Semi-Freaking Out

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
No, she hasn't. I went ahead and set up another appointment for tomorrow. I want his ears re-checked. He's been shaking his head a little, and last time she said she couldn't see all the way in because of the meds, so by now that should have cleared. I made an appt for tomorrow at 12. I want answers, not giving up!

The only thing we can think of is this: He had an infection, I applied the ointment, which is considered a toxin (throw it away if you have it) and that ruptured his ear drum. Everything I've read says a ruptured drug causes temporary hearing loss. Most say the hearing comes back once it heals, but there are a small amount that don't. I need her to look at his ears again to see if she can see the drum area now. I don't believe that he just loses his hearing in the matter of one day, and if our theory is correct, it makes sense (the hearing loss).

In humans it does but in dogs idk. And yes you're right ....you need an answer for sure. I would do the same.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Wait? Mometamax is toxic?

Sending prayers to you both... keep us posted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Wait? Mometamax is toxic?

Sending prayers to you both... keep us posted?

Yes!!!!!! If it gets into a certain part of the ear. And it says it on the damn insert too, CAN LEAD TO HEARING LOSS. Ugh. Bad mom here, I've never read inserts before. Throw that crap away if you have it!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes!!!!!! If it gets into a certain part of the ear. And it says it on the damn insert too, CAN LEAD TO HEARING LOSS. Ugh. Bad mom here, I've never read inserts before. Throw that crap away if you have it!

:faint: Holy crap... holy crap!!!

I use it mostly external, ears I tend to use Tresaderm but i just put it in Cheli ears last week!!

UGH

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
:faint: Holy crap... holy crap!!!

I use it mostly external, ears I tend to use Tresaderm but i just put it in Cheli ears last week!!

UGH

It's insane too the amount of complaints and posts out there about it causing hearing loss to ppl's dogs. Why do you think I feel like absolute crap. I'm the one who put it in his ears, granted I had no idea... I was just trying to help. And he's used it before with no issues, it must have never gotten to that certain part. Its like past the membrane in there... I've read so much, hoping she can see his drums tomorrow.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014

Well, mine just went in the trash! It's so upsetting. You do what you are advised to do and then find out there are the possibilities of all these awful side effects. Poor Tyson, I hope the vet has positive news.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Well, mine just went in the trash! It's so upsetting. You do what you are advised to do and then find out there are the possibilities of all these awful side effects. Poor Tyson, I hope the vet has positive news.

I had 3 bottles, they are all gone. Seriously though how do they still prescribe this stuff??? If he needs antibiotics, I'm asking for oral ones. Thank you for the thoughts. I will update you all tomorrow. If my theory is right, it will take a few weeks for any improvement. Says ruptured drums take 4-6 weeks to heal ..... we shall see what vet says.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
We're back from the vet. This is a two part update. As for his ears, his ear drums are in tact (not ruptured) one ear drum is irritated. She does believe it was the medication that caused the hearing loss. As of yesterday it seems he can hear a tad better. A tad, but I'll take that. He seems to hear us more, and other noises a little better. I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but I see slight improvement. She said she believes that he'll regain at least 75% or more of it, but it will take time, another 2-3 weeks. She wants to see him again in 3 weeks. No infection present in either ear.

Part 2: When he was there last, we did an NSAID panel bc he "was" on Rimadyl for his arthritis which can affect the liver. We stay on top of that every 3 months, well the results came back, and his liver for the first time ever is very mildly elevated. She said she is not concerned, and that since we stopped the Rimadyl and put him on Galliprant, she's confident it will go back down. As a pre-caution because she knows I'm a nut case she put him on Denamarin which is a vitamin like supplement that helps support the liver to get things back to normal. Its not a drug, its OTC and similar to milk thistle. I've read up on it and it has no side effects, and from reviews and short things I've read it does what it says. So we will start that and do blood re-check in 3 months.

At first I said, oh hell... here we go with something else. Almost had a heart attack, but she reassured me that the increase is very minor, and she'd normally do nothing other than re-test in 3 months. His levels aren't even over 100, they are in the high 80s.

I suppose with age things start to happen, and I count my blessings with Tyson bc he's always been so healthy. I feel better about the hearing, and hope that it improves over the next weeks, I guess I have to be patient. (LOL,,, I have trouble with that) and I think his liver levels will be just fine at his re-check.

Thanks guys for all your prayers, and for checking up on us. I'll continue to keep you guys posted on his hearing!!! We LOVE this community so much.

And here's the Mr. Himself.... looking handsome as ever! :luv:

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We're back from the vet. This is a two part update. As for his ears, his ear drums are in tact (not ruptured) one ear drum is irritated. She does believe it was the medication that caused the hearing loss. As of yesterday it seems he can hear a tad better. A tad, but I'll take that. He seems to hear us more, and other noises a little better. I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but I see slight improvement. She said she believes that he'll regain at least 75% or more of it, but it will take time, another 2-3 weeks. She wants to see him again in 3 weeks. No infection present in either ear.

Part 2: When he was there last, we did an NSAID panel bc he "was" on Rimadyl for his arthritis which can affect the liver. We stay on top of that every 3 months, well the results came back, and his liver for the first time ever is very mildly elevated. She said she is not concerned, and that since we stopped the Rimadyl and put him on Galliprant, she's confident it will go back down. As a pre-caution because she knows I'm a nut case she put him on Denamarin which is a vitamin like supplement that helps support the liver to get things back to normal. Its not a drug, its OTC and similar to milk thistle. I've read up on it and it has no side effects, and from reviews and short things I've read it does what it says. So we will start that and do blood re-check in 3 months.

At first I said, oh hell... here we go with something else. Almost had a heart attack, but she reassured me that the increase is very minor, and she'd normally do nothing other than re-test in 3 months. His levels aren't even over 100, they are in the high 80s.

I suppose with age things start to happen, and I count my blessings with Tyson bc he's always been so healthy. I feel better about the hearing, and hope that it improves over the next weeks, I guess I have to be patient. (LOL,,, I have trouble with that) and I think his liver levels will be just fine at his re-check.

Thanks guys for all your prayers, and for checking up on us. I'll continue to keep you guys posted on his hearing!!! We LOVE this community so much.

And here's the Mr. Himself.... looking handsome as ever! :luv:

View attachment 106081View attachment 106082View attachment 106083View attachment 106084

:wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle:

LOVE this update and super love those photos..... he so totally has my heart :luv: Hugs and kisses to the Tyman... and a super big hug to Momma! Eh, tell dad ... hey :p

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
This is a great update...everything will work itself out! And yes...he is very handsome!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Thanks for the update - sounds like good news and wow he looks great!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
well blessings abound :) So glad to hear and give that beautiful boy some love from the Hankster and I... So glad to let us know and that it's on the upswing...

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
:nightfever::nightfever: Jess, We are so glad to hear Tyson, is doing better, we have been so worried!!

Rest mama!! that boy is feeling your stress!!

Lots of love from me and Ellie

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
:whew: :whew: :whew: :judges: for our little trooper!!!! WTG Big Guy!
So glad he's getting back on track. And milk thistle is fantastic for the liver!!! Good job momma. Now get some rest girl!

Members online