Effectiveness of Nu Vet or other allergy related meds

Squeezer

Nov 6, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cozmeaux ,Elvis
Hoping to get opinions on effectiveness of Nu Vet and other allergy related meds.
We started our 4 year old male bullie on Nu Vet about 2 1/2 weeks ago, and although it appears his coat is nice and shiny , we havenā€™t yet noticed any changes to his itching/ scratching due to what Iā€™m certain are allergies (in our area of Texas, ragweed is very high and mold spores are very high). We have given hi. Benadryl in the past, but I was hoping to find an alternative or a product that is specific for dogs that would help with the environmental allergy issue.

We routinely clean his folds etc., but he still wants to scratch away at his faceā€¦.

I also see a whole lot of probiotics and allergy related products advertised on Instagram, and itā€™s difficult to weed through the slick advertising and determine what real may be of help to us dog owners.

Apologies if this has already been covered in previous threads, but my search for Nu Vet came up empty.

thanks all!

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
The best supplement for allergies is Bovine Colostrum(I buy the Four Leaf Rover brand), my dog has Severe allergies and actually required vet dermatologist for how bad his allergies were.

I definitely recommend AVOIDING Apoquel, Cytopoint, Benadryl and atopica cause they all suppress the immune system leading to more health issues, 1 of my dogs even got cancer from the apoquel, cytopoint is basically the injection version of apoquel. I donā€™t recommend any of those as they mask the issue and cause way more problems.

I highly recommend you try the Four Leaf Rover Bovine Colostrum for him, it was a game changer for BOTH my dogs, the one on apoquel still chewed and itched, I took her off apoquel and put her on bovine colostrum powder just like my other dog was on colostrum and I seen the improvement, NO more itching for either of them.

I feed them raw which is the best for any health issues and prevents new health issues. But cause they had environmental allergies before I put them on raw, thatā€™s why I had to put them on bovine colostrum powder.

You give it 30 minutes BEFORE breakfast as itā€™s better absorbed on empty stomach, so the powder put in the dish by itself and they lick it up.

Itā€™s amazing supplement for even weak immune system(allergies is main use), and even helps them fight viruses.
But I honestly find itā€™s the best for allergies.

And there is no side effects, if it doesnā€™t help, it doesnā€™t harm.

Probiotics are also great for allergies, I give my dog Four Leaf Rover Protect probiotics and also rotate thru Gut Guard probiotics from the same company.

Also what you feed can make a huge difference for the immune system.

what food do you feed???

Reactions: Sam
OP
S

Squeezer

Nov 6, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cozmeaux ,Elvis
The best supplement for allergies is Bovine Colostrum(I buy the Four Leaf Rover brand), my dog has Severe allergies and actually required vet dermatologist for how bad his allergies were.

I definitely recommend AVOIDING Apoquel, Cytopoint, Benadryl and atopica cause they all suppress the immune system leading to more health issues, 1 of my dogs even got cancer from the apoquel, cytopoint is basically the injection version of apoquel. I donā€™t recommend any of those as they mask the issue and cause way more problems.

I highly recommend you try the Four Leaf Rover Bovine Colostrum for him, it was a game changer for BOTH my dogs, the one on apoquel still chewed and itched, I took her off apoquel and put her on bovine colostrum powder just like my other dog was on colostrum and I seen the improvement, NO more itching for either of them.

I feed them raw which is the best for any health issues and prevents new health issues. But cause they had environmental allergies before I put them on raw, thatā€™s why I had to put them on bovine colostrum powder.

You give it 30 minutes BEFORE breakfast as itā€™s better absorbed on empty stomach, so the powder put in the dish by itself and they lick it up.

Itā€™s amazing supplement for even weak immune system(allergies is main use), and even helps them fight viruses.
But I honestly find itā€™s the best for allergies.

And there is no side effects, if it doesnā€™t help, it doesnā€™t harm.

Probiotics are also great for allergies, I give my dog Four Leaf Rover Protect probiotics and also rotate thru Gut Guard probiotics from the same company.

Also what you feed can make a huge difference for the immune system.

what food do you feed???
thanks again, weā€™ve always fed him kibble, and currently feeding him Natureā€™s Logic. we are rotating through the various combinations and heā€™s doing well with Natureā€™s Logicā€¦.we supplement with Nu Vet and fresh fruit ( little bits of banana , apple and blueberries, all of which he loves).

Weā€™ll look up the Four Leaf Rover products, thanks!

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
thanks again, weā€™ve always fed him kibble, and currently feeding him Natureā€™s Logic. we are rotating through the various combinations and heā€™s doing well with Natureā€™s Logicā€¦.we supplement with Nu Vet and fresh fruit ( little bits of banana , apple and blueberries, all of which he loves).

Weā€™ll look up the Four Leaf Rover products, thanks!

Thatā€™s the best Kibble for allergies and health issues and preventative of new health issues. Great premium food!!

You feed premium healthy dog food, so allergies are very likely environmental which the bovine colostrum should help with.

handsomedan

Apr 2, 2018
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dan and Auggie
We started using bovine colostrum this year as well and it's worked wonders for our allergy prone bulldogs! No more irritated wrinkles!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I didnā€™t have any luck with bovine colostrum. I give Canine Matrix Skin & Coat.

Luna bulldog

Jul 24, 2023
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Luna
Hoping to get opinions on effectiveness of Nu Vet and other allergy related meds.
We started our 4 year old male bullie on Nu Vet about 2 1/2 weeks ago, and although it appears his coat is nice and shiny , we havenā€™t yet noticed any changes to his itching/ scratching due to what Iā€™m certain are allergies (in our area of Texas, ragweed is very high and mold spores are very high). We have given hi. Benadryl in the past, but I was hoping to find an alternative or a product that is specific for dogs that would help with the environmental allergy issue.

We routinely clean his folds etc., but he still wants to scratch away at his faceā€¦.

I also see a whole lot of probiotics and allergy related products advertised on Instagram, and itā€™s difficult to weed through the slick advertising and determine what real may be of help to us dog owners.

Apologies if this has already been covered in previous threads, but my search for Nu Vet came up empty.

thanks all!

I have looked at that supplement and I personally wouldnā€™t give it and dont recommend it cause itā€™s synthetic vitamins, which your Natures Logic food doesnā€™t use(which is great cause synthetic vitamins arenā€™t good for them and natures logic is complete and balanced which contains all those vitamins but uses whole foods Not synthetic vitamins). Synthetic vitamins can cause inflammation and allergies too.

I feed Natures Logic when raw is not a option and I personally wouldnā€™t take away the benefits of synthetic free food to add synthetic vitamins supplement. Which can degree purpose of that good food.

Cause his food is balanced, adding that supplement can cause a not balanced diet cause you adding synthetic vitamins to a already balanced food which can cause excess or deficiency in some vitamins.

So I recommend you not give that supplement for those reasonsšŸ™‚

I give bovine colostrum for my dogs allergies which has kept them very manageable.

OP
S

Squeezer

Nov 6, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cozmeaux ,Elvis
I have looked at that supplement and I personally wouldnā€™t give it and dont recommend it cause itā€™s synthetic vitamins, which your Natures Logic food doesnā€™t use(which is great cause synthetic vitamins arenā€™t good for them and natures logic is complete and balanced which contains all those vitamins but uses whole foods Not synthetic vitamins). Synthetic vitamins can cause inflammation and allergies too.

I feed Natures Logic when raw is not a option and I personally wouldnā€™t take away the benefits of synthetic free food to add synthetic vitamins supplement. Which can degree purpose of that good food.

Cause his food is balanced, adding that supplement can cause a not balanced diet cause you adding synthetic vitamins to a already balanced food which can cause excess or deficiency in some vitamins.

So I recommend you not give that supplement for those reasonsšŸ™‚

I give bovine colostrum for my dogs allergies which has kept them very manageable.
Thanks much !

OP
S

Squeezer

Nov 6, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cozmeaux ,Elvis
I didnā€™t have any luck with bovine colostrum. I give Canine Matrix Skin & Coat.
Thanks much, we will try the bovine colostrum first (heā€™s on his second day of having it), and hoping itā€™ll be beneficial. If not, we will give the Canine Matrix Skin and Coat a try ā€¦.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tried NuVet years ago and did not see any difference after a few months of use

Sam

Aug 21, 2023
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Boom
This is brilliant advise, thank you. My bully is on apoquel which I will now stop now. Where do you buy bovine colostrum powder from? Could you send me the link as the sites I'm seeing it on arenā€™t ones Iā€™ve come across before, so I'm worried in case they are not legit

OP
S

Squeezer

Nov 6, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cozmeaux ,Elvis
As suggested on the forum, we bought the Four Leaf Rover brand of bovine Colosturmā€¦.my wife googled Four Leaf Rover and bought it directly from their website (at least I think so?)ā€¦.

We havenā€™t yet seen much of a change in our 4 year old bullie, but heā€™s only been on it for a couple weeks now, and the pollen, grass and mold spores are off the charts in our part of Texas these days.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I have tried numerous supplements and I am wondering how much money and time I have wasted. After much research, I tried Mussel powder, and colostrum, re-ordering several times with no results as far as I could tell. I am now trying Mushroom powder. Who knows? He is on Omega 3 Fish oil, Hyaluronic acid and Movoflex and I think we will stay with those 3 regardless.
Edited to add. We all know each bulldog is different so just because something didn't help mine, does not mean it won't help yours. Caveat Emptor. That is the best advice I can offer!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.