Getting my new pup on Friday! First time owner

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Thanks so much for all the info, it's so greatly appreciated. You guys here have given me SO much advice already.

At the moment, I'm not sure what she weighs, but I get to pick her up Friday - so I'll find out as soon as I can.

Yeah, I don't want an unhealthy dog, it's not fair, the dog doesn't get to choose what she will get fed. So I, as the carer, will have to make sure I'm doing everything I can to make sure she has a long healthy life.

I'm going to get some insurance, which I'm currently struggling with choosing, I will be doing more research into that. I think it's around $60/month for a decent insurance with a $100/premium and a $4000/visit limit. Here in the UK, I don't think VET bills are as expensive as in USA.

I've added a picture of Sash, who I'll be picking up in 3 days.View attachment 124472

Oh sorry I forgot you didn’t get your pup yet. I was asking her weight for how much raw food to feed her🙂

She is adorable!

Pet insurance was one of the best things I did for my Frenchie. Definitely helps with the huge vet bills he had.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Thanks so much for all the info, it's so greatly appreciated. You guys here have given me SO much advice already.

At the moment, I'm not sure what she weighs, but I get to pick her up Friday - so I'll find out as soon as I can.

Yeah, I don't want an unhealthy dog, it's not fair, the dog doesn't get to choose what she will get fed. So I, as the carer, will have to make sure I'm doing everything I can to make sure she has a long healthy life.

I'm going to get some insurance, which I'm currently struggling with choosing, I will be doing more research into that. I think it's around $60/month for a decent insurance with a $100/premium and a $4000/visit limit. Here in the UK, I don't think VET bills are as expensive as in USA.

I've added a picture of Sash, who I'll be picking up in 3 days.View attachment 124472
Pretty Lil' Girl. Take a lot of pictures of your precious one.

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
What food brands are available in England? That might help people here make suggestions.

OP
C

CJacko97

Jul 10, 2023
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Sash
I bought some Orijen kibble, which seems to be a good quality brand based on some posts here. I'm also looking into a raw diet at the moment, but haven't been able to source a good supplier yet. I'll be going to the pet store on Saturday and see what they've got!

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I bought some Orijen kibble, which seems to be a good quality brand based on some posts here. I'm also looking into a raw diet at the moment, but haven't been able to source a good supplier yet. I'll be going to the pet store on Saturday and see what they've got!
I thought proDog raw was available to you?

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Away from the food topic, you have had lots of good advice on that, Toys! Never, ever give any type of rawhide anything. It is full of chemicals and a choking hazard. Also string pull or tug toys. They can shred and can also be dangerous if swallowed.
Good luck with your new puppy!

OP
C

CJacko97

Jul 10, 2023
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Sash
You're completely right! I forgot to order it, and have now ordered it.

Just need some training treats now, that's what I was actually trying to post about when I got distracted! I have a lot going through my mind at the moment trying to get everything prepared. Picking her up in less than 24 hrs :)

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)

Just need some training treats now, that's what I was actually trying to post about when I got distracted! I have a lot going through my mind at the moment trying to get everything prepared. Picking her up in less than 24 hrs :)
You will have a great time. Don't overwhelm your new youngster...I will imagine your puppy will think his/her name is NO-NO! :yes:

Frankiethebully

Mar 6, 2023
Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
Frankie
Just had a look at all the foods recommended and none of them seem to be in England, does anyone hav any reccomendations for England?

EDIT - Ordered some of this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XFTVZKX?psc=1&smid=A2J8UF1DKGX9UK&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp (Sorry if links not allowed...) - This is 6* on the food list, so will give this a try.
I have a 13 month old English bulldog, he was on burns food when we adopted him, his coat was dry and coarse and he constantly had wind, I then changed him to royal canin as I knew others who had their bull breeds on it, he improved a lot on the puppy version of the royal canin bulldog however when it came time to start transitioning to the adult kibble he started getting bloated, diarrhoea & vomiting up most of his food each day. My vet recommended trying raw diet or cold pressed food so after doing a few days of research online we are now using ‘Patron project’ cold pressed kibble, he absolutely loves it, never has wind anymore & his stool is so much better: his coat is great and he has no more stomach issues as it’s easier to digest.it’s available to purchase online in uk and Ireland, a small percentage of your purchase goes to a local animal charity or rescue centre of your choice which is a nice touch too.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks for your recommendations guys, I was looking on amazon to purchase some of these things and noticed that they don't really deliver with prime etc, so I'm guessing there's not much stock.. I'll have to visit a pet store near me and see if I can find any of the better stuff.

How much do you guys spend on food per month for just 1 bulldog?

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet

Crumps beef liver I give my dogs, other brand I also give is Benny bully or pure bites beef liver.

Kangaroo 1 ingredient treats too.

Freeze dried beef liver and other freeze dried treats my dogs go nuts For great for training.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just had a look at all the foods recommended and none of them seem to be in England, does anyone hav any reccomendations for England?

EDIT - Ordered some of this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XFTVZKX?psc=1&smid=A2J8UF1DKGX9UK&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp (Sorry if links not allowed...) - This is 6* on the food list, so will give this a try.
I can never find the link for UK foods... @1Chumly might remeber it.

I follow a bulldog on Istagram and he feeds Oodles... it is raw and they feed Pablo once a day.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
I can never find the link for UK foods... @1Chumly might remeber it.

I follow a bulldog on Istagram and he feeds Oodles... it is raw and they feed Pablo once a day.
Done!

Members online

No members online now.