PLEASE HELP! BALD SPOTS

smurban19

Feb 11, 2024
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelly
Hi Everyone I am here looking for ANY recommendations.

This is Nelly she is 4.5 years old. She started with bald spots last year. I have taken her to the vet for this issue but didn't get very far. She had blood work done that came back with no issues. The vet told me it is most likely seasonal Alopecia but it hasn't gotten better even with the seasons changing multiple times. When I asked about food allergy's they didn't really give me any advice on what to feed her. She was on Royal Canine for Bulldogs but it made her stool so hard that she would bleed. She was also on Pro Plan sensitive stomach (she has no issues with this. I just switch because i thought maybe there was something better for her coat that would help the baldness) She is now on Diamonds Naturals Skin & Coat with no change. She doesn't Itch and it doesn't seem to bother her at all. It just looks worse than it is... The vet recommended allergy shots to "see" if it would help but they said it most likely wasn't an allergy since its not bothering her and to try melatonin because that would help with the regrowth. I didn't jump on the allergy shots since they don't even know if its an allergy and my girl is sleepy the way it is, I didn't want to make her more sleepy.. The shedding is literally driving me insane. I had a Saint Bernard that didn't shed this much!

So I guess my questions are... Has anyone had a EBD with this type of hairloss... what was it? What did you do to help it? what do you feed your EBD that helps their coat not shed so bad? and should I find a new vet lol

Any help would greatly be apprecaited!

Attachments

• IMG_7101.jpeg
    IMG_7101.jpeg
    240.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7099.jpeg
    IMG_7099.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7100.jpeg
    IMG_7100.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7102.jpeg
    IMG_7102.jpeg
    231.7 KB · Views: 14

Sunflower13

Feb 7, 2024
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper

This is Nelly she is 4.5 years old. She started with bald spots last year. I have taken her to the vet for this issue but didn't get very far. She had blood work done that came back with no issues. The vet told me it is most likely seasonal Alopecia but it hasn't gotten better even with the seasons changing multiple times. When I asked about food allergy's they didn't really give me any advice on what to feed her. She was on Royal Canine for Bulldogs but it made her stool so hard that she would bleed. She was also on Pro Plan sensitive stomach (she has no issues with this. I just switch because i thought maybe there was something better for her coat that would help the baldness) She is now on Diamonds Naturals Skin & Coat with no change. She doesn't Itch and it doesn't seem to bother her at all. It just looks worse than it is... The vet recommended allergy shots to "see" if it would help but they said it most likely wasn't an allergy since its not bothering her and to try melatonin because that would help with the regrowth. I didn't jump on the allergy shots since they don't even know if its an allergy and my girl is sleepy the way it is, I didn't want to make her more sleepy.. The shedding is literally driving me insane. I had a Saint Bernard that didn't shed this much!

So I guess my questions are... Has anyone had a EBD with this type of hairloss... what was it? What did you do to help it? what do you feed your EBD that helps their coat not shed so bad? and should I find a new vet lol

My boy also has alopecia (pic attached) but he does suffer from allergies. I recently decided on a raw diet with the help of this forum but it’s too early to report. I also bought NuStock after their recommendation and that worked so well on a hotspot. Again, too early to report on his bald spot but I have been applying it. It stinks but seems to work wonders.

I had another bulldog, Luke, who is no longer with us. He developed alopecia on both sides. One side grew back and the other side never did. That was without treatment though. Our vet didn’t seem concerned. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Attachments

• IMG_8252.jpeg
    IMG_8252.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
OP
S

smurban19

Feb 11, 2024
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelly
My boy also has alopecia (pic attached) but he does suffer from allergies. I recently decided on a raw diet with the help of this forum but it’s too early to report. I also bought NuStock after their recommendation and that worked so well on a hotspot. Again, too early to report on his bald spot but I have been applying it. It stinks but seems to work wonders.

I had another bulldog, Luke, who is no longer with us. He developed alopecia on both sides. One side grew back and the other side never did. That was without treatment though. Our vet didn’t seem concerned. 🤷🏼‍♀️
@Sunflower13 Thank you for your reply! Could you please let me know how the diet works when you get further into your journey? I am also going to purchase the NuStock and give it a try. I honestly don't know how my girl has any hair left. She looses SO MUCH.. Worse than any dog I've ever had..

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty had SFA and it would come and go. I tried Melatonin and it did nothing. I gave up and no longer worried about it. It is cosmetic and harmless and doesn't bother them at all, just us!

OP
S

smurban19

Feb 11, 2024
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelly
Monty had SFA and it would come and go. I tried Melatonin and it did nothing. I gave up and no longer worried about it. It is cosmetic and harmless and doesn't bother them at all, just us!
@1Chumly That is why I didn't really worry about it because all her blood work came back good and it doesn't itch or bother her.. I'm going insane with the hair though.. I just didn't know if a different diet would help at all with the hair she has left lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Did your vet do a skin scrape? SFA will only be on the flank (sides)... your baby has other areas with hair loss. So to me more is going on than the SFA.

I would give a probiotic.. like fresh sauerkraut (fork full once a day) and get him on a raw diet or a high quality kibble.. Open Farm, Zingnature,.

@oscarmayer

OP
S

smurban19

Feb 11, 2024
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelly
Did your vet do a skin scrape? SFA will only be on the flank (sides)... your baby has other areas with hair loss. So to me more is going on than the SFA.

I would give a probiotic.. like fresh sauerkraut (fork full once a day) and get him on a raw diet or a high quality kibble.. Open Farm, Zingnature,.

@oscarmayer
@2BullyMama no they didn’t offer a skin scrap. Only blood work which all came back fine. These small spots just started I would say within the last month. The flanks have been hairless for over a year. One flank went hairless in 2021 but then grew back.. then about 8 months later both sides started falling out and never came back.

Sunflower13

Feb 7, 2024
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper
@Sunflower13 Thank you for your reply! Could you please let me know how the diet works when you get further into your journey? I am also going to purchase the NuStock and give it a try. I honestly don't know how my girl has any hair left. She looses SO MUCH.. Worse than any dog I've ever had..
I will keep you posted! I think it always leads back to food. Food is thy medicine!! :) I seriously never imagined going to raw but after all of the research I’ve done, I can’t wait!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama no they didn’t offer a skin scrap. Only blood work which all came back fine. These small spots just started I would say within the last month. The flanks have been hairless for over a year. One flank went hairless in 2021 but then grew back.. then about 8 months later both sides started falling out and never came back.
I would ask for a scrape of the spots not on the flank... just to rule out any type of dermatitis

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Maybe if I would have posted the thread would have helped right?
🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I will keep you posted! I think it always leads back to food. Food is thy medicine!! :) I seriously never imagined going to raw but after all of the research I’ve done, I can’t wait!!

Food is definitely the medicine. Goes for humans too. 👍

OP
S

smurban19

Feb 11, 2024
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelly
Maybe if I would have posted the thread would have helped right?
🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

:ROFLMAO: I just thought you wanted me to search Nustock lol! Which i did do and started reading through all the threads and got some good info! I will read through the link above as well! thank you!

Members online

No members online now.