Need advice on soft stools and new puppy.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
You can also throw in a handful of frozen green beans to help as a "filler" if he is acting like he's starving from the cut down of food. If issues persist, you can try switching brands or protein and if issues still persist, you have a fecal test done to rule out any parasites.

OP
BowsersDad1

BowsersDad1

Jan 7, 2024
New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
You should expect quick results that don't need time to taper. It might be worth seeing what happens when reducing further...

I'm curious if you could post a photograph from above. Ideally the shape should be pear, not V. Larger up front but sort of hourglass in general as the loins pull inward before you get to the hips. overweight will lose the loin shape, so you'll end up with a V or Sausage depending on the rib spring.

View attachment 125080
I can take a picture in a bit as I have none that are from above in my phone. Maybe ā€œvā€ wasnā€™t the best term to describe it, heā€™s shaped more like the diagram you posted.

OP
BowsersDad1

BowsersDad1

Jan 7, 2024
New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
You should expect quick results that don't need time to taper. It might be worth seeing what happens when reducing further...

I'm curious if you could post a photograph from above. Ideally the shape should be pear, not V. Larger up front but sort of hourglass in general as the loins pull inward before you get to the hips. overweight will lose the loin shape, so you'll end up with a V or Sausage depending on the rib spring.

View attachment 125080
Okay so he wonā€™t sit still but in real life heā€™s a bit bigger on top and more tapered at the waste than in the photo but this is close to reality.

Attachments

• IMG_5412.jpeg
    IMG_5412.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 20

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Okay so he wonā€™t sit still but in real life heā€™s a bit bigger on top and more tapered at the waste than in the photo but this is close to reality.

He doesnā€™t appear overweight, to me, from the top.

Puppies grow fast. šŸ¤£ overshooting feed and getting soft stools is pretty common. Many people use the stool consistency along with visual physique to adjust feeding.

With that being said, 3 cups is too much by this age. 2 is good. I would follow the rest of the advice on this thread

OP
BowsersDad1

BowsersDad1

Jan 7, 2024
New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
He doesnā€™t appear overweight, to me, from the top.

Puppies grow fast. šŸ¤£ overshooting feed and getting soft stools is pretty common. Many people use the stool consistency along with visual physique to adjust feeding.

With that being said, 3 cups is too much by this age. 2 is good. I would follow the rest of the advice on this thread
Awesome, thank you for your help.

OP
BowsersDad1

BowsersDad1

Jan 7, 2024
New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
We see this most often when owners switch from sorry food(ya hear that, Purina!) to quality food. Typically, with higher quality, more nutritious foods, less food is required. Most Bulldogs older than 6 months require about 1 cup of decent kibble twice per day. Figure a little less for a smaller or less active specimen and a little more for bigger framed and/or more active dog.
I hope your pup is all sorted now
From day one weā€™ve been on the hunt for a good quality kibble. Itā€™s been a bit frustrating as he didnā€™t respond well to most of them (they were all too rich). This was the only food that we felt was decent quality and really made a difference with allergies/shedding. My Vet told us that it wasnā€™t possible to overfeed a puppy šŸ¤Ŗ but we didnā€™t quite believe him so we decided to feed on the more cautious side. I had a feeling he was due for a smaller portion. Heā€™s got so much energy itā€™s crazy, all he wants to do is play play play all day.

Last edited:
OP
BowsersDad1

BowsersDad1

Jan 7, 2024
New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
So quick update. It appears that the health extension lamb and brown rice recipe Iā€™ve been using has two different formulas. The old bags I was using is the ā€œnewā€ formula and the last one was the ā€œoldā€ one. They are two completely different formulas which would explain the sudden change in him. I have since contacted the company and gave more than an ear full and they sent me a replacement bag. Heā€™s been on it for a week now and weā€™re seeing some improvements with shedding, tearing, and less smelly stoolsā€¦.. his stools are still on the softer side though.

I am completely turned off by this experience, do you guys have any suggestions on a preferred kibble brand?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Zingnature, Open Farm, Famina, Fromm, are a few

Members online

No members online now.