you can easily make will become extremely useful).

They are at least half correct. Her face, shape, and coloring give it away. I recommend reading through and keeping a copy of the illustrated AKC Bulldog standard provided by the BCA. https://bulldogclubofamerica.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/illustratedstandard.pdf

I don't know enough about the Olde English Bulldogge breed to say... But a lot of work has gone into establishing that breed recently. I can't imagine someone would purposely breed OEB and then try to sell them as a different breed. OEB was recently recognized by UKC. I recommend reading through their standard as well: https://www.ukcdogs.com/olde-english-bulldogge

I recommend researching her AKC Pedigree (is that the papers that you have?). Why weren't the parents available to see?

I put up the chords in my office so they're hidden now, (she was not happy, lol).
been doing that on the nipping aspect, our Goldie learned it real quick, still nips when playing, but then she "kisses" it like saying she's sorry, lol, she'll get it, over time

yeah, I've been looking at both and trying to do a comparison, lol, though, she's starting to get more of the EB features, her sister was wrinkled and had more of a flatter face (shorter snout) like an EB compared to Reesie.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Welcome to EBN pretty Reesie.

An OEB doesn’t have a rope sitting on their nose like yours.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.