Buster's continuing eye problems

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I don't know if you all remember a previous post about Buster's ongoing eye problems, an ulcer that wouldn't heal for months. Well, things have just gone downhill. Last weekend, I noticed his good eye (if you can call it that) was closed. He had been rough-housing a little with our dachshund and I thought he had bumped into the brick fireplace. His eye remained closed and what little I could see was that his 3rd eyelid covered most of his eye. He was bumping into things. I was at the ophthalmologist as soon as they opened Monday a.m. The good news is the ulcer has finally healed but he is at a loss to fully explain why he is keeping that eye closed. One of the causes could be Horners Syndrome or another thought was Bells Palsy. As it is now, he is virtually blind. He does well enough around the house and what minuscule sight he has seems to come and go. Outside, we have to watch him very carefully and guide him until he gets on the grass, then he is OK until the return to the house. He is getting quite good at following at my heels, however. If we put his collar or harness on he just plants his feet and refuses to budge! I have looked up both Horners and Bells and it seems like it could go away, maybe. We don't think it was a stroke. His appetite is good and he still wants to spend most of his time on my knee.
Has anyone had any experience with either of these two problems or have any insight?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Oh, Buster!!! I do not have any insight as to either of those conditions but Jax (my 10 year old Frenchie) is being treated for a pretty bad corneal ulcer right now which I suspect came about from Darla scratching him. It's been going on since September and have been using the triple antibiotic eye ointment for the past few weeks and the vet did a debridement on the eye. He had his last follow up appointment this past Tuesday and while the eye still has a cloudiness to it, the ulcer has shrunk considerably. The same thing also happened to his other eye 1 year ago (and Darla did that one too) and the triple antibiotic ointment worked then too. Both times the vet said she was worried because of how bad the ulcers were and couldn't believe how well he has healed. She mentioned knowing of a medicine that saved her dog's eye before that isn't FDA approved for dogs but we didn't need to go there so I did not get the name of it.

I assume you have tried different ointments? A debridement? Sending positive thoughts to you and Buster!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Horners Syndrome affects the whole nervous system. If itā€™s the eye, is it like a sunken eye, saggy/exposed 3rd eyelid? Bells another neurological syndrome that will sink have the face.

Now this is me, if it was one of pups, he/she would be on Vitamin B Complex injections. Vit B Complex helps reactivate the nervous system. Btw, itā€™s extremely rare a dog or even human overdose on Vit B Complex. I know you can buy it online. Do talk to your vet about it.

Why I swear by Vit Bā€™s? About 18yrs ago I got Bells or Bells got me. I swear I freaked out. Iā€™ve researched 24/7 n fell on a lady in Liverpool UK that told her bell story. She took Vit B Complex 50 as supplements 3x a day. Took her a few months to see results. I figured I have nothing to lose n took the Vit B 100 complex instead of the 50 as your body will pee out what it doesnā€™t use. Took exactly 3 weeks n my face went back to normal. 3 weeks! In a nutshell, we have nerves, yes everywhere, but the ones on the side of scull, behind the ears that goes down towards the cheeks controls your facial expression. Basically it reactivates them nerves. Well, dogs have same nerves. This is just a thought but you should definitely look into it. If Buster does his normal routine n tumour is ruled out, up to you. ā¤ļø

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh, Buster!!! I do not have any insight as to either of those conditions but Jax (my 10 year old Frenchie) is being treated for a pretty bad corneal ulcer right now which I suspect came about from Darla scratching him. It's been going on since September and have been using the triple antibiotic eye ointment for the past few weeks and the vet did a debridement on the eye. He had his last follow up appointment this past Tuesday and while the eye still has a cloudiness to it, the ulcer has shrunk considerably. The same thing also happened to his other eye 1 year ago (and Darla did that one too) and the triple antibiotic ointment worked then too. Both times the vet said she was worried because of how bad the ulcers were and couldn't believe how well he has healed. She mentioned knowing of a medicine that saved her dog's eye before that isn't FDA approved for dogs but we didn't need to go there so I did not get the name of it.

I assume you have tried different ointments? A debridement? Sending positive thoughts to you and Buster!
Thank you!
Yes, he has had diamond burr debridement twice, and grid keratotomy all of which scared me to death! It's just so ironic that the ulcer finally healed and now this. He has been on prescription drops and ointment for the ulcer which we only found when he had a check-up on his 'bad' eye (the one with the corneal graft). Last night was not a good night. He had a tough time navigating outside even with lots of help and then sat down and did not want to move. He is too heavy to pick up so after lots of treats we finally cajoled him back to the house where he toddled off to bed. This morning was much better, and I am noticing he is better in the a.m. than p.m. I saw this morning that the 3rd eyelid had receded a bit, so I am encouraged by that.
The ophthalmologist has been great and I would recommend him to anyone in the Houston area.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Horners Syndrome affects the whole nervous system. If itā€™s the eye, is it like a sunken eye, saggy/exposed 3rd eyelid? Bells another neurological syndrome that will sink have the face.

Now this is me, if it was one of pups, he/she would be on Vitamin B Complex injections. Vit B Complex helps reactivate the nervous system. Btw, itā€™s extremely rare a dog or even human overdose on Vit B Complex. I know you can buy it online. Do talk to your vet about it.

Why I swear by Vit Bā€™s? About 18yrs ago I got Bells or Bells got me. I swear I freaked out. Iā€™ve researched 24/7 n fell on a lady in Liverpool UK that told her bell story. She took Vit B Complex 50 as supplements 3x a day. Took her a few months to see results. I figured I have nothing to lose n took the Vit B 100 complex instead of the 50 as your body will pee out what it doesnā€™t use. Took exactly 3 weeks n my face went back to normal. 3 weeks! In a nutshell, we have nerves, yes everywhere, but the ones on the side of scull, behind the ears that goes down towards the cheeks controls your facial expression. Basically it reactivates them nerves. Well, dogs have same nerves. This is just a thought but you should definitely look into it. If Buster does his normal routine n tumour is ruled out, up to you. ā¤ļø
Thank you. I will certainly speak to the vet about the Vit B and I am glad to hear you had no long-term effects from the Bells. After reading more about Horner's and Bells, with my limited knowledge, I am leaning towards the Horner's. As it first started with the rough-housing, and he walked away from the fireplace and then the eye closed, I am thinking he bashed it. Eats and drinks just fine so I think if there was any paralysis, that would be a problem. His eye is not saggy, it's his upper eyelid and his 3rd eyelid was covering most of the eye. That has receded a bit this morning and I can see more of his actual eyeball now when I give him his eye meds. šŸ¤ž

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you. I will certainly speak to the vet about the Vit B and I am glad to hear you had no long-term effects from the Bells. After reading more about Horner's and Bells, with my limited knowledge, I am leaning towards the Horner's. As it first started with the rough-housing, and he walked away from the fireplace and then the eye closed, I am thinking he bashed it. Eats and drinks just fine so I think if there was any paralysis, that would be a problem. His eye is not saggy, it's his upper eyelid and his 3rd eyelid was covering most of the eye. That has receded a bit this morning and I can see more of his actual eyeball now when I give him his eye meds. šŸ¤ž
Hopefully eye meds keeps improving the eye.
Just make sure itā€™s Vit B ā€œCOMPLEXā€ n not just one or 2 Bā€™s. Itā€™s all of them. šŸ‘ Keep us posted ā¤ļø

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Wow.. what an ordeal! I pray he heals up soon!

Crazy as it sounds, Lambeau has an eye ulcer right now too :(. It is actually under his third eye lid hiding behind the bottom lid. He keeps it closed most of timeā€¦ a drop and an ointment follow up on Monday.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow.. what an ordeal! I pray he heals up soon!

Crazy as it sounds, Lambeau has an eye ulcer right now too :(. It is actually under his third eye lid hiding behind the bottom lid. He keeps it closed most of timeā€¦ a drop and an ointment follow up on Monday.
Oh no. I'm sorry to hear that. It's not something you need to deal with.
Buster had to wear his cone again today as he decided to try to rub his eye on the carpet. He hasn't had to wear it for a while after wearing it for 7 weeks. Ugh.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I don't know if you all remember a previous post about Buster's ongoing eye problems, an ulcer that wouldn't heal for months. Well, things have just gone downhill. Last weekend, I noticed his good eye (if you can call it that) was closed. He had been rough-housing a little with our dachshund and I thought he had bumped into the brick fireplace. His eye remained closed and what little I could see was that his 3rd eyelid covered most of his eye. He was bumping into things. I was at the ophthalmologist as soon as they opened Monday a.m. The good news is the ulcer has finally healed but he is at a loss to fully explain why he is keeping that eye closed. One of the causes could be Horners Syndrome or another thought was Bells Palsy. As it is now, he is virtually blind. He does well enough around the house and what minuscule sight he has seems to come and go. Outside, we have to watch him very carefully and guide him until he gets on the grass, then he is OK until the return to the house. He is getting quite good at following at my heels, however. If we put his collar or harness on he just plants his feet and refuses to budge! I have looked up both Horners and Bells and it seems like it could go away, maybe. We don't think it was a stroke. His appetite is good and he still wants to spend most of his time on my knee.
Has anyone had any experience with either of these two problems or have any insight?
No experience with either in canines. However, Bells Palsy I'm familiar with in humans. The Mother of one of my employees had it and lost all motor control on left side of her face. Her face literally looked melted on one side. Several trips to doctors and a couple weeks later she found a Cardiologist that practices acupuncture as a hobby. He treated her 4 times and restored her face to normal operation. She's been good ever since.
Perhaps, seek out an acupuncture Vet. Hope you get some sort of resolution.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oh no. I'm sorry to hear that. It's not something you need to deal with.
Buster had to wear his cone again today as he decided to try to rub his eye on the carpet. He hasn't had to wear it for a while after wearing it for 7 weeks. Ugh.
The meds werenā€™t working well so Dr put a contact lens In yesterdayā€¦ hopefully it will help

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
The meds werenā€™t working well so Dr put a contact lens In yesterdayā€¦ hopefully it will help
I hope it stays in longer than what it did with Buster! The Dr tried on 3 separate appointments and the lens never stayed in. I couldn't see it so I never actually knew when it came out.
Buster's eye is still about the same. The 3rd eyelid has receded a little more but his eye remains mostly closed. He does much better in the mornings than at night which of course, I am sure is because of the light. When we take him out at night (or try to take him out) he bumps into everything if we are not careful. We try to lead the way with torches but it is not very successful. He will NOT be guided with a collar (stubborn boy) so we have to kind of shuffle along beside him and try to steer him away from plant pots etc and the pool! If he doesn't want to go out for a last pee, we don't make him, we let him be the judge. He does very well in the house thankfully.
Fingers crossed Lambeau's eye is now doing better and the lens stays in.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I hope it stays in longer than what it did with Buster! The Dr tried on 3 separate appointments and the lens never stayed in. I couldn't see it so I never actually knew when it came out.
Buster's eye is still about the same. The 3rd eyelid has receded a little more but his eye remains mostly closed. He does much better in the mornings than at night which of course, I am sure is because of the light. When we take him out at night (or try to take him out) he bumps into everything if we are not careful. We try to lead the way with torches but it is not very successful. He will NOT be guided with a collar (stubborn boy) so we have to kind of shuffle along beside him and try to steer him away from plant pots etc and the pool! If he doesn't want to go out for a last pee, we don't make him, we let him be the judge. He does very well in the house thankfully.
Fingers crossed Lambeau's eye is now doing better and the lens stays in.
Agree with you ... I can't tell if the lens is in or not... I just try to notice if he is closing the eye, if so, then I'll assume that it fell out. I'm still doing an ointment twice a day and we go back Monday for a check. I can see his eye is still swollen so I'm not sure he is getting any relief. he was doing so well, going on walks without resisting, starting to play again and wanting his marrow bone.... now, again, all he wants to do is sleep. (sigh)

I'll keep praying for Buster... he needs some relief as well.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
This is Buster today. His left eye has opened up a bit but his vision is still very limited. It is an improvement though (y)

Attachments

• Buster's eye.jpg
    Buster's eye.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 16

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
This is Buster today. His left eye has opened up a bit but his vision is still very limited. It is an improvement though (y)
Exactly how Lambeau looksā€¦. So good to see him opening even if just a little

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
@1Chumly I bought these head lights for my dogs. I put them around their necks like a dog collar at night. I have flood lights around the house n shops but it gets pitch black on acreages n Sadie is use to do her business away from the house. Nyala started to wonder near the chicken coop at night, plus sheā€™s dark too. These lights lites the ground wherever they walk. They also have different modes. Even a flashing mode. Itā€™s extremely bright. Might help for yours to see where heā€™s walking?

Members online

No members online now.