Hello, I've learned so much from this group...it's a wonderful forum! I wanted to ask about TPLO surgery vs laser therapy vs. other options?? My boy (Duke - 2.5 years old) was diagnosed with torn CCL ligament and our vet consulted an orthopedic surgeon (after xray) and they recommended TPLO surgery. I am just starting my research/educational journey and wanted to see if anyone has experienced laser therpay? I'm not ruling out the TPLO surgery option but wanted to explore all options. Any feedback/comments are appreciated, thank you in advance.
View attachment 123900
Duke is cute!
My French Bulldog has been getting Laser therapy since September/ October, and it has really helped.
Some vets do it, but I know a lady that does it and she is a mobile service and actually comes to to your house so the dog is more comfortable.
My dog is nervous around new people, but he loves it and he sleeps during the session, and also tries to play with her.
A few people I know, they all had a dog with torn CCL and one of those dogs couldnāt do surgery, all of them did the laser therapy and the dog is running around on all 4 legs.
My dog gets it for IVDD to maintain his spine and she does all his legs too every session. Also when my dog had a severe ear infection and was really red and irritated, she did the laser therapy on his ears too where they were crusty and red/irritated, and it helped and made him more comfortable.
We have it done 1 day per month for maintenance, but depending on the problem, you do 2 days per week, then 1 day per week, then 1 day every other week, and then try to work up to 1 day per month, depending on how well the dog is doing.
Someone else I know, she has a dog who 100% could NOT get up and barely able to lift her head up, they were gonna put her down and the laser therapy was the last thing they tried before resorting to say good bye, and after 4 sessions, the dog is running around.
Every dog is different though, but I would definitely try it before resorting to surgery.
Just sharing my experience and the other personās experience with the laser therapy.
Keep us updated.