Need advice on soft stools and new puppy.

BowsersDad1

Jan 7, 2024
New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
Hello everyone,
We have some concerns with our puppyā€™s food/digestive issues. We are new to the forum so I will give a breakdown below of our dog/concern.

We are new English Bulldog owners. Bowser is now 10-1/2 months and weā€™ve had him for about 5 months. He is currently 55lbs and his body shape is ideal. He is broad at the shoulders and tapers down to a ā€œVā€ at the hips. He has no known health issues and exhibits none other than so minor digestive issues at the moment (which may not even be issues).

He came to us from the breeder eating Victor dog food in the purple bag. He had some signs of allergies with excessive shedding and runny eyes so we decided to start the search of a better quality kibble. We tried 3 different Stella and Chewyā€™s baked kibble varieties (courtesy of Petco) but it was too rich for his stomach and caused excessive diarrhea. After each attempt we went back to Victor because even though there were other issues, his stomach was perfect. We transitioned slowly back and forth each time and used probiotics to aid.

Fast forward now using a small family owned pet shop, we are now using Health Extensions Lamb and brown rice formula for all life stages. After the initial transition he was perfect! All the allergies were gone, his eyes stopped tearing, his stools were firm and didnā€™t smells at all, and he was shedding a lot less. It was very clear that this food was the best for him so far. After 2 whole 30lbs bags he started to have soft, smelly stools again. Itā€™s not diarrhea but itā€™s soft and yellowish. We do notice that the first poop of the day is perfectly hard and brown and it declines as the day goes on and just gets softer and more yellow. We are now wondering could he have developed an allergy to this too? Are we feeding him too much and he canā€™t absorb it all? Are there other factors?

He eats 1 1/2 cups, 2 times a day for a total of 3 cups per day (stated in the puppy section of the bag). For adults of his weight, it suggests a total of 2 cups per day but we havenā€™t reduced feeding yet to the adult portion. We are very lite handed on the treats and often give him bits of kibble in lure of treats to keep calories down.

The store that suggested Health Extensions also carries Fromms, but recommended Health Extensions over it. I know most people prefer Fromms on this forum but weā€™ve read mixed reviews on it and donā€™t want to change foods until necessary.

What do you think could be happening and what food do you guys suggest for English Bulldogs? We ultimately want to do dyi fresh cooked but want to get an allergy test first and wait until after heā€™s 1yr old.

Sorry for the read and thank you in advance! We love this boy so much and want the best for him.
IMG_5048.jpeg

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I would try reducing the amount of food a bit. Also, add in a probiotic if you are not already doing so. You can also try adding in some pure pumpkin, not the pie filling.

OP
BowsersDad1

BowsersDad1

Jan 7, 2024
New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
I was thinking about reducing the food. Do you generally know when people reduce it to the ā€œadultā€ amount when using all life stages food?

We just started him on probiotics again.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I donā€™t necessarily reduce base on age but use the poop consistency as a guide as to when I start reducing.

Also, Iā€™ve never followed the feeding guidelines on the bag.

OP
BowsersDad1

BowsersDad1

Jan 7, 2024
New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
I donā€™t necessarily reduce base on age but use the poop consistency as a guide as to when I start reducing.

Also, Iā€™ve never followed the feeding guidelines on the bag.
Ahh I see. Makes sense, thatā€™s why I thought maybe he's eating too much. If you donā€™t mind me asking what brand do you feed?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ahh I see. Makes sense, thatā€™s why I thought maybe he's eating too much. If you donā€™t mind me asking what brand do you feed?
My 2 boys eat raw and my 2 girls eat Open Farm with Ancient Grains.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
You can do large cuts quickly and see what happens. Cut down by half and you should have a very good idea after a day or two.

OP
BowsersDad1

BowsersDad1

Jan 7, 2024
New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
You can do large cuts quickly and see what happens. Cut down by half and you should have a very good idea after a day or two.
Iā€™m sure heā€™s not going to like that much haha. Today we cut 1/2 cup each feeding so heā€™s getting a total of 2 cups instead of 3 cups. So far heā€™s only poop twice but they have been better. We shall seeā€¦.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Any update?

OP
BowsersDad1

BowsersDad1

Jan 7, 2024
New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
99% of chronic soft stool problems in young dogs are caused by overfeeding.
Noted. What was baffling is that it wasnā€™t chronic until recently. I guess that was his way of letting us know it was time to reduce his portions from puppy to adult. šŸ™‚

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
So it appears that itā€™s getting a little better. We cut his food down by 1/2 cup per day and heā€™s going less often and seems to be firming up.

You should expect quick results that don't need time to taper. It might be worth seeing what happens when reducing further...

He is broad at the shoulders and tapers down to a ā€œVā€ at the hips.

I'm curious if you could post a photograph from above. Ideally the shape should be pear, not V. Larger up front but sort of hourglass in general as the loins pull inward before you get to the hips. overweight will lose the loin shape, so you'll end up with a V or Sausage depending on the rib spring.

1704992373966.png

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
We see this most often when owners switch from sorry food(ya hear that, Purina!) to quality food. Typically, with higher quality, more nutritious foods, less food is required. Most Bulldogs older than 6 months require about 1 cup of decent kibble twice per day. Figure a little less for a smaller or less active specimen and a little more for bigger framed and/or more active dog.
I hope your pup is all sorted now.

Members online

No members online now.