helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
What happened w/the Acana? I guess I missed that thread... Lol

In a nutshell, the US plant wanted some of their own ingredients n not all Canadian ingredients. So that was the issue. My moto.....Dont touch what's not broken! Some Acana in the US wasnt touched so you need to know which ones n read or just stick to Orijen as that wasnt touched and it's the same company.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
The only negative thing I can say about Zignature is they don't specify whether their dog foods are all life stages, and the ones I looked at were too low in calcium to be suitable for puppies. Otherwise they look like fine foods, although I think Orijen is better.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Because of the manufacturing change, I could no longer get the Pacifica so fed Monty Wild Atlantic instead. He had a massive yeast outbreak and that was the only thing that changed so I am putting it down to that. No more Acana for him which was a shame as he was doing great on the Canadian food. They added/changed so much in their recipes that I stopped feeding him any of their food.

UGH... I was thinking of using Acana for a food trial. Here we go :facepalm2:

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
UGH... I was thinking of using Acana for a food trial. Here we go :facepalm2:

I still love the US Acana and hank has done great on it...I don't think it's a production issue, it's an ingredient issue with some dogs. Hank has never had an issue with it and it has always been fresh, and smelled great! (I will say though that The only time he had food issues was when his dad got him a bag of something from the store and he was kind of yeasty so I put him on the Acana 6 fish and it cleared right up) ... he's had a variety of flavors, and though we are mostly home cooked now,(HK etc) I did get a bag of the duck and pear and he is doing wonderful, according to his poops, hair, eyes etc. It's great stuff!!! Even here in the ole USA ;) I gave for four days in the morning only, and poops perfect. AND, yes, I'm a rotator but!!!! I do know when something works for him as I gave him Goat sojo's and it's a definite NOPE... Slime in his afternoon poop and tried again weeks later and that time puked it out 5 hours later!!! so, anyway, I wouldn't be afraid of it... Unless you see something your dog doesn't do good with, it's a good healthy product :) my 2cents ;)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I still love the US Acana and hank has done great on it...I don't think it's a production issue, it's an ingredient issue with some dogs. Hank has never had an issue with it and it has always been fresh, and smelled great! (I will say though that The only time he had food issues was when his dad got him a bag of something from the store and he was kind of yeasty so I put him on the Acana 6 fish and it cleared right up) ... he's had a variety of flavors, and though we are mostly home cooked now,(HK etc) I did get a bag of the duck and pear and he is doing wonderful, according to his poops, hair, eyes etc. It's great stuff!!! Even here in the ole USA ;) I gave for four days in the morning only, and poops perfect. AND, yes, I'm a rotator but!!!! I do know when something works for him as I gave him Goat sojo's and it's a definite NOPE... Slime in his afternoon poop and tried again weeks later and that time puked it out 5 hours later!!! so, anyway, I wouldn't be afraid of it... Unless you see something your dog doesn't do good with, it's a good healthy product :) my 2cents ;)

EXACTLY!!!! US wanted to us their fish instead of Canadian fish. Like helloooooo our fish isn't fished out of Thailand...nothing is wrong with it. More politics too. Ok I'll be quite....:peace2:

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Well just for the heck of it, I decided to order the zignature kangaroo at chewy.. just got a notice "We regret to inform you that due to legislation, the following products containing kangaroo cannot be sold or shipped to California:" isnt that something!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Acana USA just didn't work for Monty. As one person wrote on Dogfoodadvisor "with all the crap they added, I feel like I should be feeding a bearded dragon instead of a dog" or words to that effect! Go to DFAdvisor, do a search for Acana USA and go down and read the reviews. If it works for your dog, wonderful. We all know what suits one dog, doesn't suit another. As I said before, I was very happy with the brand.... until the change and the resulting problems.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Acana USA just didn't work for Monty. As one person wrote on Dogfoodadvisor "with all the crap they added, I feel like I should be feeding a bearded dragon instead of a dog" or words to that effect! Go to DFAdvisor, do a search for Acana USA and go down and read the reviews. If it works for your dog, wonderful. We all know what suits one dog, doesn't suit another. As I said before, I was very happy with the brand.... until the change and the resulting problems.

What are you feeding now? I was looking at the Orijen, and the price was almost double of the Fromm's. Good grief...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I would go with orijen but when you have 2 dogs and more it can become expensive for sure. Like most ive tried everything out there many years of trail. And by fluke fell on orijen. My dogs just did great on it. My GS at 8yrs old still never had hip issues as per his vet. He said usually at that age it shows. GS are know for hip issues but not Major. Great shape. Why I always approved that brand. Also you give less as its rich in calories. So never give what the bag says. If you give less comes out same price as fromm.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I was just looking at the blue bag Orijen and if your dog doesn't have a prob with chicken WOW does that one look good! Price is better even.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
What are you feeding now? I was looking at the Orijen, and the price was almost double of the Fromm's. Good grief...

I feed Zignature and all is well!! Unless something unexpected happens, I am sticking with it!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Boils down to.....what works for your dog (grain free) stick to it!

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
3 days in and Chunky is doing well with the Zignature Kangaroo and acts like he is feeling better. There is still some Acana Duck and Pear mixed in with the Zignature but he is getting more Zignature than the Acana since I was almost out of it when I picked up the new food

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Glad to hear Chunky is doing well on the Zignature. Even if he's doing great it's still a good idea to switch proteins in a few months so he doesn't get allergic to the kangaroo. Both my dogs came to me on inexpensive chicken based grain based dog foods ( one on Actr1um, a Walmart Canada house brand, and the other on Purina Pro Plan shredded chicken ). Since then I've had them on Orijen, Acana, President's Choice (Canadian house brand from Loblaws), Nutrience Sub Zero, and now on Canisource Grand Cru beef raw dehydrated (Canadian brand from Quebec). I haven't noticed too much difference so far between any of these higher quality foods to tell you the truth. My allergic dog has licked paws and never had really firm poos the entire time I've had her. I posted in another thread that I just bought some Only Natural Pet EasyRaw dehydrated raw grain free dog food today so I will try that one out next once I finish my current stocks.

3 days in and Chunky is doing well with the Zignature Kangaroo and acts like he is feeling better. There is still some Acana Duck and Pear mixed in with the Zignature but he is getting more Zignature than the Acana since I was almost out of it when I picked up the new food

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
I see you say bowel problems my George had those too and raw feeding has been the solution. Each to their own but it's food for thought. I was against it to start with but now I wouldn't feed a dog anything else. If this new food works for you that's great but if not I hope you would consider raw as a possible solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.