Allergy flare up....

Natalie&Milo

Jun 12, 2022
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Milo
Hi all, my boy is 8 and has suffered with allergies for the past 4 years. We've tried numerous elimination diets that have worked short term and he's then flared up again. His list of allergies is endless. We've got him on a fish only kibble as raw didn't seem to agree with his stomach alot of the time either. He's currently having the mother of all flares ups that's lasted roughly 5 weeks maybe longer. His paws are like balloons, tear stains and face is raw, under his chin is hairless now and red raw. We resorted to a vets trip a month ago as I couldn't control it and he's been on antibiotics and steroids to help shift which havnt made any difference so he's off the antibiotics and on reduced steroids now. We are awaiting a urine sample result as his wee has traces of protein in. If we get good news today from this I'm looking at what I can do to that his face to help calm it down? I will be changing his bowels to concrete or porcelainand trying the bottle/filtered water method. And also looking at his food again and adding a probiotic.
Up to now I have tried on his face, lucillian spray, cordial silver spray hibi scrub which I found too harsh, cooled boiled water, medicated talc to try and dry it out, all of have not made any difference.
Can anyone recommend a shampoo that isn't Malsab or anything else I can put on it to help heal it please?
Thank you x

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hi all, my boy is 8 and has suffered with allergies for the past 4 years. We've tried numerous elimination diets that have worked short term and he's then flared up again. His list of allergies is endless. We've got him on a fish only kibble as raw didn't seem to agree with his stomach alot of the time either. He's currently having the mother of all flares ups that's lasted roughly 5 weeks maybe longer. His paws are like balloons, tear stains and face is raw, under his chin is hairless now and red raw. We resorted to a vets trip a month ago as I couldn't control it and he's been on antibiotics and steroids to help shift which havnt made any difference so he's off the antibiotics and on reduced steroids now. We are awaiting a urine sample result as his wee has traces of protein in. If we get good news today from this I'm looking at what I can do to that his face to help calm it down? I will be changing his bowels to concrete or porcelainand trying the bottle/filtered water method. And also looking at his food again and adding a probiotic.
Up to now I have tried on his face, lucillian spray, cordial silver spray hibi scrub which I found too harsh, cooled boiled water, medicated talc to try and dry it out, all of have not made any difference.
Can anyone recommend a shampoo that isn't Malsab or anything else I can put on it to help heal it please?
Thank you x

I have a dog with very bad allergy too, he also had tear stains and raw skin and bad skin infections.

What brand of food are you feeding him??

The following is what I have done thats helped my dog:

-Raw diet( home cooked is next best, or a high end kibble)
-Four Leaf Rover brand - Red Rover berry blend supplement, that really has been the only thing that helped his tear stains go away and also helped his allergies.
-Four Leaf Rover brand- Bovine colostrum is the best for environmental allergies, it’s a natural version of Benadryl without the side effects, so immune boosting too, I give the powder by itself in his dish 30 minutes before I give him breakfast cause it works best on empty stomach.

For the raw irritated skin I use:
-Adored Beast brand- Owees Oopsies spray for wounds, it definitely helps I find.

- Natural dog company brand- Skin Soother balm.

-wrinkle balm is also good for the wrinkles by Natural dog company too.

For shampoo:

Kin and kind brand- itchy dog shampoo and the soothing conditioner too OR 4 Legger brand Hypoallergenic soothing shampo.

Probiotics are also beneficial for allergies and yeast issues. I give Adored beast brand, All of them work good, healthy gut probiotic would be beneficial.

For good brands of kibble:

-Carna 4 oven baked kibble comes in goat and venison and fish formulas

-Orijen or Acana are also good

-natures logic kibbel( comes in rabbit and sardine formulas too)

Omega 3 like herring oil are really beneficial too.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Also I forgot to mention in my first response,
another reason he might do well with elimination diet then flare up after is cause when they eat the same thing every day, they become allergic to what they eat everyday when there is no variety.

Some food allergies can be prevented by rotating proteins even if it’s kibble or home cooked or raw diet, still always recommended rotating proteins, at least 4-5 per month if you can.

My dog developed an allergy to pork from eating it every day as a pup and now he is allergic to pork now.

I rotate thru 4-5 different formulas of the raw diet in 1 week, for example,

Beef/salmon formula(2 days per week)
Kangaroo(2 days per week)
Goat-(2 days per week)
Pure beef-(1 day per week)

And I add omega 3 oil on the days he doesn’t get the beef/salmon formula.

I am trying to add another 1-2 formulas to add in to the rotation, but with him picky and him being extra sensitive it’s not always easy,I recommend you try for at least 1-2 more options and rotate them so he doesn’t become allergic to what he is eating. Cause if something he is not allergic to then after a few months he starts flaring up, he could be just becoming allergic to the food he is being fed daily without variety.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Seeing you are in UK... I'm not familiar enough with food choice, but you want to try and go with a less allergen proteins like duck or turkey. See if you can find a single protein limited ingredient food.

Also... wipe face, belly and paws after being on grass.. it helps lessen environmental impact.

Do you have Cytopoint shots in UK? We use that for Lambeau and it really helps, he gets one shot every 4-6 weeks.

Members online

No members online now.