Heart worm preventative- what are folks using?

Squeezer

Nov 6, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cozmeaux ,Elvis
We have a 5 month old female EB who has what I think is an adverse reaction to Nextgard flea and tick prev medicationā€¦.she has had a couple of seizures since we gave her the Nextgard and , after reading many online threads about the toxins in the flea and tick meds., I really believe that the seizures were caused by the Nextgard. As an aside, we are giving the puppy Kreppa ( anti-seizure med), and sheā€™s not had any recurrence of a seizure.

Based on information in online threads on this site, as well as other forums, we have decided to try the Earth MD Outdoor Shield fro flea and tick prevention going forward. We live in Texas, so fleas and ticks can be an issue year roundā€¦.

I am reaching out to find out what folks are using for heart worm prevention, par if you are using something other than Heartguard, Advantage, etcā€¦something that is made up of natural ingredients like Outdoor Shield.

We would really like to get our EBā€™s off of any of the chemical- based preventatives to the extent we can.

thanks in advance for anything you are able to share.

Keith

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I too am looking for a heartworm alternative. Flea/tick I use a homemade mix of with hazel, neem and coconut oils... I do have to spray them and brush through coat each day but at least I know it is better to use.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
It is a big problem. We live in Texas too and our main concern is heartworm. It only takes one bite from an infected mosquito to infect a dog and as much as we try to control them, they are everywhere. We have fake grass so not quite so concerned about fleas and ticks. We use Advantage Multi and as much as I hate the chemicals, I don't know what else to do. šŸ˜Ÿ

OP
S

Squeezer

Nov 6, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cozmeaux ,Elvis
It is a big problem. We live in Texas too and our main concern is heartworm. It only takes one bite from an infected mosquito to infect a dog and as much as we try to control them, they are everywhere. We have fake grass so not quite so concerned about fleas and ticks. We use Advantage Multi and as much as I hate the chemicals, I don't know what else to do. šŸ˜Ÿ
Okay thanks much!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I have never given any of my dogs Nextgard flea n tick prev meds. Once when the breeder gave my previous Duke as a pup. šŸ¤Ø As most knows me in here, I refuse to inject or wrap any of my dogs with pesticides. These are 100% chemicals. I donā€™t even give any yearly shots to them. If you research this carefully which took me a few yrs cause thereā€™s a lot of studies out there, you will notice the cancers n other health issues has skyrocketed in our pets just like humans. BUT, this is MY opinion n I donā€™t expect anyone to do what I do. Iā€™m on the holistic side n never had issues with my dogs. Definitely they are not immune from anything but it definitely works for us.

I simply use essential oils. Iā€™ve walk in the Rockies numerous times cause I lived not to far n itā€™s known for ticks. I mix witch hazel, with lavender, tea tree, peppermint oils. I use to add more different oils but it wasnā€™t necessary. I spray my dogs n off we went. I would also add a couple drops of pure lavender oil directly on the dogs collar. Summer we just pasted, mosquitoes was horrible n I would spray them. Not one would land on them. I even sprayed the cows cause flies were also bad. Not one landed on them either. Cows had a different mix with Apple cider vinegar. It simply works. Even my vet wanted the recipe for his horses. šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø

OP
S

Squeezer

Nov 6, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cozmeaux ,Elvis
I have never given any of my dogs Nextgard flea n tick prev meds. Once when the breeder gave my previous Duke as a pup. šŸ¤Ø As most knows me in here, I refuse to inject or wrap any of my dogs with pesticides. These are 100% chemicals. I donā€™t even give any yearly shots to them. If you research this carefully which took me a few yrs cause thereā€™s a lot of studies out there, you will notice the cancers n other health issues has skyrocketed in our pets just like humans. BUT, this is MY opinion n I donā€™t expect anyone to do what I do. Iā€™m on the holistic side n never had issues with my dogs. Definitely they are not immune from anything but it definitely works for us.

I simply use essential oils. Iā€™ve walk in the Rockies numerous times cause I lived not to far n itā€™s known for ticks. I mix witch hazel, with lavender, tea tree, peppermint oils. I use to add more different oils but it wasnā€™t necessary. I spray my dogs n off we went. I would also add a couple drops of pure lavender oil directly on the dogs collar. Summer we just pasted, mosquitoes was horrible n I would spray them. Not one would land on them. I even sprayed the cows cause flies were also bad. Not one landed on them either. Cows had a different mix with Apple cider vinegar. It simply works. Even my vet wanted the recipe for his horses. šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø
Thanks for the info!

Rachelle0015

Mar 12, 2024
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dixxon

Hello, can you list the amounts of witch hazel and oils you use? I would love to try this spray to keep the mosquitoes away as they are really bad where I live. Thank you!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
@Rachelle0015
Iā€™ll do the cup way as Canada is more metric

Approx 1 cup of WH ā€¦..ORā€¦.. 1/2 WH n 1/2 cup Water

add these essential oils:

15 drops of each: Peppermint, Lavender, Lemongrass n Eucalyptus
10 drops of Tea Tree
Shake well

Also I do add pure lavender directly on the outside dog collar when mosquitoes are unbearable.

You can also spray on n comb in and add another fast spray without combing in.

Peppermint n Lavender are the key oils. Do use a high end oil like DoTerra online. Theyā€™re others out there that are quality. But if it says 100% pure or pure, most of the time theyā€™re not. Theyā€™re just trying to twist words.

Rachelle0015

Mar 12, 2024
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dixxon
@Rachelle0015
Iā€™ll do the cup way as Canada is more metric

Approx 1 cup of WH ā€¦..ORā€¦.. 1/2 WH n 1/2 cup Water

add these essential oils:

15 drops of each: Peppermint, Lavender, Lemongrass n Eucalyptus
10 drops of Tea Tree
Shake well

Also I do add pure lavender directly on the outside dog collar when mosquitoes are unbearable.

You can also spray on n comb in and add another fast spray without combing in.

Peppermint n Lavender are the key oils. Do use a high end oil like DoTerra online. Theyā€™re others out there that are quality. But if it says 100% pure or pure, most of the time theyā€™re not. Theyā€™re just trying to twist words.
Thank you!

Members online

No members online now.