bald spots on head - help!

Sushirolls

Aug 5, 2023
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
S
View attachment 124579We adopted her a month ago and she had a perfect coat. I started to feed her cooked raw, beef, chicken, pork, broccoli, peas, sweet potatoes, salmon oil pumps and more fruit and veg.
She started with spots on the top of her head, that form into a sore and eventually scabs and then becomes hairless.
I moved her onto salmon kibble to see if this would change and after a week itā€™s still showing signs of more balding in the surrounding area.

Could anyone please advise if they have experienced this before?
image.jpg

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
View attachment 124579We adopted her a month ago and she had a perfect coat. I started to feed her cooked raw, beef, chicken, pork, broccoli, peas, sweet potatoes, salmon oil pumps and more fruit and veg.
She started with spots on the top of her head, that form into a sore and eventually scabs and then becomes hairless.
I moved her onto salmon kibble to see if this would change and after a week itā€™s still showing signs of more balding in the surrounding area.

Could anyone please advise if they have experienced this before?View attachment 124580

I responded to your other thread with lots of suggestionsšŸ™‚

First thing to do is get her off kibble completely and onto raw diet.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Could anyone please advise if they have experienced this before?View attachment 124580
Looks to me -- If under a year old... have her checked for mites. If over a year, it is probably staph infection

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Looks to me -- If under a year old... have her checked for mites. If over a year, it is probably staph infection
From the hives from the loss of our other dog 3 months ago- Rusty actually just got a staph infection unfortunately.

But the hives is what causes the staph infection.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
From the hives from the loss of our other dog 3 months ago- Rusty actually just got a staph infection unfortunately.

But the hives is what causes the staph infection.
not surprised... staph is due to a weaken immune system so makes sense for the staph to show up after hives. Happened to Banks once.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
not surprised... staph is due to a weaken immune system so makes sense for the staph to show up after hives. Happened to Banks once.

He is on everything to keep his immune system strong and allergies are manageable but vet and us think the stress and confusion of the loss of the other dog 3 months ago is still effecting him in the form of hives and causing the infection. Hoping they adapt soon and hives stop coming!

OP
S

Sushirolls

Aug 5, 2023
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
S
What about this looks like mites please? I am leaning more towards allergies as Iā€™ve notice the lumps flare more after eating food.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
What about this looks like mites please? I am leaning more towards allergies as Iā€™ve notice the lumps flare more after eating food.
Mites/manage is common in puppies due to their immune system still developing.... I only mentioned it if she is under a year old. if she is older than a year, then it is more likely staph infection which is also due to weak immune system and a lot of times triggered by a food allergy.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Agree with @2BullyMama - it does look more like staph to meā€¦

Please see this post on Chlorhexidine soaks. I wouldnā€™t do it on the head, but you can dab the chlorhexidine onto the spots. It will kill off the staph. I recommend also doing the body soak even if you canā€™t yet see the body spots. Staph lives on the skin just waiting for an opportunity.

You can safely give benedryl, 1mg per lb with some slop is perfectly safe. Donā€™t stop doing this. You can also switch to cetirizine (zyrtec) and save benedryl for immediate relief if you want. Both are safe.

Do you link the weed killer to this breakout? Have you had much rain since? What does the bag say about pets and children?

The pictures look like common seasonal allergies

Avoid baths. You can pick up some chlorhexidine in a gallon container from the internet. It use to be $20 on Amazon but they switched to 32oz jugs. My last order was through chewy. It should be 2%. Instead of a bath, mix an ounce of this into a gallon of water and soak him in it being careful to keep it from his eyes. I just avoid the whole head. Let it soak 5 minutes then towel off. Dont rinse. Blow dry on cold to make sure heā€™s totally dry.

You can do this every day if heā€™s having sores otherwise the bald spots you can dab the straight chlorohexidine onto with a cotton swab. Just make sure you dry him off very well after the bath.

I recommend adding salmon oil and/or coconut oil to his food.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.