Eye Problems - Appreciate your experiences

Boomer_The_Bulldog

Aug 21, 2023
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Boomer
Hi guys.

Over the last three weeks, our English Bulldog (Boomer, aged 4) has been waking up with a bit of a closed right eye. We took him to the vet, and they did an exam; they outlined that his eyes were a little dry, and he gained an ulcer on this eye. This was due to dogs' 'ingrowing eyelashes' on their eye structure.

He recommended using some antibacterial eye drops to reduce the ulcer for a week. This was done, and the ulcer went away.

However, the vet has recommended that Boomer has his inner eyelashes 'frozen off and removed'. Due to having dry eyes, these eyelashes can be irritable long-term. In the meantime, we have been given an eye ointment to lubricate his eyes which we use morning and night - something we have not built into his routine.

Long story - now the question. Have any of you ever had this issue, and if so, have you gone ahead with removing the eye lashes? This requires putting him under anaesthetic (which I hate the thought of for any animal) and a procedure to do it. Did you do it? Did you stick with the ointment? I would love your advice and experiences. For extra context, Boomer's eyes look healthy, with no redness, discharge, or ulcers.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Hi guys.

Over the last three weeks, our English Bulldog (Boomer, aged 4) has been waking up with a bit of a closed right eye. We took him to the vet, and they did an exam; they outlined that his eyes were a little dry, and he gained an ulcer on this eye. This was due to dogs' 'ingrowing eyelashes' on their eye structure.

He recommended using some antibacterial eye drops to reduce the ulcer for a week. This was done, and the ulcer went away.

However, the vet has recommended that Boomer has his inner eyelashes 'frozen off and removed'. Due to having dry eyes, these eyelashes can be irritable long-term. In the meantime, we have been given an eye ointment to lubricate his eyes which we use morning and night - something we have not built into his routine.

Long story - now the question. Have any of you ever had this issue, and if so, have you gone ahead with removing the eye lashes? This requires putting him under anaesthetic (which I hate the thought of for any animal) and a procedure to do it. Did you do it? Did you stick with the ointment? I would love your advice and experiences. For extra context, Boomer's eyes look healthy, with no redness, discharge, or ulcers.
Cryo is the best way to treat distichia. It's fast and effective. I would not hesitate.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I had both of my bullie's eyes done on both bullies. Never had a problem.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Buster came to us with an awful eye problem. His previous carers had given him eyedrops but never took care of the eyelash problem with his right eye. He had entropion surgery 4 days after we got him but the damage had already been done. His eye was scarred. He then bumped the eye and ruptured it so he had a corneal graft and has very limited vision. He is now having problems with his "good" eye with an ulcer that won't heal. His ophthalmologist is doing everything recommended but he still has an ulcer, and although it's smaller, he has lost most of the sight in that eye too. He is on 12 drops and ointment a day and he is the absolute best boy about it all. It makes me so sad this has happened to him.
My advice, take him to an ophthalmologist and take care of those eyelashes, much sooner rather than later! Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.