Constant Pacing in 12yo EB

aflesher

Nov 5, 2020
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Our girl turned 12 this year and still has pretty remarkable health for her age. In that last month or so we've noticed two big changes though:
  1. she's having a much harder time gripping on our hardwood floors(no real surprise given her age)
  2. she is constantly pacing around the house and sometimes in the middle of the night
We assumed the pacing is because she's in pain or discomfort but she also doesn't exhibit any another symptoms. Great appetite still, tons of energy, no change in mood etc.

Even though she's sleeping less she seems just wired. She's constantly doing laps around the house.

If it is pain then we are taking steps and medication to help with that but wanted to see if it might be something else.

Thanks!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
If you’re going to take steps for meds, just make sure the vet diagnose her n not “might be this or that” type of diagnoses. She’ll end up taking meds for no reason. We see this often in here members saying “vets thinks it….“and wasn’t even the issue of the dog. Meds will bring down the immune system n next thing you know, you have other issues.

My Jake would get up often in the night. I would hear him. He regurgitate his supper. Why he is now eating from a slow feeder. Will have to say he barely gets up now. Not saying that’s the issue of yours but yes you need to have a vet check. Keep us posted

OP
A

aflesher

Nov 5, 2020
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Has she been to the vet lately for a checkup and any bloodwork done?
Yes, forgot to mention that. Just had a full blood panel. No issues to report.

OP
A

aflesher

Nov 5, 2020
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
If you’re going to take steps for meds, just make sure the vet diagnose her n not “might be this or that” type of diagnoses. She’ll end up taking meds for no reason. We see this often in here members saying “vets thinks it….“and wasn’t even the issue of the dog. Meds will bring down the immune system n next thing you know, you have other issues.

My Jake would get up often in the night. I would hear him. He regurgitate his supper. Why he is now eating from a slow feeder. Will have to say he barely gets up now. Not saying that’s the issue of yours but yes you need to have a vet check. Keep us posted
That's good advice in general. We will wait for the meds to take effect to help with pain management but I thought I'd ask if anyone had dealt with something similar before.

Stella has been on a slow feeder pretty much her whole life and has never issues with vomiting/regurgitating or anything like that.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Yes, forgot to mention that. Just had a full blood panel. No issues to report.
Being that she is a senior, the first thing that comes to my mind would be maybe sundowners aka dog dementia. I don't have personal experience but I do believe that pacing around is a symptom. Maybe something you can look into further and ask the vet about.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Sounds like Sundowners to me. Our Monty went through that. It got steadily worse over time until in the end he just stood there with no idea at all where he was. It was so very sad. His quality of life was gone so we had to say goodbye to him.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
That's good advice in general. We will wait for the meds to take effect to help with pain management but I thought I'd ask if anyone had dealt with something similar before.

Stella has been on a slow feeder pretty much her whole life and has never issues with vomiting/regurgitating or anything like that.
Yes it’s general.

OP
A

aflesher

Nov 5, 2020
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Sounds like Sundowners to me. Our Monty went through that. It got steadily worse over time until in the end he just stood there with no idea at all where he was. It was so very sad. His quality of life was gone so we had to say goodbye to him.
Appreciate the response and I'm quite sure you are right. We read up on the symptoms and they really match up with what we are experiencing ...

We have a vet appt on Tuesday so we'll know more then but it sounds like there isn't much we can do.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Appreciate the response and I'm quite sure you are right. We read up on the symptoms and they really match up with what we are experiencing ...

We have a vet appt on Tuesday so we'll know more then but it sounds like there isn't much we can do.
What medications are you giving?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Sounds exactly like dementia to me.

Members online